It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Knight Copycat Narrowly Averted in NE Ohio

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Scott A. Smith, 37, entered the 10 p.m. showing of 'The Dark Knight Rises' at Crocker Park Regal Cinemas with a bag full of ammo and knives, according to Westlake police.

Jeremiah Bullins, an off-duty Westlake police officer, noticed and searched Smith's bag. He found three knives in the bag, as well as a loaded 9 mm Glock handgun, two additional loaded magazines, and a fourth knife under his clothes. Each magazine had 17 rounds.

Police said Smith was the first person in the theater at the time of his arrest but up to 80 people would have been there 20 minutes later. He was sitting in the last row in a middle seat. This was a "tactical position," according to officers, his back to the wall and facing out

wews.m0bl.net...

This could have easily turned into a bloodbath if not for this off-duty cop being aware of his surroundings. Based on this man's choice of seating in the theater, there is little doubt what his plan was.

This is only about 30 minutes from where I live. While this should not keep people from going to see a movie, we must be more aware of what is taking place around us. I always face the door when my wife and I are out to eat. I know exactly where the exits are and who is seated around me.

Am I paranoid? Hell no. It's a crazy god damn world and my biggest responsibility is to protect my family. I refuse to let some punk with a chip on his shoulder make my loved ones and I his victims.

Could it still happen, sure, but I have lowered my chances. I see many people who would make easy victims because they're distracted.

Pay attention people. Don't become a victim.
edit on 7-8-2012 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2012 by IamAbeliever because: fixed broken link

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

It's weird that this has inspired so many attempted copycats. Usually everyone is paranoid about copycats when these things happen, but we don't really see any.

Maybe it's a sign of economic woes. More people closer to the edge.

What if he was just afraid of copycats himself so he made sure no one could get him from behind and armed himself? Haha.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

This could also be just a guy that is going to the movies, prepared for fighting off such an attack.

That would seem to be a possible result of the first shooting too.

edit on 7-8-2012 by DjangoPhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

What if he was just afraid of copycats himself

Hmmm that is an interesting point. Many people were saying the original killer might not have killed so many people if someone else in the cinema had a gun and attempted to take him out. I don't think it would be completely fair to charge this man of anything without digging deep into his head and really understanding his motives. But then again it may have been illegal to enter that cinema with all those weapons.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I can see a lawsuit. An off duty police officer searched his bags?

What gave him the right, under constitutional laws protecting from search and seizure? Just because he saw some ammo or a knife?

These were stupid items to be taking into this particular movie, but I can still sense a lawsuit coming up, as nothing illegal was being done at the time.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I thought about that. Maybe this guy was simply going to protect himself and his fellow batman fans should the SHTF. Then I started reading, and while that could still be the case, it seemed more and more like this guy meant more harm than good.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think having that much fire power on you would be overkill if you were just trying to protect yourself. I mean, you only have to shoot at one person. Unless your a terrible shot, you wouldn't need more than one loaded gun.

Wth were all the knifes for? Did he think he was going to do hand to hand combat with someone?

He was looking to cause trouble, IMO.

Thanks,
Blend57
edit on 7-8-2012 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I haven't read the article yet. I am on a mobile. I was just thinking they said the position was tactical, but it would also be the safest place in an attack (having your back against the wall on higher ground). It is later into the showing of the movie as it's been out a while, maybe the guy was so paranoid of copycats that he waited a while to see it and went armed and set up.

It was stupid for sure, and just a possibility. he very well may have wanted to kill people, but we can't just throw the book at him.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I totally agree. The article states he is on an undisclosed medication. Maybe he's just paranoid. He is former military, though it sounds like he didn't finish his enlistment.

This whole gun/prior military connection is becoming disturbing and I'm not convinced it isn't being used to further someone's agenda. Being former military I've always had a suspicion I am on some black list somewhere.

Best to know where to find those who can cause the most trouble.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think this may have the second gunman from the Denver shooting

A search warrant was executed at Smith's home late Monday. Officers found more weapons, a gas mask, tactical vest and more ammunition. Source

Again this guy had served a brief time in the military but as what. Guess it's time to start mining for information before MSM erases the truth.

I had a strong feeling that this batman shooting sag was unfinished and guess what I was right all along.

Naysayers own me apologies. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Are you suggesting there are something along the lines of sleeper cells? I mean to suggest that this guy was involved in the Aurora shooting may be a stretch.

However, I have no more evidence to say he isn't than you do to say he is at this point so if you want to elaborate and present your case, I am more than willing to listen.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Oh.. that doesn't mean anything. Lots of people have gas masks and tactical vests. My friend has one his cop dad gave him. You can buy them at army surplus stores.

I would bet that most ex military people, and all preppers have them. You don't know that you are right.
No proof yet, so don't count your chickens before they hatch.
edit on 7-8-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DjangoPhat

His public pretender will probably use that as his defense in court...smh..."okay kids lets get ready to go to the movies, dont forget to pack the fruit roll-ups, the juice boxes and the travel arsenal kit, just in case somebody flips out...
This world we live in...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Oh.. that doesn't mean anything. Lots of people have gas masks and tactical vests.
Come on man, they're not as common as you make them out to be. Tactical vests are quite expensive actually. What I find concerning, is that if this guy was indeed attempting to copy-cat the original killer, why didn't he bring the gas mask and tactical vest like the original killer and instead leave those items at his home? It seems fairly possible that this guy is the mystery second suspect we have all been talking about.
edit on 7/8/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Oh come on, now somebody sitting in a certain seat in a theater is going to be a terrorists?

Holy crap.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

I don't know, I was just making an observation.

Just saying.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Oh come on, now somebody sitting in a certain seat in a theater is going to be a terrorists?

Holy crap.

When that someone has three knives, a loaded 9mm and extra ammo, umm yea, that's gonna garner some attention.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
who goes to a movie with a duffle bag........by the description he had some kind of bag so im gonna assume duffel really weird situation

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

The weird part is that in the article it states that a cinema employee asked him to open the bag prior to entering the theater. He unzipped an outside pocket and seeing it was empty this employee let him continue into the theater.

So if one pocket is empty they all are I guess. Go figure.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

yeah i figured with the rise of film piracy going to the movie with anykind of bag gets u attention as they want to limit the cameras that can get in...let alone any one trying to smuggle in weapons hope the kid who searched the bag gets a talking do about checking all pockets

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join