It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi Conservative Calls For Putting Gay People To Death On Facebook Page

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Republicans have been furiously attacking the LGBT community ever since President Obama announced his support of marriage equality for same-sex couples. Some Republicans have taken their criticism to the extreme. In Mississippi, GOP state Rep. Andy Gipson posted a message on his Facebook page which calls for putting gays and lesbians to death.

This is the type of rhetoric that will incite people to violence. Here is what he posted to his facebook page:

“Been a lot of press on Obama’s opinion on “homosexual marriage.” The only opinion that counts is God’s: see Romans 1:26-28 and Leviticus 20:13. Anyway you slice it, it is sin. Not to mention horrific social policy.”

According to Leviticus 20:13,
“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

link

Here are the bible verses:

Romans 1:26-28
King James Version (KJV)
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Leviticus 20:13 King James Version (KJV) 13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

biblegateway

Will anyone be surprised if people in the LGBT are killed because of this type of rhetoric?

edit on 5-8-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yet divorce is legal?

I am sure there are people stupid enough to take action for this

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Guy quoted a bible verse.

Someone's overreacting.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
sweet glad to see we still have some god fearing folk left

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hey, it's his constitutional right. Although I may disagree with everything he says, I'll defend to the death his right to say it.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Oh I agree.

I couldn't disagree with this guys opinion more than I already do. However this is America and i feel he's completely within his rights to say his piece.
That's the thing we have to learn here, the right to free speech doesn't end when someone disagrees with you.

I said the same thing in that chicken fiasco. It was his right to have such a closed minded belief. I don't like it so I don't eat there.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This could be misinterpreted that he didn't call for their death, but he was just quoting a bible verse.

That being said, what would be the point of killing a gay person? It's not like it's contagious. Gay people can't reproduce on their own, so it's not going to be biologically passed down, and in a few generations everyone is gay.

Looks like this government official is hopping on the bandwagon, hoping to get more support. After all, it is an election year. (Does anyone know if he's eligible or running for re-election?)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I agree.

It's his right to say any asshole bigotted thing he wants to no matter how disgusting and anti Jesus's the message may be.

But he has the right to say it.
Even if we don't agree.
Just don't cross the line and fund a hate group.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I support his right to free speech, but I have a problem with this.

Why is everyone okay with him appearing to call for the deaths of millions of homosexuals, yet people aren't okay with speech that's offensive to certain racial groups? If someone, especially an elected official, appeared to call for the deaths of all white or black people, wouldn't that be considered a hate crime or at the very least frowned upon?

Why aren't all protected speech?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This sounds more like a political polarization effort than anything else. Stir up a hornets nest, and play both ends against the middle.
edit on 8/5/2012 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

This is from the article posted in the op:

Gipson, like many other Republicans, puts Biblical law over Constitutional law. And as a state Representative, that’s a clear violation of separation of church and state and a failure to uphold the oath of office. You know, that oath in which politicians swear to defend the Constitution. The only lawful document that matters in America is the Constitution, but Republicans like Gipson want to light it on fire and pretend the Bible is the law of this country. It’s a dangerous view that would destroy freedom, liberty, and every other American value protected by the Constitution.

Openly calling for the deaths of American citizens because they happen to be gay is an egregious offense that should force Gipson to resign his position. Because it is clear that he is unable to adhere to Constitutional values such as equality and personal liberty.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

...God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient...

Well, that does it! I've done my share of things that are not convenient, and if God frowns on it then I'm done with it. What's worse, it appears that the punishment may be death.

Next time my wife asks me to fix that screen door: "I'm sorry, dear. That would be inconvenient. The Lord could strike me down. You wouldn't want that, now, would you?"

But seriously: Idiots like that guy get people killed. I'd be the last to curb his right of free speech; but I also think he ought to be held responsible if this sort of thing takes legs....

edit on 8/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'm certainly not okay with this sob calling for the deaths of millions of homosexuals.

Not at all.

I'd like to put a price of $50,000 on his head to see how he likes it when somebody calls for the death of him.

I'm so sick of this crap.

Sometimes it seems I'm the only person in the world who believes it shouldn't matter what someone else believes or how they want to live it their life.

It should be left up to god, and people like him need to learn one thing; it is not up to them to enforce God's will. For there is one thing that God says about these kinds of bastards:

VENGEANCE IS MINE, SAYETH THE LORD.

And someday God shall wreak his vengeance against people who callr for the deaths of millions of people using his name.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Apparently Gipson may not have actually said all that in so many words at least.

But he did quote "God's Word" from the Holy Bible.

Andy Gipson
MAY 21, 2012 STATEMENT ON OPPOSITION TO SAME-SEX MARRIAGE

Earlier this month President Obama stated his personal support for the establishment of same-sex marriage in the United States of America. His statement has re-ignited a debate in this country on whether same-sex marriage should be instituted or recognized as a matter of policy.

I am and have always been opposed to same-sex marriage and/or civil unions in whatever form. On May 10, 2012 I posted a comment to my facebook page which simply stated that despite the high degree of press given to Obama’s opinion, the “only opinion that counts is God’s. Anyway you slice it, it [same-sex marriage] is sin: see Romans 1:26-28 and Leviticus 20:13.”

Since that time, a well-known radical liberal blog (The Huffington Post) ran an article falsely claiming that this facebook post was a call “to kill gay people.” Nothing could be further from the truth. I have never publicly or privately called for the killing of any people. I believe all people are created in the image of God and I stand firmly for the sanctity of all human life. All people are entitled to the protection of the laws of our nation and state protecting human life.

Any reasonable person who reads the actual post can see that both scriptures were cited only for the proposition that same-sex marriage is morally objectionable - sin. I believe this reflects the values of the vast majority of Mississippians and the people of District 77 whom I represent.

Andy Gipson website

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I know he says his statements were misinterpreted, but I don't believe him. The OP article says the posts were taken down. If they were as benign as he said, then he would've left them up as proof that his posts were read wrong.

*Edit:
I went to his FB page and he says he had to rebuild his page in late May because someone crashed or hijacked his other one. His FB page also has an article posted about the media twisting his words and how he has now received death threats in return for his statements.

All I have to say is it seems like there is too much hate in this world. Everyone should have the freedom to live their own lives without being condemned, that includes this man and the group he hates under the guise of love.
edit on 5-8-2012 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
If there is violence or death of any kind, THAT guy needs to be held responsible!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I'm not gay, but I'd much rather see this politician and any of his kin that fall into his same belief pattern put to death before any LGBT person. People like him are toxic to the growth of our nation and pretty much the world.

new topics

top topics

join