It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzee 'asks' zoo visitors to free him

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I want 2 punch that man in his condescending face .....I can only Imagine what the chimps thinking!

edit on 5-8-2012 by tracehd1 because: Spch

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

The real problem is that people have a quaint idea about most zoo's being people cuddling animals, animals being fed by hand and them posing for the camera's, whilst the odd zoo might be that many are no better than slave prisons where the animals are made to earn their food with crass man made routines that are enforced by pain and mild torture. Add to that the animal spends most of its time in tiny surroundings and you then realise that zoo's are not always the home the animal needs.

And, ironically, it is this quaint idea giving rise to the concept we have any clue at all to what the chimp is doing. Attribution of emotion or shared understanding is fallacious, especially when it comes to animals.

edit on 5-8-2012 by totallackey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisIsNotReality

So I can come and kidnap you, if only I give you three meals a day and keep you healthy?? Great, I'm on my way right now!

Yes, you can. When can I expect you arrival? I am dead serious.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Or instead of all wondering what the chimp was trying to say, you could just go to the zoo web page that was posted earlier and find out exactly what was going on!

Here it is again in case you missed it! chimp's sign language

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

I find it ironic that the same people that cry for freedom from the oppression of totalitarian governments and institutions would in the same breath support the imprisonment of a sentient being. If these chimps walked in off the jungle and volunteered to be put in the zoo that would be a different issue.

I think this is just a clever ploy to win Obama the chimp vote.

P.S.
To those who tend to overthink stuff, my joking has absolutely NOTHING to do with skin tone.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Animals weren't meant to live in cages, behind glass.

But of course, we live in our own cages, don't we? As the song goes, "cage of freedom, cast in power, all the trappings of our own desire."

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

Originally posted by GrisGris
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

He's using British sign language " please, biscuit" and pointing to the cookie close to the cage... Dumb tourist can't communicate with him.

Why are they dumb? Because they dont know sign laguage?

I saw this a few days ago, the Chimpanzee is clearly pointing first at the biscuit/snack thingy...and then even at its own hand....to give him the biscuit.

The "sad" thing about this is...that the monkey is obviously more intelligent than the person on the video..and more intelligent than 75% of internet users who fabulate some stories and cannot see what the monkey actually "says".

When i saw this, i thought that a human being who wouldn't be able to speak couldn't do a better job at gesturing/communicating without language.

>>
He looked so sad and serious. I wonder what he meant when he pointed to the palm of his hand.
>>

Let me guess...he points to the biscuit (multiple times)..and then into the palm of its hand. What could it mean? Is it so hard to figure out?
edit on 4-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

I dont know what video you are watching but thats a stone. how the hell did you get biscuit?? seriously...

and even if the chimp isnt asking to be set free the fact that there are people defending this type of barbarity is highly alarming. I suggest we put the whole bunch of you together in a fancy enclosure for 10 years and see who comes out alive.

How do you conclude I am defending having animals locked in a zoo based on my post?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

Originally posted by randomname
the chimp is clearly pointing at the orange berries on the floor.

he's hungry and motioning for food.

It doesn’t really matter what he is pointing at, or why...

What i find sad and disturbing is that we can take a magnificent and sentient lifeform and turn it into a freak show for our own pleasure and entertainment.

Peace

Your feelings aside, the truth of the matter is the chimp is not asking to be released but is asking for the food on the ground. The video is misleading and because of it this thread is misleading. Lots of readers will be under the assumption the chimp is asking to be let free and from it the "Aweeee" factor will be off the charts. Basically this thread is a complete lie and should be moved to the Hoax Bin.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by ThisIsNotReality

So I can come and kidnap you, if only I give you three meals a day and keep you healthy?? Great, I'm on my way right now!

Yes, you can. When can I expect you arrival? I am dead serious.
2 shakes of a lamb's tail

can someone kidnap me too? I'm near Ft. Bragg... any takers?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Thank you for the information. It appears the people are very concerned for the chimp.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Ha ha.............very cool

With all due respect we don't share the same kind of humor or empathy.

Let's play a mind game here: Close your eyes and imagine you are in a cage being gawked at every day, all day and you are hungry and know "feeding time" isn't for another couple hours and some being is standing in front of you with a big juicy red apple or banana (you like what he has)..............you ask him politely for it, you know you can't speak his language so you pantomime and the strange alien beings, not your species laugh at you.

Funny, haha right?

No, sad, mean, pathetic and cruel.

We're losing our humanity here folks and most of you don't even see it.

My dogs tell me exactly what they want and need and it's easy to talk to the animals, if one just listens. I hate to walk that mile and a half but come evening, our dogs tell us - get your ___ off that couch and take us for our walk!!!!!

I've had my dog bring me her water bowl when it was empty and my little guy jump on my back like a trampoline (waking me up at 3 AM) because he had to go potty.

If the case were reversed, I bet that chimp would have acted more humane than the human or had a more humane reaction then the person that replied this was "cool" and "funny".

BTW: How old are you? I ask this because that response sounds like a child's response and this (I thought) was suppose to be a site for mature people.
edit on 5-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Close your eyes and imagine you are in a cage being gawked at every day, all day and you are hungry and know "feeding time" isn't for another couple hours and some being is standing in front of you with a big juicy red apple or banana (you like what he has)..............you ask him politely for it, you know you can't speak his language so you pantomime and the strange alien beings, not your species laugh at you.

Tough tatas for me then...will have to wait for feeding time...I am not starving...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Abused dogs do the same.

It's simply an expression. Something many animals are capable of. Not so much a sign of intelligence as it is a sign of emotion.

It should be noted, if I remember correctly, that chimps don't actually understand finger pointing. As in, pointing at something. The fact this chimp seems to suggests it learned it through mimicking, which is interesting.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Zoos and circuses destroy me. I stopped going when I was a kid. I can feel their frustration of being "trapped". Looky loo people out for a day have no clue what they are funding when they pay gate fees to see the animal prison. If they saw the baby chimp covered in its mamas blood torn from her arms by the poachers who killed her for bush meat. If they witnessed the sold for "experimentation" breed farms that produce gaggles of monkeys so our makeup and medicine can be tested on them first.

I wonder if anyone would pay to walk around in a prison and see the men in their cells. The animals in zoos aren't even criminals and they have life sentences. They don't even know why they are there. Ex cons rarely go to zoos I bet. They know what it means to be "confined".

I was also wondering if this is how we teach our kids to accept being locked up? America has the most prisoners per capita in the world ya know?

Bored to freaking death.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

If your talking about safari in the wild, imo, that still intrudes on animals but it can educate etc. What I want to see is safari type settings for all threatened/rescued/captive animals. No more zoos with bars and cages.

I went to the Denver Zoo yesterday for my granddaughter's birthday. Not thrilled about zoos but I tried to learn as much as I could. The elephant exhibit area had a reconstruction of a full scale African house on display that had been ravaged by elephants. It was a well built structure and it's scary to think such a large animal blasted right through it. As humans encroach on nature problems arise. The locals would most likely just want to kill these animals, zoos can offer an alternative.

Humans need to stop breeding to the point they do. Don't think that's likely and unfortunately all the problems that comes with it are escalating.

Imo safari type settings across the board would be more preferable for the unfortunate animals. It might alleviate some of the stresses on them and might be a more acceptable solution to a very bad situation.

I would like to see zoos as we know them replaced by something more humane because as much as some of us would like we just can't wish the problems away.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

They actually already do that. A prison near someone I know's college offers open house days for anyone. Sort of like a zoo, yea.

Though I don't think zoo's and circuses are the worst thing in the world. I just think it's an idea that has not gone to its full potential.

After all, there are many species that, were it not for zoos, would be extinct.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Ha ha.............very cool

With all due respect we don't share the same kind of humor or empathy.

Let's play a mind game here: Close your eyes and imagine you are in a cage being gawked at every day, all day and you are hungry and know "feeding time" isn't for another couple hours and some being is standing in front of you with a big juicy red apple or banana (you like what he has)..............you ask him politely for it, you know you can't speak his language so you pantomime and the strange alien beings, not your species laugh at you.

Funny, haha right?

No, sad, mean, pathetic and cruel.

We're losing our humanity here folks and most of you don't even see it.

My dogs tell me exactly what they want and need and it's easy to talk to the animals, if one just listens. I hate to walk that mile and a half but come evening, our dogs tell us - get your ___ off that couch and take us for our walk!!!!!

I've had my dog bring me her water bowl when it was empty and my little guy jump on my back like a trampoline (waking me up at 3 AM) because he had to go potty.

If the case were reversed, I bet that chimp would have acted more humane than the human or had a more humane reaction then the person that replied this was "cool" and "funny".

BTW: How old are you? I ask this because that response sounds like a child's response and this (I thought) was suppose to be a site for mature people.
edit on 5-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

Great lets jump to conclusions there....well I was saying very cool in that I find it amazing that an animal is trying to communicate...even using gestures of sign language....that is extremely cool! Do want animals in cages? No, but some of these animals are being rehabilitated....i can't speak for this animal but it happens.

Im not sure why you chose to attack my age...I simply just wrote two lines quickly and was on to the next post....its A holes like you that have to blow everything out of proportion. Seriously...you read two lines from me and made an entire interpretation. And I still think it is very cool that the ANIMAL is attempting to communicate in an intelligent way.

*You bet that chimp would act more humane? Have you read anything about wild animals? They eat us....there are attacks constantly by animals because lets see...they are animals...and I agree they dont belong in cages there are times when it can be necessary...you want my opinion...instead of rehabilitating it why not just let it die. We spent millions of dollars rehabilitating two sea lions and at the releasing ceremony a year later a whale ate them both...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Close your eyes and imagine you are in a cage being gawked at every day, all day and you are hungry and know "feeding time" isn't for another couple hours and some being is standing in front of you with a big juicy red apple or banana (you like what he has)..............you ask him politely for it, you know you can't speak his language so you pantomime and the strange alien beings, not your species laugh at you.

Tough tatas for me then...will have to wait for feeding time...I am not starving...

would you sign a waiver of rights directly before taken to your newly and already furnished facility?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Wrong, I've grown up around animals my whole life and they're not just mimicking. That is what people tell themselves to feel better, to not take responsibility.

No, they can't make atomic or neutron bombs, nor drill for oil or build nuclear power plants that now are leaking and poisoning our planet - but they feel, they have emotions, needs and wants just like we do.

I'm of the mindset that if something is weaker and you're a real hero, you help them - not laugh at them.

Chimpanzees are use to roaming hundreds of miles a day with their families, not meant to be in a cage for the amusement of "humans".

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

Some "people" have no empathy or are so hard hearted they are no longer totally human.

Good response, that chimp did not ask to be captured or imprisoned.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join