It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzee 'asks' zoo visitors to free him

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Ok, not that many people will get past their chest beating to actually read this but here goes.

I've been to that zoo, the chimps have masses of room and aren't kept all cooped up. They have open air spaces to play and their own enclosed play area when the weather is inclement, as happens since the zoo is on the side of a welsh mountain. The Chimp in question is actually a very clever old lady who likes messing with the idiots that stand gawping. www.welshmountainzoo.org...

She quite a lucky missy, she gets loads of lovely fresh air and a view of the sea. Which is more than what I get.

She was born in Chester Zoo, her mother couldn't look after her and she was home reared for a time by Welsh zoo staff. She lives there in a family environment with two of her well mothered now grown children. Why would she want out, she is at her home with her family.

I can only hope that in the midst of this over emotional backlash that nobody does anything silly. She is a captive born ape, if anyone decides to do anything stupid they could put not just her and her family but the other animals and the people who live right on their doorstep at risk.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

As lovely as that sounds, I want to ask you the same question as I did to someone else earlier;

Given these conditions, would you be OK with me locking you up like that?

There is no set of conditions that can even come close to a natural habitat, it simply can't be recreated.

And; How is being born in captivity suddenly an arguement in defense of keeping animals caged? If you were born in captivity, would that suddenly make things any better? Not to me. The fact that she was born in captivity only means that she never got to experience true freedom and thus doesn't really know what she's missing, but to me, that's in no way a valid reason to lock up an animal.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just shows how intelegent these are,And these chimps should be running the top corporations,
abit like the PG tips one he would make a perfect candidate.!!

edit on 5-8-2012 by n00b2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsNotReality

Ok, not that many people will get past their chest beating to actually read this but here goes.

I've been to that zoo, the chimps have masses of room and aren't kept all cooped up. They have open air spaces to play and their own enclosed play area when the weather is inclement, as happens since the zoo is on the side of a welsh mountain. The Chimp in question is actually a very clever old lady who likes messing with the idiots that stand gawping. www.welshmountainzoo.org...

She quite a lucky missy, she gets loads of lovely fresh air and a view of the sea. Which is more than what I get.

She was born in Chester Zoo, her mother couldn't look after her and she was home reared for a time by Welsh zoo staff. She lives there in a family environment with two of her well mothered now grown children. Why would she want out, she is at her home with her family.

I can only hope that in the midst of this over emotional backlash that nobody does anything silly. She is a captive born ape, if anyone decides to do anything stupid they could put not just her and her family but the other animals and the people who live right on their doorstep at risk.

We NEED people to attempt to lock us up like that... though... otherwise we will have all these armchair experts saying how it's okay this captivity occurs and how there are pros to corporate slavery. We will keep in this motion we are in.

Newton's First law: Every object continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a straight line, unless compelled to change that state by external forces acted upon it

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

As lovely as that sounds, I want to ask you the same question as I did to someone else earlier;

There is no set of conditions that can even come close to a natural habitat, it simply can't be recreated.

And; How is being born in captivity suddenly an arguement in defense of keeping animals caged? If you were born in captivity, would that suddenly make things any better? Not to me. The fact that she was born in captivity only means that she never got to experience true freedom and thus doesn't really know what she's missing, but to me, that's in no way a valid reason to lock up an animal.

Whats the difference in her being locked up and the poor sods living in their own little poverty riddled town below existing in their boxes? I'm not arguing or defending anything, I'm just stating facts.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

How can you not see the difference in that? One can walk away whenever he feels like it, the other is literally fenced in...
Though I kind of agree, I don't think it's that simple.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Actually he wants what is on the ground but still sad to see...we take pleasure from locking up animals and watching them.

This will probably happen to humans one day, people will parade around a zoo and some young kid will say:

"Mommy, Mommy, what is that?"

His moms will reply, that son, is a person who believes it has freedom of speech"
edit on 5-8-2012 by old_god because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
the difference being nature vs artificial survival accommodations

in the long run... will these artificial survival accommodations last?

The ability to an animals survival relies on the adaptation of their habitat... the ability to adapt relies on time, trial, and error.

Thousands of years of adaptation by this species thrown out to their expense for our benefits of animal testing and cruelty for marketing sales and production is perverse, sick, and selfish on our behalf.

Disgusting.

The more we learn about these beautiful creatures the more we leech onto them as a parasite does to it's host.... sucking it dry of everything possibly used for marketing and money.
edit on 5-8-2012 by MikhailBakunin because: more silly ranting... but don't worry... I'm not apart of PETA

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Im not a fan of zoo's never understood what real purpose they serve....maybe shopuld put some people in a zoo...

God I cant wait till its planet of the apes.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm really on the fence as far as zoos go. I've read the majority of animals aren't from the wild but from breeding programs/rescues.

I have a problem especially with large animals they don't have room to run/roam. This makes me sad but what do you suggest we do with neglected/abused ex-circus performers/pets? Letting them go isn't an option.

It seems the choice is to euthanize them or place them in zoos? So while zoos aren't ideal we need to address how these animals got in that situation in the first place. Non-domesticated animals for use as entertainment/pets should be prohibited.

Not sure how I feel about breeding programs. It's often the only way to save some species from extinction. On the surface this sounds good but only a well stocked zoo can draw in enough patrons to financially support the whole operation. We need to keep a very close eye on how breeding programs are used.

People want monkey babies on their lap and wolf hybrids at their heel. This is so wrong but it's allowed to continue. Many can't successfully provide for these animals and don't know what to do with them. Zoo's are the only option or places like Project Wolf here in Colorado.

Imo owners should be caged in zoos right next to their rescued pet. Post a card describing the habits of such owners and set them up in a viewable habitat similar to their own living room at home.

I would prefer large open drive through sanctuaries where the patrons are caged in protective vehicles for viewing.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

We live in a zoo and no one really seems to care, but screw us right lets worry about the chimp. AH people are too blind about their situation in life.

I really don't understand why you slam on the people who made the video. what were they supposed to do? let it out?? first of all how?? and second of all they would go to jail if they tried... the neanderthal is you sir if you can't figure that out.

edit on 5-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan

We live in a zoo and no one really seems to care, but screw us right lets worry about the chimp. AH people are too blind about their situation in life.

I really don't understand why you slam on the people who made the video. what were they supposed to do? let it out?? first of all how?? and second of all they would go to jail if they tried... the neanderthal is you sir if you can't figure that out.

edit on 5-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

I agree to an extent... I think we MUST disobey the rules to our zoo... and be neanderthals, though. The civil one is the one who agrees to his existence in this zoo.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigern
Poor fella.

I use to love zoos but these days I really think we should just do away with them, Sea world and all that stuff too. Problem is for the most part all the animals in the zoos could never make it in the wild (I assume?) so we would have to let the ones in captivity now live out their lives behind bars and not reproduce. It would be sad really watching the numbers dwindle over the years but in the long run it would be for the best.
edit on 4-8-2012 by bigern because: grammar

We are getting here, slowly....it's illegal to hold dolphin's in captivity in the UK now, has been for a number of years.
edit on 5-8-2012 by DARREN1976 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikhailBakunin

We NEED people to attempt to lock us up like that... though... otherwise we will have all these armchair experts saying how it's okay this captivity occurs and how there are pros to corporate slavery. We will keep in this motion we are in.

Newton's First law: Every object continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a straight line, unless compelled to change that state by external forces acted upon it

We are locked up, it's the fantasy that we live in a democracy and we are free!When all we are is sheep.....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

I think the word your looking for is safari if I'm not mistaken.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

That pissed me off.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I guess I'm the odd ball. If living the horrible and brutal existence of having his meals made and served 3 times daily with a whole team to descend if he so much as gets a little cut from jumping around, I'm thinking he can take one for the team.

Seriously, life isn't THAT bad and nothing is out to eat him there. In exchange, letting people get to know more about them directly helps save the ones in the wild. Aren't most of these species at least 'threatened', in the wild? Education must help...and that's his way of paying his keep.

How about we throw you in cage too. After all, you'll get 3 mails a day, and health care. You can spend your days staring at people laughing at you, and mimicking you.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I ummed and ahhhhd about whether to look this thread because thought it would upset me….

I’m glad I did though, of course the chimp is pointing to the food! The windows seem to just be viewing panels, they don’t look like they actually open, I cant see any locks anyway…

Having said that, it also makes me sad that she's locked up in that place anyway and has interacted with humans so much as to have learnt the gestures the way she has…. It's so sad.... I volunteered at a local ape/monkey sanctuary every weekend for about a year...It wasn’t a zoo, there were no breeding programs… All the animals had been rescued from irresponsible owners and some from zoos that were closing… None of them would have survived in the wild, it just wasn't an option...

The chimps in particular were smarter than some people I know
They totally interacted with us and took full advantage of our love for them. So no, I don’t believe this chimp is starving either, she's just trying to get a shot at the food.... I remember one male chimp used to masturbate whenever me and another female colleague were up very close to him

Although they were happy, loved and really well looked after, every week it broke my heart seeing these beautiful animals locked up - yeah they were treated like royalty, had lots of healthy food, great play areas and comfy sleeping quarters…. But they were still imprisoned and spending an entire lifetime in the wrong place. Completely and utterly heartbreaking

edit on 5-8-2012 by paradisepurple because: sp.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Excellent post...and such a shame that all of the allegedly intelligent people on here don't seem to have bothered to read it or comprehend it in any way.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This reminded me of that South Park episode where some aliens give humanity a test of honesty, the humans fail miserably and the entire planet Earth ends up quarantined. Maybe we are all living inside a giant zoo too. Because we're not ready to be released into the "galactic environment" so to speak. I feel like that chimp sometimes, just gazing out to the stars, hoping our "keepers" free us some day.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Of course I don't think anyone can really say with complete certainty whether this chimp was signalling for them to break him out or if he was actually signally something else... but it brings up some interesting questions about smart animals like this. Would it be morally wrong to keep these animals in zoos if they were to request their release? It seems to me that any such request would need to be recognized and provided. Beyond human rights there should be something called "sentient life rights". So many animals are self-aware and sentient imo; dolphins, elephants, many species of apes, dogs and cats, etc. All of them can recognize their own reflection in a mirror and they posses clear signs of higher brain function and advanced problem solving skills. I think it's really time we started to evolve our understanding of these animals and stopped treating them as mere amusement park attractions.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join