Chimpanzee 'asks' zoo visitors to free him

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I find it amazing how rude you are to everyone in this thread...its good to know you give more kindness to animals than people....

edit on 5-8-2012 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Gorman91

Wrong, I've grown up around animals my whole life and they're not just mimicking. That is what people tell themselves to feel better, to not take responsibility.

No, they can't make atomic or neutron bombs, nor drill for oil or build nuclear power plants that now are leaking and poisoning our planet - but they feel, they have emotions, needs and wants just like we do.

I'm of the mindset that if something is weaker and you're a real hero, you help them - not laugh at them.

Chimpanzees are use to roaming hundreds of miles a day with their families, not meant to be in a cage for the amusement of "humans".
if our species had this mindset would we be where we are today? typing about how disgusting we are on ATS to eachother?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

GET ON TOPIC

We're not discussing each other in this thread.

It's the video and the chimp.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Well mimicking has a different definition to me then. Because mimicking is a learning device to me. You only mimic something you want to learn, after all.

Chimp youth have been shown not to comprehend what a finger pointing is. Therefore it has to be logical that it learned to point at things from mimicking humans. It does not have this intelligence embedded in itself. The same can be said for sign language and a few other things.

That's really the sort of blurry line between them and us. You can teach a chimp or an elephant or anything to paint. But it will only paint the same thing you taught it. A human will paint something new. Because we understand art better.

Just one example.

As for what they should be doing, yes they ought to be roaming miles and being with family. But shouldn't we also? That's what we evolved to do. Spear hunt and run, returning to our families at night and enjoying our nights together. We don't do that anymore, at least not all of us.

So really it's a choice. Adapt or go out like a light. Would be really sad to loose these creatures, so a zoo is really the only option short of death.

Perhaps one day long from now, either on this world or another, they will return to what they once did. But for now that's simply not an option. And the only other one is death. It sucks, but that's the state of the world.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm sure Stephen Pinker would find this amusing....

Of course animals don't enjoy their captivity. But it is ENTIRELY misleading to think that a chimpanzee communicates via sign language. What is actually happening is the INTERPOLATION of the trainer.

Whenever a deaf person analyzes the supposed 'sign language' of chimpanzees, they're completely dumfounded at how their trainers imagine that they're saying anything intelligible. They're not. There's just over-zealous trainers who WANT the chimpanzees to have the ability to communicate, both to validate their obnoxious presumptions that humans are really no different from apes (or any other animals), and that humans can train monkeys in sign language.

What actually is being done, as Pinker shows in his 'the language instinct' is that the monkey is being taught just as any dog trainer trains his dog: they are being habituated into performing an action. The monkey has innate instincts like "i like bananas' and so when he realizes that doing what the trainer desires gets him bananas, he does the trick the trainer wants. In the trainers mind, this indicates a conscious awareness of language and the ability to communicate; in actual fact, the monkey has no knowledge or awareness of the significance of the action besides the fact that it elicits the banana that the monkey so desires.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

that chimp did not ask to be captured or imprisoned.

You're sort of valuing its life over ours. How about this. Did any human ever ask to be captured or imprisoned? Not only in jail. but in cities too. In suits and offices. I doubt it.

You're human, even if you don't feel for others.

To quote The Sisko:

edit on 5-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I dedicate this video to the above Chimpanzee:

See the animal in his cage that you built Are you sure what side you're on? Better not look him too closely in the eye Are you sure what side of the glass you are on? See the safety of the life you have built Everything where it belongs Feel the hollowness inside of your heart And it's all Right where it belongs

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern
Poor fella.

I use to love zoos but these days I really think we should just do away with them, Sea world and all that stuff too. Problem is for the most part all the animals in the zoos could never make it in the wild (I assume?) so we would have to let the ones in captivity now live out their lives behind bars and not reproduce. It would be sad really watching the numbers dwindle over the years but in the long run it would be for the best.
edit on 4-8-2012 by bigern because: grammar

I agree it is kind of sad to stare at a gorilla who stares back at you like, "Dude, stop staring at us. I can't talk so I can't argue my release." Kind of kidding, but, zoos do help maintain the populations of near-extinct species who otherwise would be illegally hunted, killed, and sold.

What IS really sad are those small-town zoos. Where big bears, timberwolves, etc., are held in a cage the size of an average person's bathroom. That is what needs to be fixed.
edit on 5-8-2012 by capone1 because: typo

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Perhaps the little fellow is asking the spectators to raise the window so he might get the morsel?

Aren't these wonderful SENTIENT creatures amazing? If you do not "view" this as sentient and intelligent, I do not know what is. In either event, this fellow is smart and when faced with a challenge, he asks for help. I suppose we'd have to "ask" him to see whether he is happy there or not. That would be an amazing event.

If he can communicate to this degree, I'm sure he could understand the question of "Are you happy here?"

I dare say I'd love it if someone begged the question and asked. It's what we are supposed to do after-all, isn't it? Just think all this time, the animals are just waiting for that "WOW SIGNAL," to bridge the gap between us all. Then a wonderful world will open-up. This is part of humanity's accension process, after-all. We must understand and "feel" what is being said, NOW because if we keep polluting and destroying, the chance will be over and no one will be there to receive the signal when we truly "get-it."

And that would be a real SHAME!

Love and Light, Namaste, Many Blessings...Forever!

Trek
edit on 5-8-2012 by trekwebmaster because: typo correction

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

They actually already do that. A prison near someone I know's college offers open house days for anyone. Sort of like a zoo, yea.

Crazy. But would you go?

Though I don't think zoo's and circuses are the worst thing in the world. I just think it's an idea that has not gone to its full potential.

Maybe wildlife sanctuaries over purely for profit zoos or circuses.

After all, there are many species that, were it not for zoos, would be extinct.

I might differ with that. The amount of money that zoos pay for animals guarantees the continued capture of wild animals, thus contributing to their extinction. Captive breeding programs exist to sell animals for money, not return animals to the wild. We hear about the rare program that attempts this but most are expensive failures. The product of wild release become the next victims of deforestation and bush meat grocery shopping lists.

Nearly extinct species are not kept going by zoos, the profit margin is the determining factor to captive breeding programs.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

Abso freaking lutely. You give me safety from predators, three meals a day, and shelter from the environment...Sign my ass up right freaking now...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Animal sanctuaries are always better, assuming you can keep out hunters. idk. It worked in America pretty decently thanks to Teddy Roosevelt, but not so much elsewhere.

As it goes, it's better they live in some place or way than go extinct. But living isn't always better than death.

For me, it's simply some way to keep them alive until a day when there will be a wilderness again.

As for if I'd go to those prison zoos, well depends on the architecture. I can't see myself going to one more than once.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Most excellent response. We, on the basis of emotion, assign non-existent abilities to animals. Yet the critics want to claim we are unfeeling.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

What i find sad and disturbing is that we can take a magnificent and sentient lifeform and turn it into a freak show for our own pleasure and entertainment.

Peace

look you are being soft and really misguided with your soppy nonsense.

MAN is the master of the planet and we can do what we like.

who is going to stop us?

tell me.

no one can stop us. no one.

we can do what we like.

NO ONE stop us.

we have the power.

i don't understand why people like you keep defending savage beasts who would kill and eat you instantly given the chance.many humans have been killed by monkeys.

they are just dumb machines.

we only need animals for food.

the rest is a lot of liberal rubbish.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Here's your evilllllllllllllllllllll zoo. Make of it what you will....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
As tragic as it may seem, think about the implications...
Perhaps animals are getting smarter, what if one day a cow somehow let us know it was afraid and didn't want to be slaughtered? I'm glad I'm vegetarian! I've said it before I'll say it again, we will never assend to any higher level with our perverse relationship we have with animals. We have to learn to respect all of this earth's creatures.
End of lecture.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A sad reminder of the reality we live in!

I'd have been tempted to put my foot through the window and set the poor thing free.

at first sight, it's amazing how this animal can communicate in such a way and all these people can do is laugh! so the sad truth about this is that even though we can understand what they want, they're still locked up like prisoners. who wouldn't want out!? obviously, we can't fall into the trap of watching a video, seeing a few actions and then making judgement. These people could have got up, walked away and been as sympathetic as we are but the fact is they've shown themselves in a bad light!

this is life now! we are no different to this little chimp in the cage! we scrimp and scrape to get by and the suits, the powers!! just look down and laugh at us paupers!

until we rise....

this is the sad world we live!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by ThisIsNotReality

So I can come and kidnap you, if only I give you three meals a day and keep you healthy?? Great, I'm on my way right now!

Yes, you can. When can I expect you arrival? I am dead serious.

Oh you are so funny! In need of attention, or why are you deliberately not getting the sarcasm?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Awh, poor chimp.

Why do we have to lock up our cousins for entertainment?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I don't mean to be rude...
But I don't believe the reason most people are insinuating that zoos are "evil" because of how the pedestrians act while in them, or how the scenery looks.

Just food for thought.

new topics
top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join