It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China garrison raises tension in disputed sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The Philippines and Vietnam have described as unacceptable and a violation of international law China's establishment last month of Sansha city on a remote island, intended to administer hundreds of thousands of square miles of water where it wants to strengthen its control over disputed, and potentially oil-rich, islands.(/

www.foxnews.com...[/url]

You have Chinas establishment of Sansha City on island that are claimed by others, this could get very bad in the future.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Ancient Champion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Here ya go linky work

WASHINGTON – The United States is criticizing China's new military garrison in the contested South China Sea as risking an escalation in tensions. The State Department issued a statement Friday voicing concern over the situation in the resource-rich sea and strong support for diplomatic efforts by Southeast Asian nations to negotiate with China. The Philippines and Vietnam have described as unacceptable and a violation of international law China's establishment last month of Sansha city on a remote island, intended to administer hundreds of thousands of square miles of water where it wants to strengthen its control over disputed, and potentially oil-rich, islands. The U.S. said that move, and the new garrison, "run counter to collaborative diplomatic efforts to resolve differences and risk further escalating tensions in the region Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 3-8-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Time to get the popcorn out I think.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
In the late 70's the Chinese and Vietnamese had a border dispute, that ended up in a fairly good sized armed conflict. And the NVA kicked the Chinese Army right in the a s s and right back across the border. I say let China mess with Vietnam....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I live in Guangzhou (the arm-pit of China) it's been like this since I moved here (2006) and don't forget the disputes with Japan and Russia which is really heating up.
Plus you got America arming Taiwan and now America is starting to arm Vietnam because of the tension here.
Every Chinese I talk to about this issue thinks their gov should be more assertive and not let other countries push them around (old blood because of sino wars, ww2, ect). Even I try and drum up a reasonable argument looking at it from the other side, most of them are narrow minded and want the Chinese gov to show 'face' (not be looked down upon) (Chinese culture to be like this).

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
In the late 70's the Chinese and Vietnamese had a border dispute, that ended up in a fairly good sized armed conflict. And the NVA kicked the Chinese Army right in the a s s and right back across the border. I say let China mess with Vietnam....

The USA didn't fair too well either but that's a whole other kettle of fish. God knows how a modern conflict between China and Vietnam would pan out.

It'd be ugly that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Just saw this on the news today, seems more attention by the MSM is being put on the South China issue.

THE UNITED STATES has warned China to "back off'' as tensions rise to flashpoint in the South China Sea. In a statement, the US State Department cautioned China about its addition of a military garrison and civilian officials near the contested Scarborough Reef and its use of barriers to deny access to foreign ships. These moves "run counter to collaborative diplomatic efforts to resolve differences and risk further escalating tensions in the region", said the statement, issued early on Friday morning and attributed to Patrick Ventrell, the acting deputy spokesman. Six countries have complex competing claims to the region's water and islands, which are rich in fish, oil and gas and other resources.

US warns China over moves to dominate South China Sea

top topics

join