It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Could be from Haiti or Jamaica.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Some people from India are blacker than most of my black friends.

I know an Indian that's almost purple.

So you think Gabby is a descendant of India???

I guess it's all the more reason to call her African American...since some Indian people are almost purple :shk:

For people to act offended because they said "African American" and have doubts that she is realy a descendant from Africa...is just an excuse.

It's just an outlet for their anger...it's a way for them to be mad about her winning and not having to say it's because she is black.

Racims is still alive...racists just have to get more creative. Only a racist would have a problem with anyone celebrating a first for any race.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Are you kidding me? Do you think she is just really really tan???

Tell me...where else do black skinned people originate from???

OOOhhhhhhh, so you want to go to the argument that her race originated in Africa..... the "cradle of life" where we ALL originated from. In that case, she wasn't really the first then was she?

Her family may have been out of Africa for centuries or even millenia. Maybe they originated in Cuba, or South America, or Jamaica, or Egypt. Maybe they are Aztec.

I have a friend born and raised in Columbia, but he identifies himself as "native American," because he doesn't consider himself Hispanic, even though he speaks spanish, but he considers himself Incan or Mayan or something, so native american fits better even though that wasn't its intention on the Census.

I have another friend that is much blacker than Gabby, but he considers himself 100% Cuban. Not "African-Cuban" even though is family can trace their roots to slave ships from Africa to Cuba, but the other side of his family can trace their roots to native Cubans, and he identifies himself that way, even though his skin is extremely dark.

Now you are finally getting to the core of my argument, I hope you can finally see the ridiculousness of the term "African-American" to describe all dark-skinned people. I could line up 5 very black people that are close friends of mine, and NONE of them would identify themselves as African-American, and they would be offended if you made that assumption about them.
edit on 3-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

And where did the black people from Haiti and Jamaica come from???

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by TKDRL

And where did the black people from Haiti and Jamaica come from???

So, when a Haitian athlete wins, do they identify themselves as "African-Haitian?"

ETA:
I'll give one more example and then give up on this argument. I work with a guy from Botswana. He has a PhD, and has attained a lot of rank in his profession. He is an expert, and a public speaker, and a very intelligent man. Nothing offends him more than being called "African-American." He is not an American, he is just African.

The terms "African-American" and "black" are not interchangeable. They are not equivalent. The only time the term "African-American" is appropriate is when a person holds dual citizenship, or has recently immigrated from Africa and attained US citizenship. It is not a blanket term for black people, and it doesn't apply to Gabby.
edit on 3-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have another friend that is much blacker than Gabby, but he considers himself 100% Cuban. Not "African-Cuban" even though is family can trace their roots to slave ships from Africa, but the other side of his family can trace their roots to native Cubans, and he identifies himself that way, even though his skin is extremely dark.

Cuban isn't a race.

When asked about his race...what does he fill out??? Cuban???

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Some people from India are blacker than most of my black friends.

I know an Indian that's almost purple.

So you think Gabby is a descendant of India???

I guess it's all the more reason to call her African American...since some Indian people are almost purple :shk:

For people to act offended because they said "African American" and have doubts that she is realy a descendant from Africa...is just an excuse.

It's just an outlet for their anger...it's a way for them to be mad about her winning and not having to say it's because she is black.

Racims is still alive...racists just have to get more creative. Only a racist would have a problem with anyone celebrating a first for any race.

Dude. You are missing the point.

She's an American. First and foremost.

She's an American just like the rest of her team.

The MSM is making it a point to single her out.

To me, that's racist.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

So, when a Haitian athlete wins, do they identify themselves as "African-Haitian?"

If that is the custom in Haiti to do so...if that is what they call themselves...then I would expect so.

I've never seen someone so upset over a word...that is why I believe it isn't about the word at all...there is something else driving your anger...what could that be?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I have another friend that is much blacker than Gabby, but he considers himself 100% Cuban. Not "African-Cuban" even though is family can trace their roots to slave ships from Africa, but the other side of his family can trace their roots to native Cubans, and he identifies himself that way, even though his skin is extremely dark.

Cuban isn't a race.

African is not a race either.

If you want to go there.

Why don't we call her a "Negroid American"?

Doesn't sound good does it?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Cuban isn't a race.

African-American isn't a race either. It is a hyphenated name of 3 separate continents, LOL! This is precisely why I don't have any idea what an "African-American" is supposed to mean anyway!

He fills out "Hispanic" if he is forced to, but it doesn't describe him adequately, and he doesn't appreciate it. I suppose he could choose "native American" like my other friend does, and it would be just as appropriate.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Dude. You are missing the point.

She's an American. First and foremost.

She's an American just like the rest of her team.

The MSM is making it a point to single her out.

To me, that's racist.

Costas made a footnote of the fact that she is the first african american to win...they didn't make the entire broadcast out of it. Did they say she isn't an American first and foremost? Did she not wave the flag and hear the national anthem play? Did the medal count not go into the USA column?

OH...but Costas...as the broadcast was ending...made a footnote that she is the first African American to win a gold in the women's individual all around...and all of you lose your mind over it.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining...anyone upset over Costas stating a fact has other motives for being upset.

And you obviously don't know what "racist" means...which race was Costas being racist towards...which race does he hate???

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I've never seen someone so upset over a word...that is why I believe it isn't about the word at all...there is something else driving your anger...what could that be?

OK, you're right.

What drives my anger is politically correct nonsense, baseless assumptions, and marginalization of someone's hard-earned victory.

They assume she wants to be identified by the word "African," just in case someone couldn't already see she was black. They assume that term is less offensive than the term "black" when to most people I know it is exactly the opposite, and they want to make her victory about her race instead of just celebrating the fact that she is the best of the best of all races and nationalities on this particular day.

Hey, if Gabby had said it, then I would have no problem, but Costas and NBC said it, not Gabby.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

He fills out "Hispanic" if he is forced to, but it doesn't describe him adequately, and he doesn't appreciate it. I suppose he could choose "native American" like my other friend does, and it would be just as appropriate.

"Hispanic" isn't a race..it's an ethnicity.

His choices for "Race" are White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

You seem to be arguing from ignorance because you don't even know the facts.

And yes..."African American" is an official race option in the United States. Your "friend" would select "Black or African American" as his race and also select "Hispanic" as his ethnicity.
edit on 3-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Hey, if Gabby had said it, then I would have no problem, but Costas and NBC said it, not Gabby.

Costas did use the politically correct word.

That is the custom...that is what he is supposed to do...just because you want to call everyone Black...doesn't mean it is the accepted thing to do.

It doesn't even seem like you know why you are angry...you are just angry...I think you might be lying to yourself about the source of your anger.

You wanted Costas to say "black"...because for some reason that would satisfy you and not "offend" you...well guess what...if he had said "black"...he would have offended someone else. He used the agreed upon terminology...either way he was going to offend someone...you need to get over your anger about "words".

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

"Hispanic" isn't a race..it's an ethnicity.

His choices for "Race" are White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

You seem to be arguing from ignorance because you don't even know the facts.

And yes..."African American" is an official race option in the United States. Your "friend" would select "Black or African American" as his race and also select "Hispanic" as his ethnicity.

Actually, it is you that is arguing from ignorance, and the Census and data collecting bureaus that design ignorant questionairres. Let me explain....

Evaluating Census 2000 and its results, Mr. Kincannon reported that an increasing number of
people chose to identify as “some other race,” which is now the third largest race group in the
United States according to census results. This presents a challenge because many federal
programs do not include such a category in their data collection. He explained that the Census Bureau had intended to drop the “some other race” category for the 2010 Census, but
will now include it in response to congressional mandate. In 2000, of those who identified
themselves solely as “some other race,” 97 percent were Hispanic or Latino. In fact, 42
percent of Hispanics that identified their race selected “some other race.” Although 46
percent indicated they were white, many Hispanics did not answer the race question. The
census did not capture the detailed Hispanic origin groups, such as Mexican, Puerto Rican or
Cuban.

4) including a separate tribal enrollment question for American Indians and Alaska Natives;
and 5) including a modified ancestry question that would elicit specific race and Hispanic
origin groups as well as other ancestries such as German, French, or Scotch-Irish.

This question would retain the current
five groups: American Indian or Alaskan Native; Asian; Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander;
black/African American; and white, and would add Hispanic as a co-equal race/ethnic group.
This would encompass the primary groups targeted for anti-discrimination polices, and
would eliminate the implication that our nation consists of only two ethnic groups, as is
suggested by the current census format asking whether the respondent is Hispanic or Non-
Hispanic

Full Report

For the record, their term is "black/African-American," because they make the distinction that both things exist independently, they are not equivalent, and they also make the distinction that "Hispanic" should be a race class, and that many people prefer to identify by their country of origin like "scotch/irish" or "german."

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The MSM spouts this separatism stuff, but they only continue to do so because it works. That's why we end up with threads like this on ats, with 300 replies all crying back and forth over whos right. Stop playing into to their BS and when it no longer works they will quit trying. Think for yourselves if they say african, asian, latin american just hear the american part. we are all on the same team, regardless of what others might try to tell you.

Congrats to our American gymnastics, all around event, gold medalist! You represent a whole country not just a select group, and we are all proud of you.-aren't we?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

All that shows is that people are themselves ignorant.

Like your friend...he seems to be ashamed of his ancestry...so he wants to call himself something else.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

All that shows is that people are themselves ignorant.

Like your friend...he seems to be ashamed of his ancestry...so he wants to call himself something else.

He isn't ashamed of his ancestry...., like you mentioned earlier, we are all African in our origins, so that just isn't descriptive enough. What about the native cuban ancestry? What about the last few generations that have spent their lives creating an existence in the existing society?

In fact, why don't we draw a distinction between people kidnapped and transported from Africa to other land masses, compared to the ones that immigrated naturally and voluntarily? Shouldn't there be some distinction for that? Are we to assume all black people in the US are here against their will, or can we admit some actually came here on purpose like my friend from Botswana?

These things you keep bringing up are the very reasons that it is offensive to just patently accept the PC term "African-American." Who decided that was the correct term? Who are these people that you claim agreed to this terminology? It wasn't any of the black people I know, not the ones in college, not the ones in government, not the ones teaching the courses and administering the laws, so I wonder who it was that decided that was the PC term?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I totally agree.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Who decided that was the correct term?

Society.

You seemed to have ignored the fact that if he said "Black" like YOU wanted him to...others would have been offended.

Like it or not...it IS the politically correct term...you even admitted that. It is the exact terminology that Costas should have used.

I don't believe this is the core of your anger anyway...but you need something to justify your fake outrage.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join