It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
ATS makes me sick sometimes. If there is a black crime thread there is little outrage about mentioning the perpetrator was black. If its something positive like this, nearly everyone cries about the race being brought up.

It happens.

Muslim, Christian, Jew, Liberal, conservative, Republican, Palin, Democrat, New agers, Did I mention Palin? fat, Atheist, birther, truther

There is good in all of us, the good always out weighs the bad, but you would never know it.

If I posted a positive Christian Topic, or one on mysticism, someone would inevitably call me out as a loser that believes in a sky fairy,

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Your friend would be of African Hispanic decent. Hispanic isn't a race.

In the United States, a Black Hispanic[2] or Afro American Hispanic[2] (Spanish: Afrohispano, literally, "Afro Hispanic") is an American citizen or resident who is officially classified by the United States Census Bureau, Office of Management and Budget and other U.S. government agencies as a Black American of Hispanic descent. African American/Black American, itself an official U.S. racial category legally refers to people residing in the United States who have "origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa."[3]

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You see we all at times feel like a victim, the trick is to break free of the victim mentality.

And TPTB it seems uses this victim mentality to control us.

I will try to think of something else later,

edit on 013131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

You never hear the term "African-Canadian" now, do you?

OH MY gosh, you don't or any other country for that matter.

Or is there?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

No, other white countries aren't as racist as the USA and do not make big deals out of racial organizations of minorities

Black Canadians and other Canadians often draw a distinction between those of Afro-Caribbean ancestry and those of other African roots. The term African Canadian is sometimes used by Black Canadians who trace their heritage to the first slaves brought by British and French colonists to the mainland of North America,[3] but many Blacks of Caribbean origin in Canada reject the term African Canadian as an elision of the uniquely Caribbean aspects of their heritage,5] and instead identify as Caribbean Canadian.[5] Unlike in the United States where African American is the most widely accepted term, due to these tensions and controversies between the African and Caribbean communities the term "Black Canadian" is still accepted in the Canadian context.[6] The vast majority of Black-targeted cultural and social institutions in Canada serve both the Caribbean Canadian and African Canadian communities equally.

en.wikipedia.org...

National African Canadian Association

The National African Canadian Association (NACA) is a non-profit organization that exists to foster, empower and increase education, economic development and tolerance for the preservation and promotion of Black, African and Caribbean Culture, Customs, Values, History, Arts, Heritage and way of life within Canada.

Canadian Association of Black Lawyers

CABL, formed in March 1996, is a national network of law professionals and individuals committed to reinvesting in the community.

Vaughan African Canadian Association

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen
When I see statements like those, I think to my self "wow, because they are black they were not supposed to achieve or accomplish such feats or succeed? ...and that is why it makes it special, because Blacks are not supposed to succeed?"

Basically what the MSM seems to be saying is "look everyone, an African American actually made it"

It's no surprise being MSM and all.

Certain races and ethnicities have different qualities and are more likely to succeed in some sports than others. How is that racist? That's not racist, that's realism.

This is precisely my point. Racists are denied their right to be racist, and so try to deny the right of reasonable people to reference race - as racists cannot see the difference between racism and the acknowledgement of racial differences, and perceive a double standard.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by getreadyalready

In this Olympics story, it wasn't necessary at all.

Yes it was...because it was a milestone.

And now you are backtracking...now you don't think the story is necessary at all

It's not backtracking. My first post in this thread said I was confused about the whole statement of Costas It didn't make any sense why he would bring that up.

Within the US, the president was a milestone, the first state championship might have been a milestone, the US has had its share of racial problems, and there are milestones and politically correct terms we use within the US specific to things within the US.

The Olympics is a world-wide event. The US problems dont' apply to the whole world. There was no need to bring this up on that stage. In my opinion this was not an appropriate statement or topic to be brought up in the context of the Olympics where every nation and every race, nationality, sex, and creed are reprsented. She is just an American at this event, not an "African-American" and not a "black-American," and not a black athlete in general. She is an American that won the gold medal. The NBC coverage was out of line and embarrassing.
edit on 3-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I don't know what to say RS, I don't like getting to involved in these topics because it is a lose, lose situation.

MY little bubble is full of a variety of nationalities and races, race was never an issue, I thought we had all moved past this, most anyway.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I'll simply parrot what an ESPN sports guy said today (he is black by the way). He said that even though he didn't want to make it into a race thing, he still looked at it a lot like he looked at the success of Tiger Woods. As a black or African American, he felt like Tiger made it possible to be a black golfer. This Olympian has done the same thing for young black or African American girls in the US.

Other people who are minorities may not feel the same, but you simply cannot understand the perspective of minorities who do feel this way if you are not in that position.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Whoa, holy cow, lots of replies and sorry to the mods wasn't sure where I should've posted this so thanks guys for moving this to the appropriate forum. Also, give me a minute to those who replied to me it's going to take me a minute to catch up and read through all the pages that have been posted since I was asleep

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Let me add, and this is not related to this topic, that I do believe the political correct police are making matters worse, and this is creating a climate of resentment.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

I'll simply parrot what an ESPN sports guy said today (he is black by the way). He said that even though he didn't want to make it into a race thing, he still looked at it a lot like he looked at the success of Tiger Woods. As a black or African American, he felt like Tiger made it possible to be a black golfer. This Olympian has done the same thing for young black or African American girls in the US.

Other people who are minorities may not feel the same, but you simply cannot understand the perspective of minorities who do feel this way if you are not in that position.

I see what the ESPN guy is saying, however by bringing up the person's race then he has made it a race thing. And by the MSM referring to this Olympian as an African American, and neglecting to refer to any other races by their race such as the Caucasian American Michael Phelps then they have totally brought out the race card and all African Americans should feel discriminated against that they should be referred to in such a manner that no other race is being referred to.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Tykonos

For pity's sake, millions of Americans call themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans - it's something that is exclusive to the USA.
All my grandparents were Irish, I was born in England and consider myself English first and British a close second, (yes I know, most Americans etc don't get that but that's not the topic under discussion) - if I were to call myself Irish English I would quite rightly be ridiculed by both English and Irish.

I think Morrissey sings a few songs glorifying his Irish heritage but as a British Nationalist. In the states there is an Identity crisis of not knowing what you're apart of. So being most Americans (especially Caucasian'esque) is why people say "I'm Italian, I'm Irish.. etc" it's just a way to embrace something even though they have no clue what it is like to live from that country or hadn't had anyone in their families live in those countries for decades or centuries. Yet I agree.. In America you should just say "I'm an American" but then you get the PC Patrol who ask "funny you don't look Native American to me". but Native Americans didn't call themselves that. Since America is a European concept. Tribal people didn't have borders, just respected territories.

I find it comical it looks as if she's biting on it like an old timer Gold Miner just to make sure it's real. I'd probably do the same thing. Which, brings up kind of an Off Topic but somewhat related to the Olympics. They said the IRS wants olympians to pay taxes on those medals because they're precious metals (at least the Gold and Silver.. not sure about the bronze).. I'm, guessing they're not thin layered plated but nearly solid gold. So her biting on the Gold Medallion is funny because she might have to pay taxes on it. not that paying taxes is funny but just because of the photo.

Anyways back on topic.. each person is different. In short you can't say what is write. Someone like Al Sharpton might lay into the post starter and Someone like Rev Manning might agree it's almost as racist to (in the proverbial sense) pat her on the head like she wasn't capable of winning and it was just by luck yet knowing she is and so don't see color. In a way the media is being racists by trying to hard to not be.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Again, I don't think you can fully understand why her race was important unless you are a minority yourself. Some minorities may not agree that it was important, but perspective is everything.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

The point is why make a point about her race at all? Doesn't matter if it's a good or bad point as pointing out her race seperates her from other races and really we are the same race, the human one.

Obama is black? I thought he was mixed race?

The op was right to make a deal out of it and those people who gave you all those stars for your comment are blind.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

We are all human. Get over your race already. And for crying out loud...leave the race card out of the Olympics!

I'm awfully happy to hear I'm not to only one that is completely fed up with every thing that can be noted being made an 'event' based 100% on racial, ethnic or religious identity. Society tells everyone that racism is wrong but seems to be based around it as a very core principle. Racism here certainly isn't hateful or mean spirited, but it doesn't have to be and this leads to what is, IMO.

Shame on them indeed!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stew4media

Rev Manning might agree it's almost as racist to (in the proverbial sense) pat her on the head like she wasn't capable of winning and it was just by luck yet knowing she is and so don't see color

True, there are various ways to look at it, like the black carpenter that was offended by being called African American, it did upset my husband, when he came home he was like, what am I supposed to say,

I don't know.

See, lose lose situation, that's how my husband felt.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
haha skin colour, we're all the same inside, get over it. I say well done, and good luck to all nations in the events that are left.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Again, I don't think you can fully understand why her race was important unless you are a minority yourself. Some minorities may not agree that it was important, but perspective is everything.

I get what you're saying, however you are right...perspective is everything. Let me re-quote what Costas said:

"...also safe to say that there are some young African American girls out there who, tonight are saying to themselves, 'Hey, I'd like to try that too.' "

So by making sure to specifically address only young African American girls, he/the MSM has successfully ostracized every other young girl who is NOT African American, which is in my opinion really, really wrong. The world should in my opinion especially in the Olympic spirit quit dividing people by their race, and focus on their athletic accomplishments instead.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
We are all human. Get over your race already. And for crying out loud...leave the race card out of the Olympics!

I really do get what you're saying, but I have to point out the irony of the quoted statement. The Olympics is entirely about segregation, my country's athletes are better than yours, we're the master nation because athlete XYZ won a gold medal while standing beneath our dictatorship's flag, etc. In many ways, the Olympic games are far more a geopolitical and nationalism pissing contest than they are tests of athletic prowess. I'm not saying that to belittle the (clean) athletes in any way whatsoever... many of these medalists are among the finest non-chemically enhanced physical specimens ever seen. But at its core it is less about celebrating athletic excellence and achievement and more about political ideologies and ethos thumping their chests whenever a communist nation takes a gold over a democratic nation or vice-versa.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join