MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 32
64
<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher
 

I'm not embarrassed.

Not in the least.

Prove it.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Ok guys, wow can we tame down the immature personal attacks on each other?

NOW! On with the show!

According to CBS sports:


Katie Ledecky reacts to the scoreboard showing her gold medal-winning time at Friday's 800m final. (US Presswire) Americans went three-for-three in first Friday medal events. The most surprising of the results was the third one, the 800-meter freestyle final.American swim phenom Katie Ledecky become the youngest swimmer ever to win a gold medal, as her 8:14.63 finish clearly gave her first place.


m.cbssports.com...

Yet another example of how the MSM does NOT identify this athletes race, because she is not "black" or "African American". Katie Ledecky is THE YOUNGEST SWIMMER EVER TO WIN A GOLD MEDAL! But do they say she is the:

"Youngest Caucasian American swimmer ever to win a gold medal"?

No. They do not. They only identify her as:

"American swim phenom"

Hypocrisy by the media again by not celebrating a white person's ethnic background, yet it is completely celebrated when it's a "black" or "African American" athlete.

Please explain....
edit on 5-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: quotes



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


I can not help you.

You have the mindset that white people are now the victims. You ignore history and the effects that this history has had on different racial groups.

You have a flaw in your thinking...nothing will help you...you will live your life feeling offended and upset because you think white people are now the victims of discrimination due to the celebration of those effected racial groups celebrating steps towards equality.

Until you can comprehend the history and the current effects of that history...no one can help you...you will have to climb out of that ignorance yourself.
edit on 5-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


In that citation they identify her as the youngest so her youth is what they highlighted since that was unique. They weren't being age divisive with that were they? Lol

Likewise gabby being the first African American was what was highlighted because that was unique.

Not an isse IMHO.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


In that citation they identify her as the youngest so her youth is what they highlighted since that was unique. They weren't being age divisive with that were they? Lol

Likewise gabby being the first African American was what was highlighted because that was unique.

Not an isse IMHO.


Seriously? lol They did neglect to mention her race though. And that was the important part, because we all know that had she been "black" or "African American" they would have most certainly (based upon the past examples) have pointed this out, sadly.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


I can not help you.

You have the mindset that white people are now the victims. You ignore history and the effects that this history has had on different racial groups.

You have a flaw in your thinking...nothing will help you...you will live your life feeling offended and upset because you think white people are now the victims of discrimination due to the celebration of those effected racial groups celebrating steps towards equality.

Until you can comprehend the history and the current effects of that history...no one can help you...you will have to climb out of that ignorance yourself.
edit on 5-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)


I don't need/want nor was asking for help. Also, it is not ignorance to point out the truth of the matter. That the MSM only points out the race/ethnic backgrounds of minority athletes and purposely neglects all others. I believe that I made my point several times in this thread and leave it to be what it is. Thanks for all the interesting and educational replies it was definitely enlightening at times to be sure. Peace



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 



Seriously? lol They did neglect to mention her race though. And that was the important part, because we all know that had she been "black" or "African American" they would have most certainly (based upon the past examples) have pointed this out, sadly.


No..try to understand this.

If this girl was African American...not a single article would be reporting her as the youngest African American...they would simply report her as the youngest...PERIOD.

This is like kindergarten...which of these things are unique for her sport...that this gymnast was the youngest...or that she was white??? The correct answer is...the youngest...hence it is reported that she is the youngest.

Now with Gabby...which of these things are unique for her sport...that she is an American...or that she was the first African American???

I'll let you answer that one for homework.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 



That the MSM only points out the race/ethnic backgrounds of minority athletes and purposely neglects all others.


And by all others...you mean whites...right???

Those poor white victims.



I don't know if you are white or not...but if you are...you should really stop feeling like you are a poor white victim.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
Ok guys, wow can we tame down the immature personal attacks on each other?

NOW! On with the show!

According to CBS sports:


Katie Ledecky reacts to the scoreboard showing her gold medal-winning time at Friday's 800m final. (US Presswire) Americans went three-for-three in first Friday medal events. The most surprising of the results was the third one, the 800-meter freestyle final.American swim phenom Katie Ledecky become the youngest swimmer ever to win a gold medal, as her 8:14.63 finish clearly gave her first place.


m.cbssports.com...

Yet another example of how the MSM does NOT identify this athletes race, because she is not "black" or "African American". Katie Ledecky is THE YOUNGEST SWIMMER EVER TO WIN A GOLD MEDAL! But do they say she is the:

"Youngest Caucasian American swimmer ever to win a gold medal"?

No. They do not. They only identify her as:

"American swim phenom"

Hypocrisy by the media again by not celebrating a white person's ethnic background, yet it is completely celebrated when it's a "black" or "African American" athlete.

Please explain....
edit on 5-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: quotes


YOU are being divisive!

The article says she is young, is that being ageist now?

Ill make it simple, swimming and gymnastics are sports dominated by caucasians, so if there is an exception the media will grasp on it, so if a black girl wins, black people WILL take interest in the article so the media makes money selling the story or from advertising etc.

In the end it will serve to get more black girls to take interest in the sport around the world, WHICH IS GOOD.

Why are you taking offence to this? She's happy, we are happy for her. Why are you so obsessed to everything being a hidden agenda?



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer
 

Hidden agenda? Of course, you are on a conspiracy site


Explain to me why Jordyn Wieber wasn't celebrated for being the first "Lebanese American" to win a gold medal...

*crickets*



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 



Explain to me why Jordyn Wieber wasn't celebrated for being the first "Lebanese American" to win a gold medal


Because Lebanese Americans did not suffer through hundreds of years of legal slavery and legal systematic oppression like African Americans did.

This has been explained to you over and over.

You have ignored it through the entire thread.

You are either not bright enough to comprehend it or you are being willfully ignorant.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 



Explain to me why Jordyn Wieber wasn't celebrated for being the first "Lebanese American" to win a gold medal


Because Lebanese Americans did not suffer through hundreds of years of legal slavery and legal systematic oppression like African Americans did.

This has been explained to you over and over.

You have ignored it through the entire thread.

You are either not bright enough to comprehend it or you are being willfully ignorant.


Wow, ok, so there was massive slavery and oppression, all over the entire planet, and it was not just African Americans who were enslaved or suffered throughout history. But in the Olympic arena the athletes are not competing under their particular races but for their countries and should be referred to not by their races, but by the country in which they represent. For example, Gabby should have only been referred to as an American. Period. Not sure why this is not clear.
edit on 5-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


***cricket stop chirping because someone speaks up***

... because Lebanese don't have an atrocious racial history in the US.

Lebanese first started immigrating to the US in 1854 as Christian settlers. They were never slaves, and settled in the beginning in Boston, Massachusetts and surrounding states. Later in their history they spread down the east coast and across the country, many buying farms in Texas. Early settlers started off primarily as peddlers and bought land eventually, making many of them quite wealthy.

It seems that they integrated into the US quite smoothly, and within a couple of generations were wealthy, accepted land owners, and an integrated part of US culture (chances are that at least a few of them even had black slaves themselves... though I am speculating on that).

It seems to me that large portions of the older Lebanese community would most definitely view themselves primarily as US citizens, and have never had the need to label themselves otherwise.

That's most likely why it wasn't a pertinent point for the media to make.

Cheers



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


So an athlete should be denied one of their attributes, that both her and her community is proud of. There have now been two African Americans chime into this thread... and both have been proud of her heritage. You seem to want to deny them that right.

An Indigenous Australian also walked into his boxing match wearing the Aboriginal Flag... should he also have been denied that right?

... however... if a Lebanese American athlete made a big deal about their Lebanese heritage, chances are that so would the media.... the fact is that sub-group of the US doesn't feel the need to... while the African Americans do still feel a need to, as has been highlighted with many history lessons throughout this thread.

Cheers
edit on 5-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
reply to post by kykweer
 

Hidden agenda? Of course, you are on a conspiracy site


Explain to me why Jordyn Wieber wasn't celebrated for being the first "Lebanese American" to win a gold medal...

*crickets*


Uh... America only officially recognizes six races for it citizens. Closest non official term would be Arab-American, which is classified as "white".

Which doesn't really make a lot of sense...



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The Olympics have always been a world stage for people to highlight world events and political and social issues. The US boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics for obvious reasons.

It is an event perfect for conveying an idea or stance, in this case the growing equality of the African American people.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by puzzlesphere
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


So an athlete should be denied one of their attributes, that both her and her community is proud of. There have now been two African Americans chime into this thread... and both have been proud of her heritage. You seem to want to deny them that right.

An Indigenous Australian also walked into his boxing match wearing the Aboriginal Flag... should he also have been denied that right?

... however... if a Lebanese American athlete made a big deal about their Lebanese heritage, chances are that so would the media.... the fact is that sub-group of the US doesn't feel the need to... while the African Americans do still feel a need to, as has been highlighted with many history lessons throughout this thread.

Cheers
edit on 5-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)


I get what you are saying, however I have several black "African American" friends who agree with me that they feel as though the media is singling their race out, by pointing out their race and not the race of any of the other athletes. It is the way the MSM keeps people focused on race, and not on unity as human beings. Because being treated equally means just that...being treated just like everyone else is being treated.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc
 


... but they do point out others races/ethnicities, when pertinent...

... and I don't quite agree with the sentiment you are presenting. It is possible to have unity with diversity, and it is what we should all be striving for; to celebrate the diversity and uniqueness of the human race, without fear of highlighting an individuals attributes... I would go so far as to say that unity without diversity sounds like fascism, or at the very least a very bland world to live in.

Being treated equally doesn't mean denying an individuals attributes, to me denying facts and individuals unique personal history is the opposite of true equality... it is trying to pigeon-hole everyone, which isn't realistic.

The fact is that we all are not equal, for a range of reasons (for instance I would sure like a few more IQ points... but I am what I am... ;-j), being able to be proud of who we are, and who our neighbors are, and being aware of all of the history (good and bad) that has led us to where we are is the important thing.

Truth and honesty, without negativity... and the truth is that Gabby is African American... and as a US citizen, whether the media chooses to highlight certain aspects or not, I am proud of her for all that she is.

Cheers
edit on 5-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The simple fact once the black community or liberal white media labels someone an African American.
It creates separation knowingly or not. The separation is based on race but the effects are of peoples personal interests because the topic has a little separation feel to it.

Sure the Black Community is proud, but now every other heritage community loses a little bit of interest.
and it not because of being prejudice it's because we loose a little common ground that we are told and forced to lose.
The only one who truly loses in this case is Little Gabby. I see the media pushing for her to be the next Olympic Darling but because of this push and because of the separation she was given by talk of first African American she is now at a disadvantage, which is sad because the second up to when she won gold she was an American afterwards when she won gold she was then labeled the first African American/
In that process, I felt good for her but peaked out at the same time because I lost a little bit of interest because of the way she was labeled creating a separation that I was forced to accept.

It is time that the term African American be dropped, and the American with a African heritage be written

I just want to enjoy little Gabby as an American who beat the odds against the toughest competition to win gold.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Bloody Nora, this threads got messy!





top topics
 
64
<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

log in

join