It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law in North Carolina Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

news.yahoo.com

A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.
(visit the link for the full news article)

When I saw the thread title, for a minute I thought that North Carolina banned the latest scientific predictions of sea-level rise. Then I clicked on the link, and the OP was nothing more than a loosely-related clip from Yahoo News. Is this just Yahoo trying to get more visitors by posting articles with misleading headlines, with no discussion whatsoever on ATS?
Sorry, I'm just getting tired of all the wasted clicks only to find nothing more than a link or a youtube video with no discussion. I thought that's what Twitter was for - repeating ad-nauseum things which have already been posted somewhere else while Adding nothing whatsoever to the topic/discussion.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I live in coastal NC. about 10-15 years ago a bunch of well meaning scientists went on a crusade to clean up our water in the rivers and sounds. Great idea right ? well they stumbled on some kind of "Psyteria". A biological critter that may or may not have been causing red tides and all sorts of health problems. However a LOT of research money was on the line. After they got through with their dog and pony show they shut down the real estate market for 5 years, sunk property values and basically screwed a lot of folks out of normal real estate gains the rest of the country realize... After heads started to roll and investigations ensued "psyteria" which has been around for 100's of millions of years just kind of disappeared. No one knows if it was because they stopped all the hog farms from dumping or the economy tanked or whatever but I would be very careful making projections and prognostications that could drastically effect the well being of coastal peoples. I am all for clean water but don't invent monsters to push an agenda. Its unethical, wrong and dishonest. Most of all it hurts poor folks that can least afford this kind of political nonsense.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

... Do you not know how this forum works? My discussion is the second post, as it is in all threads for this subforum.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

we aren't speaking of rest of world we are talking about north carolina . there are parts of the world were high and low tide difference has been recorded at 3 meters or more but we are not talking about there we are talking about my local state government deciding to stop jumping on bandwagon till they get all the facts. they in recent years have been burned one time to many by scientific fear mongering . and we are not a bunch of backwoods hicks we have some of the most advanced research facilities in the world in our state so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
reply to post by cetaphobic

we aren't speaking of rest of world we are talking about north carolina . there are parts of the world were high and low tide difference has been recorded at 3 meters or more but we are not talking about there we are talking about my local state government deciding to stop jumping on bandwagon till they get all the facts. they in recent years have been burned one time to many by scientific fear mongering . and we are not a bunch of backwoods hicks we have some of the most advanced research facilities in the world in our state so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I agree I love my state and we are lucky to live here, do you mind me asking where in NC do you live?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
New Law in NC Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise...

The key word would be "predictions"... as in some scientists predicting an Ice Age... not unlike about 35 years ago. Had we listened then, what effects would that have had on the next 30 years?

We know the oceans are dynamic and changing. Most educated coastal peoples along NC's coast know that there are villages and hamlets now under the ocean that were thriving some 200-300 years ago.

Most people that have homes and vacation cottages along the coast of NC also know that given the right storm... beaches dissappear and ocean fronts can move over an entire block or street... nothing new here.

What the NC Legislature is doing is using scientific data and fact... big difference than "predictions." When you are going to pass a series of laws and regulations that will have a long term impact on residents, businesses, a booming tourist trade, and an entire tax base and infrastructure, you want more than predictions... you want solid data.

Too often, people have an emotional reaction to an event or "predictions" and immediately react without thinking the action through and the long term ramifications... it is this very thing that the NC legislature is trying to prevent.

For a record of accurate "predictions" and the emotional response to act... see ATS.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, the people not listening will not get insurance on their dwellings or business without a huge pricetag. It's not the job of the state to respond with that ban on information. The Feds have already said they are not going to be giving money to build again in high risk areas if an emergency is declared. Get used to it people, the government is not going to bail out the people who build in stupid places anymore.. Finally someone is getting wise, they keep building over and over in places that get destroyed.
Wake up America.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Good. Teach the data, let nutcases come to their own conclusions, instead of telling them merely that the sea is rising.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
the Climate Change theory is a hoax anyway. North Carolina is just making sure the hoaxers don't mess with the coast.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't know much about this topic, or what is going on with this new law. What I can say, is our government (a.k.a. me and you) has given hundreds of millions to lobbyists and global warming scientists who continue to be debunked by contrary research. Who is right? That's your opinion. But until we get more info on this specific story, I feel both arguments can be made.
edit on 5-8-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2012 by capone1 because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.

Old law's make it illegal to run into a theater or public venue and yell fire. For the last 40 years these global alarmist's have done just that. If it is slightly chilly for a few years they will talk about A global freeze and demand global communism/neo feudalism, and if it is too warm for a few years they scream about "global warming" and demand global communism/neo feudalism as the only solution.

By all rights many in the field should already be in jail for sprouting their lies for so many years. It is just that because of the internet, so many people are capable of being conned at one time by it.

But heck, anyone who is siding with the alarmist's should be able to explain why there isn't a sheet of ice a mile thick over North America, or all the other failed "Predictions" of the climate alarmist's.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Hahaha oh wow. Let me just echo this:
"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," Stephen Colbert joked.

This is so pathetic. There's no excuse for this. Their bad excuse is that "the state needed to put a moratorium on predictions of sea level rise until scientific techniques improve." So why don't we just keep destroying the Earth until our scientific techniques are perfect. Certainly sounds sane and rational to me!

news.yahoo.com

I am not a scientist but this sounds idiotic. I think the science behind measuring how much something has risen or fallen has been pretty solid for a very long time now. Take away the claims of what is causing it but keeping facts from being taught is unacceptable.

Sea level has risen that is verifiable fact it is just dumb not to teach it.

edit on 17-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hahaha oh wow. Let me just echo this:
"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," Stephen Colbert joked.

This is so pathetic. There's no excuse for this. Their bad excuse is that "the state needed to put a moratorium on predictions of sea level rise until scientific techniques improve." So why don't we just keep destroying the Earth until our scientific techniques are perfect. Certainly sounds sane and rational to me!

news.yahoo.com

well Pres Obama promised us he would stop the rise of the seas and cure global warming and he keeps all his promises.............NOT

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join