It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law in North Carolina Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

New Law in North Carolina Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise

news.yahoo.com

A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hahaha oh wow. Let me just echo this:
"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," Stephen Colbert joked.

This is so pathetic. There's no excuse for this. Their bad excuse is that "the state needed to put a moratorium on predictions of sea level rise until scientific techniques improve." So why don't we just keep destroying the Earth until our scientific techniques are perfect. Certainly sounds sane and rational to me!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
sickening.....gross abuse of power.

we'll just turn a blind eye to it,
that's always worked out in the past....not
that's the governments mentality.....
cant control it so outlaw it.
sorry to tell you you cant stop global warming/cooling.
it keeps the planet in equilibrium.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
So they did pass it did they?

I've posted they were considering it - www.abovetopsecret.com... - but I didnt' think they'd be quite so moronic....

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Wow, just wow. Do you suppose this has to do with the melting icecaps? I have to shake my head at this one.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Pretty sure this came about last summer, still doesn't make sense a year later.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Wow, just wow. Do you suppose this has to do with the melting icecaps? I have to shake my head at this one.

That could be part of it.

I just don't understand how anyone could think this is okay, even if you don't believe in man-made climate change.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

What will they do?

Arrest the waves washing them away?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

The news story is from 11 hours ago according to the site.

My favorite quote-

for the next four years to those based on "historical data." Tom Thompson, president of NC-20, a coastal development group and a key supporter of the law, said the science used to make the 39-inch prediction was flawed, and added that the resources commission failed to consider the economic consequences of preparing the coast for a one-meter rise in sea level, under which up to 2,000 square miles would be threatened.

"Sorry, sea level rise is too expensive! We just can't afford it. Your science is wrong."

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I dont get it? They are saying they dont want to believe sea levels will rise, because that will mean they cant build their massive, 4,000 sq ft homes right on the beach anymore? Thats REALLY their argument? Well, if you've ever been to Outer Banks, you would know these people live in a golf-course fantasy land.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You know, the same group that pushes that the sea level is going to rise also posts crap about the area I'm living in sinking about a foot a year.

Now, the sea level rising, sure, could be happening. But I certainly as hell would notice a foot drop a year when I'm on land that is maybe 6 ft above sea level...when I've been back down here foe `15.

Now, I don't want to ban this type of things, but I do think that it would do for people to go and measure the sea level out there on the coast, for a few years, to see if it's something that can be shown as negligible or not.

But that's the thing. We've been told that the sea level rises and sinks, or at least some of the land subsides for various reasons, but has anyone ever seen data on sea level changes for the past 10 years? Does this even exist? If not, why do we automatically teach it as fact? Seriously, DATA, not decrees.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
You know, the same group that pushes that the sea level is going to rise also posts crap about the area I'm living in sinking about a foot a year.

Now, the sea level rising, sure, could be happening. But I certainly as hell would notice a foot drop a year when I'm on land that is maybe 6 ft above sea level...when I've been back down here foe `15.

Where do you live?

We've been told that the sea level rises and sinks, or at least some of the land subsides for various reasons, but has anyone ever seen data on sea level changes for the past 10 years? Does this even exist? If not, why do we automatically teach it as fact? Seriously, DATA, not decrees.

Yes, and it is:

Global average sea level rose at an average rate of around 1.7 ± 0.3 mm per year from 1950 to 2009 and at a satellite-measured average rate of about 3.3 ± 0.4 mm per year from 1993 to 2009

www.sciencemag.org...

"Sea-Level Rise and Its Impact on Coastal Zones"

www.ipcc.ch...-1

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

My grandma owns a small small ocean front lot on Emerald Isle, one of the outer banks of North Carolina. The asking price (when it wasn't for sale) was about 3 million, for just the lot, on which they would build a 1 million dollar beach "cottage."

This is the reasoning, I am almost sure of it.

Property values would fall, new tourism would decline...

I mean you guys realize some of those "islands" are just about 10 feet above sea level not counting the dunes...
Any sea level rise in the range of maybe 5 feet, means 0 beaches in a lot of areas.

This is Billions of Dollars..

Course..
No one told the water this.. HahaHaha...
oh man I am embarrassed for being born and raised here.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
... Why is North Carolina backpeddling so much? Is there a mass expanse of Republicans in that area's state government or something? I mean, first they do away with domestic partnerships and now they're ignoring factual data on sea level rise just because they can't afford to take precautions. Who says that you can outlaw data being discovered just because you don't like it? I bet next thing you know, Romney will be in office and will make the theory of Evolution illegal just because he doesn't like it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So, everybody is assuming that the predictions are accurate? There is some controversy on the point. I assume the legislature weighed the costs and benefits of using, or not using the predictions for their future decisions. It looks like they came to a decision.

Wrong? Maybe. Maybe not. But not clearly stupid or impossible.
edit on 3-8-2012 by charles1952 because: correction of words.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
... Why is North Carolina backpeddling so much? Is there a mass expanse of Republicans in that area's state government or something?

Are you joking?

You did make me laugh. Thanks for that.
I am from Chapel Hill, and that is an island of it's own. A non judgmental "liberal" island.. Then I moved out from there and met North Carlina proper..

With all it's "budda beans" and racism. Churches, and what are "the gays" doing??

haha.. Oh man...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I guess I need to check and see exactly how far I am from the NC coast line to see if I need to move further inland.
This is a joke... It makes me wonder what they are hiding/covering up? Do they expect a steep rise and are doing this beforehand? Geez.
edit on 8/3/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by Myomistress
... Why is North Carolina backpeddling so much? Is there a mass expanse of Republicans in that area's state government or something?

Are you joking?

You did make me laugh. Thanks for that.
I am from Chapel Hill, and that is an island of it's own. A non judgmental "liberal" island.. Then I moved out from there and met North Carlina proper..

With all it's "budda beans" and racism. Churches, and what are "the gays" doing??

haha.. Oh man...

-Winks- I just like to pin things on the Republicans because it's... Normally their faults.
I'm going to stop now before I derail the topic and start some kind of flame war.

So yeah, this is stupid, discuss.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

The headline is a little misleading. they are not banning predictions of sea level rise. They can, and are, published all over the place. This has nothing to do with property values.

The state is simply saying that these predictions are so speculative that they will not use them in their planning.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
So, everybody is assuming that the predictions are accurate? There is some controversy on the point. I assume the legislature weighed the costs and benefits of using, or not using the predictions for their future decisions. It looks like they came to a decision.

Wrong? Maybe. Maybe not. But not clearly stupid or impossible.
edit on 3-8-2012 by charles1952 because: correction of words.

I'd say its stupid to outright ignore data that is inconvenient to commercial development and insurance rates. Sea levels ARE rising. Show me a study that refutes that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join