It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just don't get it !! .... No more Mr. Nice guy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't.. I really don't get it..

You try hard to do your best and you get very little back for your efforts even though you've given a lot more than most usually give..

I've been on ATS a long time. I'm not one of the worlds greatest posters, nor am i some amazing library full of "on the button" info that wows people and earns flag after flag upon billions of stars.. I know that posting at certain times of day can affect a thread.. I realise thread titles matter (but shouldn't).. I know that sometimes you'll make a thread and nothing happens... I've got loads of those.. But when you do a specific thread for a specific purpose and get almost nowhere.. what's the point?

Recently I created a thread..
well, fair enough.. another thread to fill the ATS servers with text and vids.. whoop de doo...

But it's the work I puut into it.. it's the time that it took to be able to actually sit down and do it.. it's the content I provided that is going to waste..

Yeah, yeah.. so what..

Well, to get this thread created I physicaly traveled a total of 400 miles, took an entire day of effort to obtain the content of the thread.. Then I had to wait almost two months before I could actually post anything in relation to the topic due to restrictions imposed outside of ATS

so what happened once I posted the thread.. for three hours, not one reply.. Yes there were people looking at the thread..a couple of flags and stars.. and that was it.

How many times have you gone into a thread and someone says "pics/vids or it didn't happen"?
In this thread of mine, I got pics.. I also have at least 11 vids.. one long one and the rest pretty short..
I wrote explanations for everyhting.. listed it all in a way that gave a tour of where I'd been..

I presented evidence...

Debateable evidence.. something to get your teeth into..

Yet still... no bites on the big juicy bit of bait on a very large hook..

Over a period of almost 4 days, 16 people trickled into the thread and got involved in it.. THANK YOU for taking part.

Some of the comments made by them were incredible.. did not imagine that.. but am grateful.

i'll post a couple..

Fantastically well done.
Thanks a lot Extralien for this thread!
lots of evidence!
Some good stuff here
Great thread- very interesting.
Brilliant thread and videos!!

ETC. etc.

So what's gone wrong.. why has my faith in the member of ATS been diminished? Why am i left with this sour taste of "why did I bother" in my mouth..

I'm not ranting to promote the thread.. it's dying already.. slowly making its way down the forum list and my recent posts list.. dying the death it had when it started..

I ranted about threads a while back and nothing has changed..
Creating proper threads..

And look at this one.. Posted today.. a prime example of what I mean..
Archaeologists discover 2nd Temple seal in JERUSALEM

The thread creator had the damned cheek to copy the entire news report and set each bit out in quote markers as if they'd actually done some work on the thread..

i just simply do not get it..
What the heck do we need to do ....
How can a thread like this get so much response in just a few hours and get the same amount of pages that mine did in 4 days.. and mine with loads of factual work and evidence to boot..

don't get it..

thanks for listening..

No more Mr. Nice guy

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A worthy rant I must say..

Good to see a warranted rant, and could you link the thread you are talking about.

Its sad to see the threads where the op has put some much effort into go to waste, and sometimes I miss them, but not sure in this case.

Linky please...

oh and a song to go with your rant

edit on 1-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Are you referring to your ghost hunter thread?

I honestly, wouldn't even have looked at it. That area of ATS I tend to avoid, the whole "ghost" thing in general I find dis-interesting.

Some people just have their areas of interest and this happens to fall out of mine.

I mean you make it sound like the whole purpose was to post a thread in doing it in the first place? I mean was the sole purpose to get stars and flags?

or where you doing something you enjoyed doing and found a way to incorporate ATS?

I commend you for mentioning your hobby on ATS, and the research you did, it adds to the community as a whole

Looking through the thread now, I find it funny the 2nd post in the thread is you saying this.

Posted three hours ago.. 3 flags and not one reply???

edit on 1-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Some people just have their areas of interest and this happens to fall out of mine.

I mean you make it sound like the whole purpose was to post a thread in doing it in the first place? I mean was the sole purpose to get stars and flags?
I commend you for mentioning your hobby on ATS, and the research you did, it adds to the community as a whole

i do understand what you mean about peoples interests.. and I did consider that...

The purpose of the thread was to add to the specific ATS forum in general.. I'm not a flag/star grabber.. nor am i an attention freak.. i just can't get to grips why a whole lot of work ends up almost dead in comparison to someones copy/paste of an entire news report.

adding to the community is the point of any and all threads.. make each thread count. Give each thread a purpose.. not just slap up a new bit of paint that was stripped of someone elses wall.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

adding to the community is the point of any and all threads.. make each thread count. Give each thread a purpose.. not just slap up a new bit of paint that was stripped of someone elses wall.

well ATS is pretty good at pointing that out when it happens.

Even though I kinda find those type of threads helpful, often times people refrence stuff years old that I may have missed...

Really though your 2nd post in that thread was complaining about lack of response, so you make a Rant on top of it?

That doesn't strike you as Thread whoring for stars and flags at all?

Ive had threads that I thought should of been more widely received, just keep plugging away and trying to add to the community and hope you inform some people, and from the thread I see people where informed, and enjoyed it.

Is that not enough?

You a glass half empty kinda guy?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Maybe no one had anything nice to say about due to their personal beliefs or something of that accord and simply steered clear of that particular thread? or

I only use Recent Posts to see what ATS tends to be thinking on a whole in this moment,
ATS is my general news site with the conspiracy element, so it would be easy to overlook your thread if it weren't there on the front page at the exact same time i'm on. I probably would have read it and posted if I had something to say.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

it's not the S&F's..

It's more to do with the "pics/vids or it didn't happen" thing..

I generally dont sensationalize my titles.. I don't "OMG" as an example.. I don't "breaking news" as another..

I haven't even been in a rush to make this rant.. but like I said, my thread is not as important as what I am trying to say.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Maybe no one had anything nice to say about due to their personal beliefs or something of that accord and simply steered clear of that particular thread? or

Fair enough.. if they don't like it, Idon't mind a comment saying so. It's valid discussion.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

This happens all too often on ATS. But it comes with the territory, I suppose. FWIW, I thought it was a good thread, and deserving the S&F I gave it.

edit on 8/1/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
That's one of the problems with ATS, It is the threads of the more "tabloid" nature that seem to get the most attention and hang around on the boards the longest. Most of my threads last a couple of hours, they are not controversial enough and don't provoke an argument.

Most of the popular threads on ATS revolve around race baiting issues or left vs right slagging matches.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
As a new user, I have a few hypothesis' as to why so few commens:

It's easy to be overhelmed by the sheer volume of infomation so perhaps this is a problem.

I'm uninterested in ghosts and far more into UFO's, Area 51, Moon and Mars anomolies. I wouldn't click on a thread about this and I think maybe a proportion of other ATS members feel the same way.

Maybe your thread was boring/incomplete/sensationalist etc. In my short time here I've learned to avoid thread with totles like 'OMG, inter-Galactic Federation Warships orbitng the Sun on NASA-Cam' .
I also hate the assumptions some posters have; for example, I personally believe that some NASA photos have been altered. When someone makes a post like,'NASA caught lying again. More doctored images and 'dust' when NASA are in fact currently working on their Warp-Factor 4v.094 to complete the hyperdimensinal space tunnels they have tried to hide from us. Obvious theMSM are under the control of Borfff (shape shifter) and his wife Kwee from the Pleiades. NASA have received more funding fom the KulKulKul lizards who live under Antarctica. These reptiles control the global drug trade with the Queen, Obama and the CIA, and they're at was with the Pleiadians. AND YOU BELIEVED WHAT NASA TOLD YOU. LOL sheeple/shill/Government stoooge

Yes, I believe perhaps N ASA doctor mages but I don't like the assumption that if you don't accept conspiracy theorists stories you're a shill or a stooge.

edit on 11-8-2012 by cuckooold because: (I'm a pedant)

edit on 11-8-2012 by cuckooold because: pedant

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Might I suggest sending out PMs to those members you are friends with or have interest in paranormal topics?
Other members use this technique quite often and frankly were it not for their messages I would have never seen their threads as they tend to get lost in the constant flow of new threads.
Very fine work and a big thumbs up for the accompanying videos and pics.
Like Benrl, paranormal subjects are not much to my interest so I have no comments as to the validity of the evidence you present.
Nicely made thread post though, done in true ATS style.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

The problem is, people come here for entertainment not content (generalizing). It may not always be the case but 90% of the time,

I HAVE AN ALIEN TRAPPED IN MY BATHROOM AND IT IS EATING MY HANDSOAP AND SCREECHING PROFANTIES~~

thread does and always will get more views and responses
then the thought out and planned thread.

top topics

join