It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lakewood (Colorado) Cake Shop Refuses Wedding Cake To Gay Couple.

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I am trying to.

Sadly you are not discussing the topic. You cannot compare the U.S. (where this thread takes place) to other counties, the laws are too different.

So let us discuss the topic shall we?

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

The Guy will make them any cake but a wedding cake according to his own words.

Can he tell a disabled person he can't make them a wedding cake because they are disabled.

Can he tell a black person he can't make them a wedding cake because they are black?

Equality laws will catch up - - - then guys like this better get over it or close their business.

edit on 1-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Links prove or explain nothing really. One could find a contrary link. "onespirit..Blahblahbleh.com" I am sure they have no agenda. Sounds like they are trying to rewrite history to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I am trying to.

Sadly you are not discussing the topic. You cannot compare the U.S. (where this thread takes place) to other counties, the laws are too different.

So let us discuss the topic shall we?

Raist

People are People - - Equality is Equality.

Do you know what is going on with LGBT equality in other parts of the world? I do - - because I follow it.

Equality - - Equal Rights is not off topic.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Not the same at all. Can not compare handicapped and blacks to this issue.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

The Guy will make them any cake but a wedding cake according to his own words.

Right. For some that seems completely reasonable.

Others, like myself, are able to analyze it for it's actual intent.

I really feel if people replaced 'gay' with another group of people that are already accepted and afforded full rights in all these examples they would start to see the unjustified and damaging discrimination taking place.

Originally posted by murphy22
Honestly nodody cares if Homosexuals want to play wedding, But people should not be forced to play a part in the play date.

Well for one stop lying through your teeth. YOU 'care'. Many others clearly take issue with it, hence the whole damn issue. What an asinine comment.

Secondly your use of 'play wedding and play time' is telling enough so stop trying to hide your true colors behind "I don't care".

just like I would not sell condoms to a guy I knew was going off to screw a cow or sheep. Which to me is the same as two dudes......

If that's the same thing I can't imagine what your sex life has looked like

Not the same at all. Can not compare handicapped and blacks to this issue.

Yet they all have something in common. A part of their nature that is out of their control, intrinsic to who they are. Yes I am sure you think homosexuality is a choice. You're wrong.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Of course he cannot. But is not about them being gay according to him. He said he will make a homosexual any cake but that because he does not agree with the marriage. It is likely the issue of the definition he does not agree with. Which is why I offer that all should get civil union and the religious can have a seperate marriage thing.

The term marriage has been used as a religious one likely since its start. Leave it a religious term but let the government use civil unions for gay, straight, or whatever.

You also have to understand this is privately owned business. Unless there is a law preventing him from doing it he can. Do I agree with his choice? Not entirely, however it is his chioce.

Where is your anger at the links I posted twice though that are very relevant to this story as they are a reversal of the same issues? Is it okay for the gay bar to ban bacheloret parties?

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It the same, because they are both wrong. And "queer" which is the point you failed to get. Which is not a surprise.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

But is not about them being gay according to him. He said he will make a homosexual any cake but that because he does not agree with the marriage.

Truly, objectively, break that down. He doesn't have issue with gays, but he has issue with them getting married. I don't have issue with black people I just don't believe they should be allowed to date my white sister. It's the same. Is the second example okay in our modern moral landscape? Then why is the first?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Is it okay for the gay bar to ban bacheloret parties?

What exactly do you know about that?

I listen to OutQ - - - interviews with the owner - - comments from call-ins - - comments from the dancers who work at the club - - actually about an hours worth of discussion on the Bachelorette ban.

IMO - the entertainment business is different. Such as Ladies Night. Its not a discrimination but a way of promoting business.

Stop trying to sway this subject off focus.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That is just it though. If you want to talk about all that we need a thread just for that. Talking about the complete lack of gay rights in Uganda (this is only an example not what was mentioned) in a thread about a cake shop in the U.S. really broadens the subject so much you lose the original content.

I really wish we could discuss the subject at hand. A cake shop in Colorado refusing a wedding cake for gay marriage.

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I really don't care if they do or don't. What I care about is them/they demanding I/we accept it. When it shouldn't be about us that don't accept it. It should be about them if they "love each other". Has nothing to do with me at all. therefore I do not care. But I will never see it as a marriage, nor would I call it one. But if they want to believe it is so? Makes no difference to me. Just so they don't ask me to bake a cake for there "wedding" because I wouldn't. Just like I wouldn't bake one for any other ocassion I don't agree with.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Please fix your post is has quotes I did not type. Thank you.

As for my part. I am taking the mans word until it can be proven differently.

This would be no different than trying to force a church to marry a gay couple when it is against their belief.

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

That is just it though.

No one who called into the show believed it was about gay marriage.

The owner was getting requests 5 nights a week for bachlorette parties - - - his regulars were complaining about how obnoxious the women got.

He took an easy out - - - saying it was about marriage equality.

Now - - back to subject.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

There are a great deal of people who do not agree with interracial dating /marriage. That is their right to believe that no matter how sad it is.

If you do not want a black man dating your sister you can tell each of them that. Likely your sister will disown you and live her life by her own will.

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It is not different at all it is a business that is not allowing one group of people. You cannot pick and chose here.

It is also on topic. Be honest they both involve a business in the U.S. that are discriminating against a group.

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

There are a great deal of people who do not agree with interracial dating /marriage. That is their right to believe that no matter how sad it is.

But by law you can not refuse to make them a wedding cake because they are black.

As I stated - - equality laws will catch up.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It is not different at all it is a business that is not allowing one group of people. You cannot pick and chose here.

I am done on the bachorette ban.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Then we need to believe this owner who says it is about marriage and not about them being gay.

Same issue different group.

If we are taking owner words at face value both are wrong.

Raist

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm surprised it wasn't the other way around. I remember when the issue of gay marriage first came up, some gays threatened to ruin hetero weddings by sending wilted flowers or a lousy cake. Of course it's the same thing as this, hurting their own business to protest...but maybe no one is ultimately losing business.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join