It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Lakewood (Colorado) Cake Shop Refuses Wedding Cake To Gay Couple.

page: 13
6
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


We are very sensitive to certain issues,

But I remember the days of the Pollock jokes.

I think in many ways we are becoming to sensitive, or handling the situation wrong.

I think this is why you see people supporting Chick fill a whatever, and the cake store, because people are tired of being afraid of everything they say,

Personally I would have sold them a cake,

Everyone needs to take a chill pill.




posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I think in many ways we are becoming to sensitive, or handling the situation wrong.


I do not agree when it comes to homosexuals.

This is not just discrimination - - - this is pure hate due to a god belief and pure ignorance.

Many Fundamentalist truly belief as some Fundamentalist Preachers have espoused (in many ways) - - that homosexuals are the cause of the destruction of humanity.

This is way more then just discrimination.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


I understand what you are saying, but I do believe in many instances we are to easily offended,

I have to watch all the anti christian post, it isn't easy, and I also have to accept the fact that many times Christian are overbearing.

Like you said we are all individuals.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Annee
 


I understand what you are saying, but I do believe in many instances we are to easily offended,

I have to watch all the anti christian post, it isn't easy, and I also have to accept the fact that many times Christian are overbearing.

Like you said we are all individuals.



Well we are in what could be called a Transition Period - - I suppose.

As said I'm old enough to have experienced the Civil Rights movement and forced busing.

Its sad Equality has to be forced - - but it does.

When Federal Law finally catches up to Equal Rights of LGBT - - - then the pendulum can swing back to center.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
One more thing, I think Jesus would have sold them a cake,

You know We Christians always seem to forget the, you who are without sin cast the first stone, now don't take that as I am saying they are sinning, but the cake boss does,

I wouldn't have had the heart to deny them a cake, let alone tell them because they are gay.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


I can agree with you on this for sure.

Would I have sold them cake? Most likely if it was not something perverted (not saying they were asking for that BTW), just like I would not really want to do cakes shaped like genitals (someone might come in or even an employee might find it offensive and not only that it is a bit crude).

As I have said I have no issues with homosexuals wanting to be seen in a united relationship in the eyes of their government and whatever stuff they think it gets them (not sure about that because I get charged higher tax for being married than when single). The only issue I have as well as those I have spoken to is the word marriage. I believe that should be a religious use only (and yes I understand heterosexuals have ruined that name over the years and I think things should be done to correct this as well.

I think what would solve all of this is to only recognize a union in the eyes of the government and if they wanted a religious ceremony and the term marriage it should be separated and the term marriage should not be recognized by the government.

Raist



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready
 



I know what I believe is wrong with discrimination, but I don't see how it is any of my business, or yours, to dictate what other people believe.


You can believe whatever you want to...but if you want to be a member of our society, then you can't (or shouldn't) practice your admittedly "wrong" beliefs.


How would you like to be forced to have a relationship with the biggest racist and biggot you can imagine? Is that anybody else's right to force you to create that relationship? If you had a business, and somebody came in your business that totally disgusted you with their very being, don't you have a right to refuse them service?


Providing service to someone is not "having a relationship" with them.

I'll gladly take the biggest racist/bigots money every day of the week and provide him with exactly the same service I do everyone else...I honestly have no problem with that.


Sure, it is simple to say discrimination is wrong, but that doesn't mean I want to force everyone to be ok with everything and live together in some fantasy land.


Selling a cake to someone is not "forcing" anything....it is providing the service you provide to everyone else. It doesn't put a stamp of approval on that persons behavior, it doesn't commit you to hell because you participated in providing a cake to a gay marriage (if you believe that your loving god would send you to hell for giving a cake to two people that love each other), and it doesn't require you to become gay yourself.

It's not a fantasy land...it is a land without ignorance....well...maybe that is a fantasy land.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I think in many ways we are becoming to sensitive, or handling the situation wrong.


I do not agree when it comes to homosexuals.

This is not just discrimination - - - this is pure hate due to a god belief and pure ignorance.

Many Fundamentalist truly belief as some Fundamentalist Preachers have espoused (in many ways) - - that homosexuals are the cause of the destruction of humanity.

This is way more then just discrimination.



Well, YEAH.. the book they read tells them that God sent fire down on Sodom and Gomorrah and destroyed the place because of all the gay wickedness. Now, in the 21's century, starting from about the 1940's we see a world wide escalation gay activity and they embrace those things the bible teaches are against God. These people have a right to their opinion and in some ways, they are right. It's said the end of times will be noted by such events such as a rise in wickedness, ( this would include gay activity) and yes, history proves this has happened and is happening. Therefore from their point of view, they have solid ground to believe as they do. Sure you can ignore these facts and choose not to believe in their cause but you cannot say they are wrong. History proves otherwise.

Could it just be a coincidence that their prophecies about this seem to be correct? Perhaps, but still they are validated by these things.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
One more thing, I think Jesus would have sold them a cake,

You know We Christians always seem to forget the, you who are without sin cast the first stone, now don't take that as I am saying they are sinning, but the cake boss does,

I wouldn't have had the heart to deny them a cake, let alone tell them because they are gay.


Hey! I was raised Christian - - so as I say - - I speak of what I know if I have criticism.

But I also say: "There are those who truly walk in His footsteps".

Not every Christian is of the Fundamental judgement type.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

I wonder, if the man refused to produce a wedding cake for a black couple, what the ATS feeling would be. What about a couple that wanted the little plastic figures to be holding AK47s?



Mine would be exactly the same. His business, his choice.


You guys say this so matter of factly, but truth be told if you ever came across similar at a business you'd be up in arms about it.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Annee
 


I understand what you are saying, but I do believe in many instances we are to easily offended,

I have to watch all the anti christian post, it isn't easy, and I also have to accept the fact that many times Christian are overbearing.

Like you said we are all individuals.



Well we are in what could be called a Transition Period - - I suppose.

As said I'm old enough to have experienced the Civil Rights movement and forced busing.

Its sad Equality has to be forced - - but it does.

When Federal Law finally catches up to Equal Rights of LGBT - - - then the pendulum can swing back to center.


O.k... fine. Equal rights for gays. Where do you draw the line? Equal rights for illegal aliens? Equal rights for real aliens, if they would suddenly land on the White House lawn. Equal rights for dolphins.. you know many people believe dolphins are sentient beings.

Tell me Annee.. do you have such a line.. at all?



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
These people have a right to their opinion and in some ways, they are right. It's said the end of times will be noted by such events such as a rise in wickedness, ( this would include gay activity) and yes, history proves this has happened and is happening. Therefore from their point of view, they have solid ground to believe as they do.


And "they" used the Mark of Ham to justify slavery.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix


O.k... fine. Equal rights for gays. Where do you draw the line?


Sexual orientation is a birth right. It is not what or who you choose to be.


Equal rights for illegal aliens?


They are entitled to Constitutional rights - - same as every one else.


Equal rights for real aliens, if they would suddenly land on the White House lawn.


They are entitled to Constitutional rights - - same as every one else.


Equal rights for dolphins.. you know many people believe dolphins are sentient beings.


Don't mess with PETA. They are a terrorist group.


edit on 1-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix
 



O.k... fine. Equal rights for gays. Where do you draw the line? Equal rights for illegal aliens? Equal rights for real aliens, if they would suddenly land on the White House lawn. Equal rights for dolphins.. you know many people believe dolphins are sentient beings.

Tell me Annee.. do you have such a line.. at all?


You seem to have a clear line...so what is it? Who do you think deserves rights and who do you think doesn't?

I have a line to...all humans...that is my line.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by hp1229
 
They will lose a lot of business and may have to close; it is their own fault.

I somehow doubt that he'll lose business. But you're right. It is his business and possibly fault if it goes down in sales.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by hp1229
 


Not because I disagree with gay marriage, I am actually in favor of gay marriage (although I think "marriage" should be done in a church, and they should create a legal union for any couple gay or not, that wants to form a partnership outside of a church).


Are you suggesting that religious gay couples should not be allowed to be married in a church of their faith?



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's funny how everyone is now drawing battle lines in this gay rights fight. The gays are pushing for their rights and the bigots are pushing back. This is a real social war now.

Jack Philips would rather close shop than bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. Well, given in Colorado, blatant anti-gay discrimination such as this is ILLEGAL (and being a private business does not change that, you open your company to the public you cannot selectively serve particular groups and deny others unless you have a VERY strong case), if I were Jack Philips, I'd be looking for a new career.

I think thousands of same-sex couples in Colorado should request/order wedding cakes from this man. That seems like the best response to this.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
O.k... fine. Equal rights for gays. Where do you draw the line? Equal rights for illegal aliens? Equal rights for real aliens, if they would suddenly land on the White House lawn. Equal rights for dolphins.. you know many people believe dolphins are sentient beings.

Tell me Annee.. do you have such a line.. at all?
LOL at where do you draw the line. Are you threatened by the gay community? Are you threatened by LGBT citizens having the same rights as heterosexual citizens? Seems as if you are. Almost hilarious, if it weren't so ridiculous.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


I can agree with you on this for sure.

Would I have sold them cake? Most likely if it was not something perverted (not saying they were asking for that BTW), just like I would not really want to do cakes shaped like genitals (someone might come in or even an employee might find it offensive and not only that it is a bit crude).

As I have said I have no issues with homosexuals wanting to be seen in a united relationship in the eyes of their government and whatever stuff they think it gets them (not sure about that because I get charged higher tax for being married than when single). The only issue I have as well as those I have spoken to is the word marriage. I believe that should be a religious use only (and yes I understand heterosexuals have ruined that name over the years and I think things should be done to correct this as well.

I think what would solve all of this is to only recognize a union in the eyes of the government and if they wanted a religious ceremony and the term marriage it should be separated and the term marriage should not be recognized by the government.

Raist
There are same-sex couples that are also religious. And yes, there are 1138 benefits to married couples that non-married couples do not have. So marriage, and only marriage, is acceptable. Marriage is not solely a religious term. There is one way to solve all of this------allow same-sex couples marriage. That's all it comes down to.
edit on 1-8-2012 by crazydaysandnights because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights
There are same-sex couples that are also religious. And yes, there are 1138 benefits to married couples that non-married couples do not have. So marriage, and only marriage, is acceptable. Marriage is not a sole religious term. There is one way to solve all of this------allow same-sex couples marriage. That's all it comes down to.


So simple.

And has no effect on anyone else.

If anything it has a positive effect on stability of society.


edit on 1-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
6
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

log in

join