It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Makes Guns with a 3D Printer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I'd print myself a few Cans... =) Yeah ATF, I said it!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
And to think, I still have a heck of a time installing the old fashioned HP printers and getting them to work properly. I cannot imagine what the errors would be on a 3D printer- Paper jam=Steel Jam, Out of Ink = Out of Carbon Fiber, etc. Dang!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by eatbliss

Or when you go to print or your cat jumps on the scanner and it makes a 1000 copies of them lol

I imagen there will be lots of lulz once 3d printers are cheap enough for everyone to own em.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I am having the strangest case of deja vu as I read the OP.

It had to be a year ago or so that I was listening to a Coast to Coast program in which the guest was talking about the future and how we had the technology to create matter from a print type of device. How it would put an end to hunger around the globe.

I want to say it was an old interview with a former Military person and the subject was remote viewing. I could be way way off base about the specific interview, but I vividly recall the whole "create matter from a printer" discussion.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I saw a documentary on space technology. They used one of these printers to print a adjustable wrench, moving parts were not a problem. Although the precision required for a wrench was far less than what would be needed to print a fire arm, technology will only improve. So printing fully assembled firearms, engines, ect is not an impossibility in the near future.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 26-7-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Check it out you can pick up a 3D printer off eBay...

www.ebay.com...
www.ebay.com... 6f147b9
Second one has some cool vids of it in action.

I saw one for only $600

I'm about to wet myself.

edit on 26-7-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
There will be a huge black market for illegal blue prints once these 3D printers are common place.
I've never wanted a gun before, but a 3D printed gun sounds so cool, maybe I'd get one or two. (or three).
Got to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse after all...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Baxta54

Ya, guns are illegal where I live so a printed one is probably our only chance to get one for a SHTF scenario.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
never mind guns, just think of the money you could make with tie ins to books/movies like plastic cucumbers for 50 shades of grey readers
or fake vampire teeth for twilight fans

and actually its probably very environmentally friendly since you'll be able to print out a replacement part for something rather than possibly throwing it away all for a few pence item

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Ugh - This would be so cool until you realize that you'll end up spending a fortune on carbon filter replacement cartridges!!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Still, I bet criminal organizations will make plastic guns that have a short life span (overheat chamber) to commit robberies/murders/hits. They will still need real bullets because those basically contain gunpowder.

Make your own video game controller. Nice.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is entirely crazy (to some point)....also thinking about that one major protection mechanism today is having someone go through a METAL DETECTOR.

Short: Every terrorist can make a weapon and then even be able to go through security with them easily. This is...really scary.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So now everyone will be out of work, replaced by technology. Soon they will be able to build computerized robots to make programers obsolete. How are they going to sell these things if there is noone to buy them? I suppose this is in preparation of reducing humans from seven billion down to 500 million people. Oh well, that's life.

The only reason anyone needs to work is to pay property taxes.

Everything else can be grown, created, bartered for.

The only thing a man cannot make on his own is government issued currency to pay government mandated taxes.

Instead of crying about jobs we should ask ourselves why we have to have jobs in the first place.

My only job should be working my plot of land and caring for my chickens. Try paying property taxes with a bushel of corn and a few dozen eggs.

Money is a trap and taxation prevents any escape.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
This is entirely crazy (to some point)....also thinking about that one major protection mechanism today is having someone go through a METAL DETECTOR.

Short: Every terrorist can make a weapon and then even be able to go through security with them easily. This is...really scary.

The wholly non-metal gun is an impossibility. Bullets are metal, cases are metal, springs are metal, firing pins are metal, the bolt is metal, etc......

Besides, it's not like "terrorists" couldnt get a real gun through anyway:

Houston businessman Farid Seif says it was a startling discovery. He didn't intend to bring a loaded gun on a flight out of Houston and can't understand how TSA screeners didn't catch it. link

No doubt you've heard by now that a 65-year-old Little Elm woman was arrested at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport this morning for taking a .38-caliber pistol aboard an American Airlines flight. link

CNC tech has been around for nearly half a century and garage workshops all across the country have been producing everything from a hard to find bolt to 50BMG rifles. In fact that's how Barret got his start.
edit on 26-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Very interesting. I'm a bit suspicious of him printing a working gun though, considering the materials and mechanics involved I wouldn't think it possible, maybe it is?

Anyway, even if these printers became common place (which they can't in a long time still-think about the costs involved with even one of these), we will still require the materials to print with, and they will need to be in the correct format, as in, I doubt you can feed it steel nails etc.

But there will definately be pirating of blueprints in the future.

EDIT: Its only a news article on Slashgear with a photo of a standard gun. No pictures of the printer, no technical details, no video... Maybe its a fake article?
edit on 26-7-2012 by salainen because: Read the article, found it likely to be a hoax

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
and next thing that will come is the new 3D all in ones.
scan and print.
that's when it will really take off
no prints needed.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
My laserjet won't do that no matter how many times I've tried...

I WANT ONE!

And then I'm gonna make me a Harley and a boat and a house and a plane...

Nice find. Very cool.

SnF

Peace
Ha ha you sound like a kid at christmas!,the possibilities are endless though can you imagine having one of these printers in your house?with kids around?who knows they may print out the boogyman!...son how many time have I told you to quit printing girlfriends?
edit on 26-7-2012 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by salainen

EDIT: Its only a news article on Slashgear with a photo of a standard gun. No pictures of the printer, no technical details, no video... Maybe its a fake article?
edit on 26-7-2012 by salainen because: Read the article, found it likely to be a hoax

Forum thread of somebody printing upper and lower receivers with pics.

Receiver schematic and magazine print

It's definitely being done.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
And AGAIN i´ll aks:

How MUCH do you/i pay for
rawmaterial????

And i would like to see a private HIGH END 3D scanner!
That you could conect to the printer..

Scan an object in 3d, print it a minute later..
edit on 2012/7/26 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

This is cool. If you can make a wrench, then you can make a gun.

Heck you have right there and near unlimited supply of weapons and ammo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join