It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Makes Guns with a 3D Printer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Man makes guns with a 3D printer

www.slashgear.com

We’ve seen no shortage of 3D-printed masterpieces over the last several months, but this is reportedly the first time that someone has used the technology to create a firearm. It comes from a users on the AR15 message boards, a community for gun fanatics. He used a Stratasys 3D printer to create a .22 pistol. And yes, it actually works; it can shoot bullets just like a normal gun.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is actually pretty cool. The advancements with this technology will open a whole new world. It will destroy manufacturing jobs around the world. China will be hurt.

The fact that this man could make a pretty nice looking working gun is amazing. I cant help think that the military has mobile weapons printer live on the battle field printing out weapons of choice, replacement parts, on the fly,.Not to mention gun manufactures and gun control will go bust.

I guess the real concern and need of control will be over gunpowder.

www.slashgear.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

the future is now...

yeah gun controls going to work...

and now for the ATS angle...

This will be the death nail of 3d printer, Maker bot and others SCARE the crap out of traditional manufactures, MARK my words they will jump on this to kill the tech.
edit on 25-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm waiting for one that can print me out Mila Kunis.

I'm assuming this thing is using metal parts from a 'real' gun... Off to the article!
edit on 25-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
My laserjet won't do that no matter how many times I've tried...

I WANT ONE!

And then I'm gonna make me a Harley and a boat and a house and a plane...

Nice find. Very cool.

SnF

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I can envision the near future having these 3d printers available at a mall or at home. The money will be in the blueprint files. Example, say one needed a part for his car or something else, he could have it printed with a paid licence copy of the blueprint.

Ha, just found this

On Monday, The Pirate Bay announced (thepiratebay.org/blog/203) that it has launched a new category for torrents, 3D printing blue-prints. This is not as ridiculously optimistic as it sounds.
neurobonkers.com...

The future is gonna be pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
So now everyone will be out of work, replaced by technology. Soon they will be able to build computerized robots to make programers obsolete. How are they going to sell these things if there is noone to buy them? I suppose this is in preparation of reducing humans from seven billion down to 500 million people. Oh well, that's life.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Soon we will be able to print ourselves a wife.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So now everyone will be out of work, replaced by technology. Soon they will be able to build computerized robots to make programers obsolete. How are they going to sell these things if there is noone to buy them? I suppose this is in preparation of reducing humans from seven billion down to 500 million people. Oh well, that's life.

Hit the nail on the head. The super elite do not need the common man any longer.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I just watched a video on how these items are made with the 3D printer. You need material to print out your object layer by layer. So I'm assuming the bigger printers that print out more than neti pots or bunny rabbits will cost you over 10K to begin with. Just imagine trying to print out motor vehicle parts such as tires or combustion engines. It would take mounds of material, energy and you'd still have to have the technical-know-how in order to assemble these products. This will not destroy manufacturing at the level that it's at currently, but perhaps in the future this technology will be upgraded somehow.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Triesta
This will not destroy manufacturing at the level that it's at currently, but perhaps in the future this technology will be upgraded somehow.

It surely will and that is the goal. If a man can replicate a gun then the possibilities are endless. Most products produced in japan and china fit in a grocery bag. Eventually it will replicate fibers, clothing but the upside it will give surgeons that ability to replicate a needed body part such printing a skull, bones.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Triesta

Correct, I saw an ad on ebay for the printer that he used to print out the receivers, it was $8,375.00. And although this is the first reported case, I am sure there are some thrifty criminal organizations that have been using 3d printers to print out guns, seeing as the blueprints have been available on multiple websites (according to the article).

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
My laserjet won't do that no matter how many times I've tried...

I WANT ONE!

And then I'm gonna make me a Harley and a boat and a house and a plane...

Nice find. Very cool.

SnF

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
They can be called geek guns

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I heard something about these 3D printers - using JD Cold Weld Plastic - but I dont know if it would be durable enough to handle bullet blast -

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
ther are 3-D printers that can make metal parts, up to and including stainless steel:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

I forsee all homes needed for all people being printed out and you do realize there is both alchemy, combining elements and holography, (there are touchable ones), and all of this is at least 50 years old to be even put out.

We have solved all the world problems and scarsity, yet the world is still in dire straights.

Why is that?

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I want to see video proof of this thing actually firing a .22 round. I mean it's all plastic, right?

Okay reading the original article (here) he only used a 3D printer to print the lower part only, the upper is from an actual gun;

The chamber is not plastic, the guy took the upper part of a preexisting gun and added a 3d printed lower portion of the gun. While impressive, this is not what you are claiming he did.

So the story and headline, is mostly hype and misleading.
edit on 26-7-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Yet another misleading thread title, simply made to attract attention.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

This doesn't mean much in the US, but imagine the countries where gun control was successful and they don't have guns. They will be trying to track the files with the plans for 3d guns. They will have to plant them on the net to see who is printing them out, and still they wont catch the majority. This is the end of gun control world wide.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join