It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
I say leave the politics for the politicians and the money making for businessmen.

If there was no money......there would be no politics in modern America. But that's a whole other topic.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

I say leave the politics for the politicians and the money making for businessmen.

If there was no money......there would be no politics in modern America. But that's a whole other topic.

I dont believe anyone in politics should be making money. It should be illegal to accept donations that can be traced back to corporations.

But yes, thats a different topic.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Actually, no I am not.

Is Boston against business who have been sued for discrimination or not?

They are or they are not.... they cannot pick and choose what kind of discrimination they endorse!

But apparently, christians can. And do.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Well, consider this... Say Boston has high morals against any business who regularly is sued for discrimination...

logical stance, perhaps being sued means you break the law... and no such business that have ever been sued for discrimination are allowed in Boston.

This sounds find to me, I would think.

So why are there two Hooters in Boston? www.yellowpages.com...:restaurants&gclid=CPOgmof_t7ECFSMCQAodQEA AEw#utm_campaign=SEMPS_GGL_Search_acct=Branding_Dynamicads__cat:restaurants&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hooters%20in%20boston

They are sued very regularly for weight discrimination, looks discrimination, and sexual discrimination....
www.wordonemploymentlaw.com...

Or does Boston discriminate against only certain types of companies who have been in the past sued for discrimination?

Then Boston wouldn't have any large corporations residing within it's boundaries if they scrutinized them accordingly. It sounds to me they pick and choose because there are quite a few corps that have been sued. So far no Mayors have prevented them from opening branches within their communities. As the economy tanks farther down the drain we'll see how principled city mayors will be competing for corps to bring jobs and financial stimulation to their communities.
edit on 26-7-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Well, consider this... Say Boston has high morals against any business who regularly is sued for discrimination...

logical stance, perhaps being sued means you break the law... and no such business that have ever been sued for discrimination are allowed in Boston.

This sounds find to me, I would think.

So why are there two Hooters in Boston? www.yellowpages.com...:restaurants&gclid=CPOgmof_t7ECFSMCQAodQEA AEw#utm_campaign=SEMPS_GGL_Search_acct=Branding_Dynamicads__cat:restaurants&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hooters%20in%20boston

They are sued very regularly for weight discrimination, looks discrimination, and sexual discrimination....
www.wordonemploymentlaw.com...

Or does Boston discriminate against only certain types of companies who have been in the past sued for discrimination?

Then Boston wouldn't have any large corporations residing within it's boundaries if they scrutinized them accordingly. It sounds to me they pick and choose because there are quite a few corps that have been sued. So far no Mayors have prevented them from opening branches within their communities. As the economy tanks farther down the drain we'll see how principled city mayors will be competing for corps to bring jobs and financial stimulation to their communities.
edit on 26-7-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

Yeah im sure this is the end of Boston as we know it

*Cue image of a city vaporized after a nuclear bomb all because CFA couldnt trade there*

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm glad some of you Christians can finally feel what it's like to be discriminated against.

Try living with that feeling your entire life. I was kicked out in the middle f a blizzard at 14 for being gay. So yes when a company openly admits that it doesn't approve of my life, they don't get my money.

Any of you been kicked out into a blizzard door being Christian? Didn't think so

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
I'm glad some of you Christians can finally feel what it's like to be discriminated against.

Try living with that feeling your entire life. I was kicked out in the middle f a blizzard at 14 for being gay. So yes when a company openly admits that it doesn't approve of my life, they don't get my money.

Any of you been kicked out into a blizzard door being Christian? Didn't think so

Ever heard of the Pilgrims?

Go back to school kid.
edit on 26-7-2012 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

You could be right. We'll see how it comes out or if it turns into anything more.

I wonder... If a mayor decided that he didn't want a gay bar across the street from a church, I wonder how the responses would differ here...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViktorHaze
So, let me see if I got this straight....
If the head of a corporation that says he is against certain rights being available to a certain sector of society with a history of persecution and discrimination, because his faith (that is a strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence, by definition), says he must, and by proxy his company as well, that is perfectly ok.

Buuut, if the mayor of a major city that has gone to great lengths to prevent further discrimination of this community, calls said corporation and it's sadly misguided leader on their bigotry (you can call it doctrine or scripture, but I have no such illusion), he is somehow stifling their free speech and discriminating against them?

Yes. You have that straight. the all important difference is one is government, and one is not. Unless you would prefer to have Christians or Wiccans or whatever religion running your government and making their religion the sole one - outlawing Atheism, of course, because that would be inimical to them.

Further, his efforts to legally block, what under normal circumstance would be considered an undesirable business (like it or not, civil governments not only have a right, but an obligation to do so, and like it or not, this chicken plucker is a bigot and thus undesirable) is discrimination?

Yes, it is discriminatory, by definition, unless he chooses to block ALL restaurants. It's no different than blocking a business because the CEO expressed a belief in Atheism.

How about the KKK?
Can they just go ahead and set up a lodge beside city hall too?
What if they just practiced their form of faith in the privacy of the lodge?

Yes. Like it or not, ALL are equal under the law in the US. If we are to single out any of your pet hates to persecute, then we should also select a few of mine to persecute as well. I don't like people who drive sports cars. they are arrogant asses. We should prohibit them from driving.

Unless the mayor prohibits other social organizations, however tasteful or distasteful they may be, then the KKK has the same rights. This is why they issue them parade licenses. it is illegal NOT to, unless they block ALL parades.

See how bigotry works? It doesn't just run in one direction.

Would the mayor be justified in preventing that?
Why not, because it's not discriminating unless its a christian getting called on their hypocrisy?

It's not about "Christianity". Islam", Buddhism", Wicca", or "Atheism". It's not about ANY of those religions. It's about equal protection under the law for all of them. Gays want equality under the law, but they are unwilling to extend the same to others? that makes some of us more equal than others.

Did you have your testicles in a twist when that mosque was going to go up by the World Trade Center?
I guess they had every right to be there too, right?
No?

No, I didn't. I don't care what happens in new York. It's not my town, and if it vanished tomorrow, i would not miss it at all. They may do as they please. They do not need my approval, and there is no particular reason they should accept my condemnation.

I'm not kidding either.
I want an honest to your god answer, if you can manage to come down off the cross for a minute...

Nor an I kidding. That is my honest answer. God is irrelevant in politics - He does not play politics, He has other things to attend to.

The cross dig was just excessive, and a fine display of a weak argument.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by ViktorHaze

Gay Marriage

They voted it out here, and I don't even eat at Chik-Fil-A... I can't stand chicken!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
People need to decide if they want Free Speech or not. It either applies to everyone or nobody, not even Progressives.

If government is allowed to pick and choose, that's it for a Free society.

I don't agree with that companies stance, but it's vital they have the Right to it and to conduct business without interference from government.

My God the Left are such control freaks. Their answer to everything is to make sure only they are Free.

That letter is a campaign ad.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ahh, i see that now discrimination has been proven, posters have resorted to playing down the fact that it has indeed happened. Yeah, only 12 times in 24 years, CFA are absolute angels of course! /Casually moving the goal posts.

Go google "lawsuits against starbucks" or another company like McDonalds and see how many lawsuits they have had in those years and you will see that 12 is well below the norm.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

It is illegal for the mayor to prohibit Chick-Fil-A from setting up shop in Boston because the owner expressed his opinion, so if push comes to shove, Chick-Fil-A will win.

Chick-Fil-A (what a stupid name) provides same-sex benefits in the cities that require it.. In other locations, they do not.

So, they are following the law. It remains to be seen if the mayor of Boston will actually follow through on his threats to prevent them from doing business in Boston. If he does so, he will be in trouble.

It's not illegal for anyone to boycott the place or confront the ownership about their positions on gay marriage.
Nor is it illegal for the city of Boston to do a public relations campaign against them or to buy ad time to bring it to the public's attention.

Sorry, I don't have a source. I heard it on TV.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViktorHaze
reply to post by Tramadolnights

Well it is refreshing to see someone honest about their bigotry.
I'm not even gay, but you offend me as a human.
But, you still get to say it, as you can say whatever you want, and I'm glad to see you are happy to exercise that right.
Now, if only people such as yourself and Mr. Chicken Filly, and everyone else who thinks it's ok to stick their nose in anybody's business that doesn't fit their narrow point of view would just learn to mind their own, the world would be a fine place in deed.
That's what it really boils down to.
Does Gay marriage somehow affect you in a practical way?
Unlikely.
So why would you care.
Mind your own freaking business.
It's freedom of speech and personal opinion to say things like "i don't support those sexual freaks", and that's just ducky. Rude and offensive, but so are a lot of things.
When you state it as company policy (you really think they would hire a gay person if they knew they were married to another gay person?...ok, yeah,,,sure.), then that's what is at issue, and really none of that religious freak's (see, I get freedom too...Yayyy!) business.

edit on 26-7-2012 by ViktorHaze because: (no reason given)

How is his deciding for himself where HE wants to buy his dinner NOT "minding his own business"?

How is The CEO of this company simply having an opinion on an issue "minding someone else's business"?

Since you also seem to have an opinion, a fairly strong one, and you accuse others who have opinions of "interference", are you willing to admit that you also are minding the business of gays?

If so, who are you to tell someone else to "mind their own business", when you clearly are unwilling to do the same?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If Boston isn't on the side of Chick-Fil-A, *let* them open a store, pay $X for the plot/building and setting up, and give X unemployed people a wage for the time it takes for the store to make a loss and prove to the company that they rolled into the wrong town.... Moral AND profitable, am I right or wrong?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Major kudos to him, the city and the state. MA has some forward thinkers and I'm glad they aren't going to put up with companies that voice thier biggoted opinions. Suck it Chick Fil A.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tramadolnights
That's alright, because the majority of people support Chick-Fill-A and would welcome them into their towns. Hell, I might write them and invite them to open a branch in London. I'd send lots of my money their way. Good on them for refusing to be bullied by the sexual freaks.

And i would happily write them a letter urging them to stay the hell out of this country, we have enough problems and we don't want to add bigotry to them.

You don't already have any bigotry in the UK? I've heard otherwise.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Chik-a-fil exercised it's freedom of speech and have taken a vocal stance against equal rights for gays. Mayor Menino exercised his freedom of speech by stating that Boston (proudly) is a city that supports Gay marriage and equal rights for all... why would they want to business in a city that supports something they oppose. He probably saved them the cost of starting up a failure. We Bostonians don't take kindly to such utter nonsense as denying gay people the right to marry their partners. I'm not a fan of Menino but I applaud him for this.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Shows just how disgusting the Mayor of Boston is. Same sex marriage is disgusting and filthy. It is unclean and unatural and how dare the Mayor look down on a man who disagrees with unatural acts. It is my opinion i will have nothing to do with same sex marriage or the people involved it. So should the opinion of the Mayor of Boston show the up most respect to some one who disagrees with same sex marriage.

Being gay is nothing to be proud of.

Also , dont sit there and blame the bible. This is my opinion. Same sex marriage is disgusting and filthy and benefits man kind in no way.

Would i say that to a gay person's face (that bluntly)? No , however , i wouldnt hesitate to tell them i do not agree with what they are doing and i most likely wouldnt put myself in a situation to be around gays.

----

The Mayor of Boston is discriminating agaisnt people with differing opinions.
edit on 26-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Maybe Chik Fil A can open a new store the next county over and tell Mr Boston where to go....after all Boston doesn't need the business revenue stream does it? Way to let a couple muppets run the world....

Even Colmes agrees it's a stupid move on the Mayor's part.
edit on 26-7-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join