It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by faint1993

I don't think the government is "stepping in". The mayor is just voicing his opinion. Using his right to free speech.

If that was the case then he shouldn't have used his official title as Mayor of Boston.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

Nope, he just stated Chik fil A cannot open any business in his town....

thats railroading someone for holding a belief and having a political stance

it is unconstitutional

They are Discriminating openly against christians for their faith
edit on 25-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

Yep Boston sure did. He also cut off revenue for the city with that stand, a personal stand at that. How's Boston's economy? Chik Fil would've brought jobs (construction and store workers) not to mention tax dollars to the city as well as monetary support to other businesses in the area. I wonder do the citizens think it was a good idea for the city official to turn away a source of money in a crumbling economy to take a ideology stand?
edit on 26-7-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

Some things are more important than money. Equal rights for all and eliminating discrimination should be held above monetary gains.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Originally posted by resoe26

-Thats sad. But one incident doesn't apply for all Christians.

Doesnt apply for all muslims either, agreed.

-Touche

In Iraq and Afghanistan. How bout you?

Little old england, not fighting a war i dont support.

-Touche. Was some.... how do you say... BULLOCKS?

-If you read the part closely, "all cocky in my FACE".
We are through internet, If we were standing face to face.. things would be different.

Out in the street is enough to be in my face imo. Is that fighting talk? I got Ninja skills yano?

-
Me too

-Prove God is not real and make your case bold. (ya can't)
If you could, NOBODY would believe in God if the evidence was there.

I cant prove their is no god and you cant prove their is so we are stuck. Though i believe science holds the answer.

-I can dig that response

-No harm, just telling all you pro homosexuals out there to relax.

Thats funny considering this thread is full of religious people who cant understand why this company is getting time on the naughty step from boston.

-Ya I hear ya. I understand the frustration. But ya know, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

-You may need permission soon enough!!

Yeah, if they make it illegal again.

-
Touche

-Touche. I like how you repeat damn near everything I say.

So many replied to this thread, im getting lazy haha

-Word.
ya know what, your not so bad after all.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

it is unconstitutional

Yep Boston sure did. He also cut off revenue for the city with that stand, a personal stand at that. How's Boston's economy? Chik Fil would've brought jobs (construction and store workers) not to mention tax dollars to the city as well as monetary support to other businesses in the area. I wonder do the citizens think it was a good idea for the city official to turn away a source of money in a crumbling economy to take a ideology stand?

Would sell your personal beliefs for these small opportunities so easily? This mayor has principles and if the people dont like what he's standing for then guess who isnt going to get re-elected?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

And what determines that?

The constitution... as I stated, if it is discrimination you all would have it in the Supreme Court changing the laws, and not the voting public....

You are being discriminated against concerning your constitutional rights? Take it where it should go for legal releif

period...

But regardless, you cannot dictate to others how to think, what to believe, or how to vote. To each his own remember?
edit on 26-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Gosh, very rarely is a common ground reached on ATS gotta respect you for that

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

But regardless, you cannot dictate to others how to think, what to believe, or how to vote. To each his own remember?

Not when it comes to a business supporting discrimination. Discrimination should not be accepted by this society. There are grey areas in life, but this is not one of them.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It actually sounds like keeping Chick-Fil-A out of Boston is well within the mayor's responsibilities and powers.

Mayor's Duties

The mayor:
F. Shall ensure that all the laws and ordinances and resolutions are faithfully executed and observed;

Mayor of Boston's Job Description

6. As a member of Council, to participate in making decisions on issues that will
have long-term consequences on the municipality, in context with the by-laws,
policies and strategic plans established by Council.
7. To represent the views of constituents as closely as possible when dealing
with issues that come before Council.
8. To participate in establishing policies and ensure that such policies are
implemented and observed in an objective and consistent manner.

We must remember that Boston is very progressive and takes great pride in its equal treatment and protection of ALL citizens. I know it's not a common thing these days, but 6 states and Washington DC are progressive enough to do so. If the Mayor feels that this business is a threat to the laws, policies and ordinances of Boston, and can prove his case, I don't think he's doing a thing wrong, but instead, is protecting his constituents.

edit on 7/26/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

it is unconstitutional

Some things are more important than money. Equal rights for all and eliminating discrimination should be held above monetary gains.

Usually I agree with "some things are more important than money" stance, but not this time. This whole stink is about personal opinions. Personal opinions shouldn't be ruling the Mayor's office, so making a decision to turn away revenue for the city because someone didn't share his feelings on a subject was a bad call. Did Chik Fil violate a law? No, and if they had the Mayor could say officially they didn't want any law breakers operating within their community. If Boston's like most major American cities there are a lot of law breakers operating with the help of the Mayor. The CEO can feel anyway he or she want just as long as their personal feelings don't deny another their "Civil Rights". In this instance personal feelings are not more important than money.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Your welcome BH. I always respect you and your views, even if we don't see eye to eye all the time. You are a voice of reason is this hurricane of debates that is ATS. I'm done sucking up now.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

That business has never once discriminated against anyone, they hire people from all races religions and creeds, sexual orientation and so forth...

they have never once been charged with discrimination

and until the Supreme Court determines that supporting a legal definition for marriage to be a religious institution between a man and a woman is discrimination, then supporting such a marriage definition is NOT discrimination.... nor can it be called such in this country until it is in fact declared unconstitutional to support such a definition.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

it is unconstitutional

Would sell your personal beliefs for these small opportunities so easily? This mayor has principles and if the people dont like what he's standing for then guess who isnt going to get re-elected?

As a Mayor his personal beliefs are suppose to be on the backburner. There's nothing wrong with principles but you must keep your personal principles in check in a public office, in your own business you can be as principled as one can stand to be. Yes I do agree at election time this issue will be a thorn in his side or a winning point.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Ah yes, remind me how tolerant and accepting Liberals are.

If you don't believe exactly what they do, then GTFO. No diversity of opinions.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Again, I'd like you to remind me how your Constitutional Rights are being some how removed by legalizing gay marriage.

You didn't answer on the last page, I figured you'd missed the post.

Care to opine?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Okay so to all the people proud of this Mayor...

You understand it is a government official directly interfering with freedom of speech?

Punishing for their free speech Right?

You guys get that part of this right?

Chic-fil-A supports hate groups by donating money to them. Nearly 2 million to anti gay hate groups.

If a business supported the KKK directly with money. Would you want that business in your city?
You'd have something to say about that no?

And anyways cities normally limit where businesses can go. Strip clubs and bars are noticeable exceptions.
Of course Chic-fil-A is not comparable to a strip club or bar. However it's subject to a cities rules and regulations.
And if a city declares that hate speech is not allowed. Then they have to comply or get out.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I made a topic asking to discuss those issues concerning legality etc and it was moved to relationships forums.

Since the thread I made is not concerning relationships of other people, but political stances and legailty and reasoning for all.... I asked it to be closed and will not speak on the issue,

I do not want anyones personal relationships discussed under my name. That is my stance, in this topic, it is off topic as this is about a governments right to deny a business the ability to do business unheeded by government officials based on personal opinions and religious beliefs.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

That business has never once discriminated against anyone, they hire people from all races religions and creeds, sexual orientation and so forth...

they have never once been charged with discrimination

They are supporting discrimination. A business that supports discrimination should not be allowed to operate in the United States.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Has Chick-Fil-A ever discriminated against a customer or employee on any basis that warrants this kind of treatment? I'm sure other business in Boston have far worse records than Chick-Fil-A, yet I don't see the Mayor going after them. Everybody talks about them be discriminatory, when it looks like all they do is support outside causes that they deem worthwhile. If that's the standard we are going to set..... it's a slippery slope.

Prove to me with actual legal cases that they have lost that they discriminate against homosexuals, then we can talk. Until then you are beating them up for beliefs.Like I said, slippery slope. They may not agree with being homosexual, that doesn't mean they actually discriminate against them.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Since when does Chick fil A discriminate or do any illegal activity?

Until a group is deemed illegal to donate money to, then the business owners have a right to do whatever they want under the law with their own money.

It is your right as a consumer to decide if you want any portion of your money to go to said groups.... if you do not like where money is being donated, then you do not do business with them.

Very simple concept, its called responsible consumerism.

I have never once in my life tasted a starbucks coffee.... I do not want my money to go where I do not agree with.

No one is forcing you to eat a chicken sandwich from that restraunt.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

As a Mayor his personal beliefs are suppose to be on the backburner. There's nothing wrong with principles but you must keep your personal principles in check in a public office, in your own business you can be as principled as one can stand to be. Yes I do agree at election time this issue will be a thorn in his side or a winning point.

Perhaps this Mayor should use the example the CEO of Chic-fil-a set when he put his personal beliefs on the backburner

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join