It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
yea...

Way for a government employee to step on free speech.

Not at all. Believe it or not, the Mayor of Boston was exercising HIS right to free speech as well. What we are seeing is an open use of our right to free speech, by people who stand on opposite sides of the fence.

Having a different opinion, is not stepping on anyone's rights. The mayor has every right to feel as he does and the COO of Chick-Fil-A does as well.

Be realistic. Two people using free speech does not equate to anything being stepped on. It equates to two people ENFORCING their rights.

Where do I stand? Frankly, I beliee in EQUAL rights for all and I believe we wont have equal rights until gay people are allowed the same rights as everyone else.

You know, I was sitting in a hospital waiting room just the other day. There was a gay woman who had to sit out there and could not see her sick girlfriend...Because legally they were not family... I think that sucks.

Don't get me started on insurance benefits either, that gay people are being denied because of their sexual orientation.

You want to talk about rights being stepped on?

The right being stepped on in this country, has nothing to do with free speech and everything to do with EQUAL rights for all. A whole of people are being discriminated against in this country and this is a disgrace.

No one is saying that they can't open a chain in Boston...It is being said by the mayor, using HIS free speech, that he does not welcome such a chain.... And frankly, I agree with his reasoning.

edit on 26-7-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I wonder... If a mayor decided that he didn't want a gay bar across the street from a church, I wonder how the responses would differ here...

Well, you know they would. Same as if it was a Mosque. People so often cherry pick who has rights and who doesn't in this country.

Kosmic.... don't paint with the broad brush...... it leads to bad places you don't want to be. The core idea is the same...both the gay bar and the Mosque have rights to exist as long as they aren't violating any laws. The same applies for any business, such as a Chick-Fil-A. Why couldn't a Mosque be right next to other religious buildings? You are doing exactly what you accuse others of when you group people together.
edit on 26-7-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Maybe the local franchisee hasn't, but the corporate office of Chick-Fil-A has donated lots and lots of money to anti-gay groups that are working very hard to keep gays from having equal rights. It's more than just a personal belief - it IS action against a group.

Again, is that illegal to do? I am pro-Life. Can I have my company donate money to causes I deem worthy, or is that not allowed?

I'm sure that Chick-Fil-A has very good lawyers to keep everything legal. I'm also sure the mayor of Boston has some pretty good lawyers too, so I suspect he won't do anything outside of the law. We'll just have to see what happens...

So......are you saying that the owners of Chick-Fil-A are within their rights to donate money to groups they choose to? Then what is the problem? You don't have to support Chick-Fil-A. I honestly don't think Boston can deny them the ability to open a store there...... they haven't done anything wrong to merit such an exclusionary ban. Whoppi Goldberg says it pretty well:

Whoopi Goldberg said she wasn't surprised that people opposed Chick-Fil-A's expansion, but also defended the chain's right to its stance. "We're in America where everyone has the right to say 'I don't believe this,'" she said. "You don't like what they're doing, don't go. But do not step on their right to have an opinion. This is still America."
Gotta say that's a pretty good motto to live by.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Hello Truth! How are you doing? I have not seen you in a minute so I do hope you and those you love are well!

Anyway, we have been discussing this because the Mayor spoke not as a human being, an individual citizen, but he used his position of power as Mayor, a government official, and made threats about denying the rights of a business for something they said....

In a Government position, the city cannot discriminate against someone, this would be unconstitutional...

Nice seeing you again!

Z

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Not at all. Believe it or not, the Mayor of Boston was exercising HIS right to free speech as well. What we are seeing is an open use of our right to free speech, by people who stand on opposite sides of the fence.

He isn't using HIS free speech when he uses the office of the Mayor to write the letter and then implies that they will have a hard time getting city licenses. He is using the Office, not his free speech. That's what I have a problem with. He can spout off all he wants as a citizen. There is no law that I am aware of that would ban a Chick-Fil-A in Boston. The company doesn't discriminate against employees or customers and follows all state and local laws in regards to same sex marriages at least according to what BH said. What exactly are they being accused of? That they donate to groups they legally can donate to?

Lets put it this way, lets say for example Disney wants to open up a Park in an area that has a gay marriage ban, should Disney's stance on gay marriage allow the city to deny them the right to open up said park, as long as all other legalities were followed?

.....No one is saying that they can't open a chain in Boston...It is being said by the mayor, using HIS free speech, that he does not welcome such a chain.... And frankly, I agree with his reasoning.

When the mayor implies that they might not get a city license, then yes, he is saying they can't open in Boston. I'm pretty sure the City Council should be the ones that really should be speaking for the citizens of Boston in regards to regulations, licenses ect.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Okay so to all the people proud of this Mayor...

You understand it is a government official directly interfering with freedom of speech?

Punishing for their free speech Right?

You guys get that part of this right?

Expressing your opinions with your freedom of speech, whether a government official or not, against an opposing expression using their freedom of speech to express your opposition against a person or people's rights for same sex marriage being discriminated against is entirely appropriate and deserves accommodation. He isn't "punishing" their right for freedom of speech. He is expressing his stance for someone else's freedom and how he doesn't appreciate discrimination against a certain group or faction of society. Being a punishment is subjective, irrelevant, and plays no part in the political role of this letter. The stance against discrimination of other's rights and freedoms however is constitutionally relevant and necessary, for not only the same sex community, but to all American citizens who hold true to the constitution and the fair treatment of their freedoms.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I don't say these groups are my cup of tea, but they hardly advocate violence towards homosexuals. Inflammatory words, that's for sure, but violent actions.....no. Last I heard Exodus International, not that I researched them much, but they have distanced themselves from "curing" gay people. Exodus, as far as I know doesn't kidnap gays to "convert" them nor for people against their will. Again, not the kinds of groups I would give money to but not violent groups either. If they were, there would be Federal action coming down on them.

I'm sure these groups and others don't particularly like homosexuality, but they don't advocate violence towards them. You can oppose something with words (even not very nice words) and ideas last time I checked with our Founding documents.

I don't know if they advocate violence either.
But the article there says they are a hate group.
Need to do some more research to make sure.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

And within his/her own memo/lette he/she/they is/are committing discrimination

kettle meet pot

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

Hello Truth! How are you doing? I have not seen you in a minute so I do hope you and those you love are well!

Anyway, we have been discussing this because the Mayor spoke not as a human being, an individual citizen, but he used his position of power as Mayor, a government official, and made threats about denying the rights of a business for something they said....

In a Government position, the city cannot discriminate against someone, this would be unconstitutional...

Nice seeing you again!

Z

No matter where he spoke from, he will still be the mayor. Should he have used "company" letterhead? Probably not. Should he be threatening that he will do everything he can to stop it? Probably not..and he probably wouldn't succeed if he tried. But, it is his right to say it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by yadda333

Originally posted by nenothtu

Please stop yelling about free speech. Free speech does not entitle you to discriminate against an entire class of people.

Sometimes government (which is the people) must stand up and say enough is enough. This society should not accept the outright discrimination of homosexuals, period.

Discrimination is an ACTION - like what the mayor has stated he will do to Chick Fil A. Freedom of speech involves expression of OPINION - without fear of discriminatory reprisals.

See the difference there? I bet you don't.

Err...maybe you should read all of my posts in this thread.

I did.

I see that you oppose free speech. and support discrimination, as long as it's a discrimination that you support - in your world, that discrimination is "good", and should be forced by government, and the other sort is "bad" and should be eliminated, again by government. Of course, YOU are the arbiter of what is "good" discrimination, and what is "bad" discrimination, and the rest of us should just march to your drum, and let the government ride roughshod over whomever you deem to be "bad".

I think that about sums it up. What point were you trying to make by asking me to read your posts in their entirety? That "good" discrimination is "good", because you say it is?

Like I've already said, there are grey areas in life but this is not one of them. Homosexual couples being denied the same rights as heterosexual couples is discrimination--this is wrong.

I've also already said that the oppressed must be allowed to show the oppressors what it's like to be oppressed. You want to deny rights to certain groups of human. That's fine--it will end soon enough because this is a civil rights issue and will be rectified.
edit on 7/26/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm glad the mayor told him off it is 2012 gay people are human beings like the rest of us and should be able to marry who they want without discrimination.

The mayor voiced his opinion just as chikafil did, not harm done. Maybe they should stick to frying chicken, just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

And within his/her own memo/lette he/she/they is/are committing discrimination

kettle meet pot

Oppressors must be shown oppression to understand. They must see what it's like to not have equal rights, then maybe they will make a change.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Nice seeing you again!

Z

No matter where he spoke from, he will still be the mayor. Should he have used "company" letterhead? Probably not. Should he be threatening that he will do everything he can to stop it? Probably not..and he probably wouldn't succeed if he tried. But, it is his right to say it.

Just playing Devil's advocate here but would it be any different if the Mayor had used his official letterhead to say something along the lines of, "I concur with Chic-fil-a and any business opening here that supports gay marriage should strongly reconsider."? Would that be his right as a private citizen or would it be an abuse of his power as Mayor to use official government letterhead to express his opinion? Think real hard about that.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hello to everyone...

It is time for a commercial break to remind everyone to breathe in and out very deeply, very slowly.... just relax....

no pressure... no nothing...

And here is a nice calming musical interlude... to go with all the breathing

edit on 26-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabalis

Originally posted by superman2012

Nice seeing you again!

Z

Just playing Devil's advocate here but would it be any different if the Mayor had used his official letterhead to say something along the lines of, "I concur with Chic-fil-a and any business opening here that supports gay marriage should strongly reconsider."? Would that be his right as a private citizen or would it be an abuse of his power as Mayor to use official government letterhead to express his opinion? Think real hard about that.

It wouldn't in my mind. All the "mayor business" aside, (as I was trying to say) it is his right to say his opinion. Better men and women have died so that he can state his opinion. I'm sure some were gay and some were straight.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Like I've already said, there are grey areas in life but this is not one of them. Homosexual couples being denied the same rights as heterosexual couples is discrimination--this is wrong.

I've also already said that the oppressed must be allowed to show the oppressors what it's like to be oppressed. You want to deny rights to certain groups of human. That's fine--it will end soon enough because this is a civil rights issue and will be rectified.

I live in NC, where gay marriage was recently banned. Homosexual couples have precisely the same rights as I have in MY relationship. I'm not seeing the problem. When they beg state recognition, the also invite state censure and regulation. You cannot have one without the other. If you give the State rights in your bedroom, then they will exercise those rights.

I am not "married" according to the State, because I will never ask their permission to be with whom I will, but have ALL of the same rights as a married couple, other than tax breaks, which mean nothing to me. I don't enter relationships for the money. There is a name for that sort of activity.

I can name anyone I wish as power of attorney, no one prevents me from hospital visits, I can name anyone I wish as beneficiary on a life insurance policy. I don't need State permission for any of that.

I am not oppressing anyone, nor do I have any desire to oppress anyone. By the same token, they WILL NOT oppress me - they will not be made to be "more equal" than I am.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I don't know if they advocate violence either.
But the article there says they are a hate group.
Need to do some more research to make sure.

The SPLC says they are a hate group, that is where everyone references the claim, but even reading from their website, it doesn't document violent acts by those groups. They say many inflammatory things, but those are just words, which are protected under our Constitution. You and I may disagree with what they say, that doesn't give us the right to silence them. The Supreme Court even had to side with the Westboro Baptist Church 8-1 in a recent case, not because they agreed with what the church was saying or doing, but that it had the right to do and say those things In their ruling the SCOTUS said we must protect "even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate."

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

True!

except was gay marriage banned there or made legal? I thought it was legal there? Or am I confused?

And I do not think anyone would want to deny you your rights.... they know about the lawn

I made it pink floyd... it was in the 70's rock category...

edit on 26-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It sounds like some people are saying that government shouldn't have the right to free speech?

/troll

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
YES!!!!! SANITY PREVAILS!!!!

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino has stepped back from his threat to block Chick-Fil-A from opening a new store in the city.

His announcement comes a day after Antoine Dodson shared his definitive opinion about the controversy via YouTube.

According to the Boston Herald, Menino said, “I can’t do that. That would be interference to his rights to go there,” referring to company president Dan Cathy, who drew the mayor’s wrath by going public with his views against same-sex marriage.

The mayor added: “I make mistakes all the time. That’s a Menino-ism.”

dailycaller.com...

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join