It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victim from Colorado Shootings could face medical bill in excess of $2 million... Fair or unfair?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Talk about some bad luck.... Caleb Medley, was one of the movie patrons who found himself in a theater with a crazed lunatic with a gun (James Holmes). Unfortunately, for him he was struck with a bullet in the eye and is currently in an induced coma. The family reported that he doesnt have medical insurance and the bills could be in excess of $2 million dollars for him... This story is very unfortunate, but I ask, what is there that can be done? Well it looks like some of his friends set up a website that has already raised $70k. I doubt that they will raise the $2 million to cover all his bills...

Anyways, I was wondering... In tragic situations like the one that happened in Aurora, CO, should victims, like Caleb Medley, be held responsible to pay these huge bills? Even if he had insurance there is probably a chance he would have had to pay something, but I tend to feel that anyone who gets put through events like that shouldnt have to foot the bill.. Is there any realistic scenario out there that you can think of where a, Caleb Medley, wouldnt have to pay a bill like this?

Is this situation his fault because he doesnt have medical insurance? Its such a tough topic because so many live their lives without that safety net and before you know it, tragedies like this one happen...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Mods- I ran a search and didnt find anything about this story, if someone already posted it feel free to trash it...
edit on 24-7-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry,

When ever their is evil good will rise to meet it.

Watch Donations will take care of this, from around the world.

Its the one bright point in these tragedies the rush to help after.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There are plenty of people willing to give at a time like this. A perfect example is the hundreds of thousands of dollars given to that bus driver that was caught on tape being abused by children.

Despite what some would have you believe, there is no need for government to take money from people at gun point in order to help others.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Just my opinion but maybe some of the people working on him could donate THEIR time to his cause instead of people that can't afford it. Jut a nice gesture is all.

I know that they aren't required to but they are people too. and they are in a better situation financially and with skill sets we don't have. A little time from each of the doctors, nurses, admin etc could go a long way to reducing the 2 mil and the site from his friends might make up the difference. That way, it's not on the pocket books of those that can probably least afford it.

Either that or Mitt could cough up a few dollars...
Right.

Peace

link   
hopefully the poor guy won't have to worry about medical bills, and some generous citizen(s) or trust will help out.

link   
reply to post by jhn7537

How is it either fair or unfair? I had a million dollars in medical bills after an accident that left me severely burned. I had a million dollars in medical bills when my baby was born 3 months premature and needed a heart surgery and extended NICU stay. What is fair or unfair about life?

The question of fairness is ridiculous. Its not fair that I only grew to 5'10" and others get to be over 6'.

If your question is about the Healthcare system in general, then the answer is that system is completely broken.
edit on 24-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by jhn7537

How is it either fair or unfair? I had a million dollars in medical bills after an accident that left me severely burned. I had a million dollars in medical bills when my baby was born 3 months premature and needed a heart surgery and extended NICU stay. What is fair or unfair about life?

The question of fairness is ridiculous. Its not fair that I only grew to 5'10" and others get to be over 6'.

If your question is about the Healthcare system in general, then the question is that it is completely broken.

I understand your stance... And the way I look at it is that person in the story, Caleb, didnt have medical and that's his fault (to a certain degree), but being in the wrong place at the wrong time isnt... So I'm not sure if the bill he gets is fair or unfair, if anything, it might just be a run of sh*t luck...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
hopefully the poor guy won't have to worry about medical bills, and some generous citizen(s) or trust will help out.

Well so far $70k has been raised, but that is a far way away from the expected $2 million...

I cant even imagine what the family must be going through, zero insurance, son/husband/brother/friend in a come because he was shot in the eye... I'm hoping that the medical bills are the furthest things from their minds at a time like this, but ultimately, they will be brought up and tough decisions will have to be made (if the $2 million isnt raised)...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well it's the system you all defend, so no donations from me I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Just my opinion but maybe some of the people working on him could donate THEIR time to his cause instead of people that can't afford it. Jut a nice gesture is all.

I know that they aren't required to but they are people too. and they are in a better situation financially and with skill sets we don't have. A little time from each of the doctors, nurses, admin etc could go a long way to reducing the 2 mil and the site from his friends might make up the difference. That way, it's not on the pocket books of those that can probably least afford it.

Either that or Mitt could cough up a few dollars...
Right.

Peace

That would be a VERY generous gesture.. I wonder how often that happnes in the medical world??

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Wait for all the right-wingers to come in screaming about how they shouldn't have to contribute to care for their fellow Americans.

I fully expect to see some screaming about how he's in the wrong for not having insurance, and how no other American should be donating any money for him.

Wait, does that sound too harsh? Just look at all the crazy Americans ranting about their taxes going to pay for the care of others and how THEY shouldn't have to pay anything to help anyone but themselves... you'll see what I mean.

I agree that he probably has nothing to worry about. There will be millions of people all contributing to his fund from all over the world when it starts to be picked up by the media properly. If only half of all Americans just donated $1 all the medical bills of all the victims would be paid off with money to spare for a memorial.

The question is, how many Americans give a damn about their fellow citizens to hand over a $?

Oh, and I would be saying the same thing about any other nationality too, it's just that we get a lot of radical right-wing Americans on here screaming about their precious money and how they shouldn't have to support others. It makes me angry.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tramadolnights

A fan of synthetic opioids, eh?

It sounds like you're willing to vote to force others to give, but are apparently unwilling to do so yourself. Typical.

You don't need a government decree to help others.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xrevxoltx

It sounds like you're willing to vote to force others to give, but are apparently unwilling to do so yourself. Typical.

There isn't a government decree, and Americans are seemingly NOT helping.

Seriously, I don't mean to brag or nothing, but if this were the UK that bill would be paid off through donations by now. Yet in America, with a massive population like that, it's still at less than 100k.

It seems American's DO need a government decree to give, because plenty seemingly don't give a rats ass!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xrevxoltx

i can hear it now from the religious right wing "if he would have prayed more this wouldnt have happend to him"

Christians would rather he just die to save everyone money.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Typical of what exactly?

You could have a fair system like most of the world, maybe this fellow might be the wake up call you need.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
In Australia there is a victims of crime fund that victims can apply to for restitution managed by the government. This can be paid where the perpetrator of the the crime cannot giving the person immediate relief for bills. It is funded in part I think by revenue from fines and other such correctional mandated revenue raising. Oh we also get universal health care which is paid through tax so the bill would have not gone to him here. At least most of it. Anyways Our cousins across the pond are still struggling with the idea that universal healthcare is a good thing so here is the result.
Also it might be cheaper for him to immigrate to Australia/Cuba/Canada become a citizen and get free health care than fit the outrageous bill of 2million.
edit on 24-7-2012 by Shirak because: add more.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

There isn't a government decree, and Americans are seemingly NOT helping.

Seriously, I don't mean to brag or nothing, but if this were the UK that bill would be paid off through donations by now. Yet in America, with a massive population like that, it's still at less than 100k.

It seems American's DO need a government decree to give, because plenty seemingly don't give a rats ass!

No, you're wrong. Plenty of people give, despite their tax burden. Those calling for universal healthcare tend to give the least.

When we stop providing for every person who enters our country and gives birth to multiple children, we'll be able to take care of ourselves.

Those of you so willing to give away other peoples' money should first write a check to whichever cause you're demanding others pay for.

The hospital surely accepts donations and the US treasury absolutely does.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

There would be no need for donations, because we would give that man whatever treatment he needed for as long as he needed. In our country, we put the lives of people above lining the pockets of private companies and businesses, whoever that person is.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Typical of what exactly?

You could have a fair system like most of the world, maybe this fellow might be the wake up call you need.

Fair? Are you entitled to the fruits of another person's hard work simply because you're born? No, you don't know what fair is. Fair is leaving others alone and being responsible for yourself. If you cannot provide for yourself, there is charity, and there are plenty of people who are willing to give.

What you want is money taken by threat of death or imprisonment. And those of us who work for a living will never stand for it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xrevxoltx

Perhaps you should look at countries where universal healthcare is instituted. Sure someone not paying a lot of tax gets the same benefits however each person or child gets treated. As a bonus for those paying more they have the option to pay a little extra for private meaning shorter waiting lists and get a tax rebate which works.
I pay tax on my income and have never had a problem with some of it going to those less fortunate. Perhaps its a culture thing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join