It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colonization vs. Entitlement

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If where were to be colonised it would not be outragous to think that we would be enslaved. As the local popules we would out number them drastically. Therefor they whould have to have far superior tech. and id like to think that we would one way or another be able to aquire some of it and fight back!!!

''WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY IN TO THE NIGHT''

Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

As far as the history of mankind and where we came from, all theories are possible imo. We also may never know our true meaning

Second point, I see no over-whelming evidence that we are being made "better", in fact quite the opposite, whilst some people may be evolving into more intelligent beings, the majority, sadly, are not

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by frazzle

They do not. Like th elite of our world, they do not have to convince us of a damn thing. They are in the position of power, and we are the "have nots". This is NOT optional, just like our current society.

IMO this is the cycle of karma that humanity has oppressed itself under. it will continue indefinitely until the cycle of conquest and domination is broken, and compassion for all living things is embraced in the hearts of humanity.

That is the only way forward; the only way to "win". Either we all win, or we all lose; there will be no mix of winners and losers in this game.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Examining statistics shows human improvment in almost everything physical or mental.

Standards for education and athletics are going up. More drastically in the last 50 years than in the previous hundreds of years. I'm not trying to be mean, but what you said really isn't quantifiable, by the numbers.

Perhaps our ever incrasing standards are making us view the world with a pessimistic outlook?
edit on 23-7-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KtruthD

Are you sure about that?

The stereotypical size of the most common alien, the grays, is indication of a very large home planet according to some. Smaller body size being necessary to live on a large planet with heavier gravity than ours. You might speculate that alien grays could be capable of extrodinary physical feats on our planet.

A larger planet meaning larger numbers, and physical feats would mean obvious superiority. Combine that with the increased technology, and you have a very much superior fighting force.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

reply to post by frazzle

They do not. Like th elite of our world, they do not have to convince us of a damn thing. They are in the position of power, and we are the "have nots". This is NOT optional, just like our current society.

Maybe they don't have to convince you of anything other than to plant and grow the idea that they've convinced everyone else, which makes you powerless and isolated from your "peers". Whenever you need more convincing, they use the media, which they control, and repeat, repeat, repeat the mantra of your powerlessness and futility until its drilled into your head that they are, in fact superior to you.

It works like a charm.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

We would blow the planet up if we were invaded by unfreindly civilisation

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

This thread seems more suited to the grey area imo. So much fantasy and speculation.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

If I remember the grey area description correctly, that's a place for personal stories?

I'm not sure it fits there. It's more of a debate than a story. What do you think? What would you do, if an alien species were to treat the entire human species as we have long treated ourselves?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

Watch the pronouns! They haven't convinced me of squat.

I agree. In this scenario though, we're not worth convincing. Anyone that doesn't comply will die.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i know that if another species imposes this on us we would resist. we would fight them until we die or they go away.

We'll cave like a house of cards.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Do you feel entitled to the earth? I realize that ATS is largely against any form of entitlement, but what if we all were told that we were not entitled to our own planet? How would you feel about that?.

Are you aware of Post-colonial studies? It's basically a branch of literary studies that look at works produced by colonized peoples. So, e.g. what do the children of India think about the British colonizers? Or consider the movie Apocalypse Now! and the book it was made on (The Heart of Darkness), where the conflict between colonizer and colonized is delved into, in that case from the position of the colonizer.

Here's a 'reader', check the write-up, it even makes a not so sly hint at alien invasion (The Empire Writes Back: Theory and Practice in Post-Colonial Literatures)!:
"The experience of colonization and the challenges of a post-colonial world have produced an explosion of new writing in English. This diverse and powerful body of literature has established a specific practice of post-colonial writing in cultures as various as India, Australia, the West Indies and Canada, and has challenged both the traditional canon and dominant ideas of literature and culture. "
books.google.dk...

I think the topic is great, but very big, so I have a hard time giving my own opinion, briefly. But I'll say one thing: Many conflicts in the world today could have been avoided if more people at power had asked themselves that very question: How would you feel about it?

Btw., I find it most likely that relatively very advanced civilizations would be 'peaceful', in our sense of the word, that is, if 'advanced' also applies to psychologically and philosophically so. I cannot say that advanced technology within a brutal society is not a possibility, it's just not most likely. It would take an all out 'dictatorship', in our sense of the word, to control society enough to create highly advanced technology - because it takes logistic stability! I guess

edit on 23-7-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

edit on 23-7-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

what are you talking about? that's how it is now and some people still suffer more than others. Maybe if it was that way across the board with every human being it would be an issue (who would you argue with if we were in that situation anyway?), but as it stands now the majority of people get a bare minimum or less in life. I really hope they (aliens as a whole) are benevolent. They already seem to be so, otherwise why the charade? Why not just come out and slaughter us? Why are they being so coy? Out of respect for our psyche?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExopoliticianSupreme

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i know that if another species imposes this on us we would resist. we would fight them until we die or they go away.

We'll cave like a house of cards.

I love that Hollywood mentality, "we'll fight til the end!!!". We are so deluded as a species. I just don't understand why they even care about our well being/state of mind.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

To quote the character Ba'al, as written by a deconstructionist/writer Brad Wright, "because if we enslave them now, their ancestors will despise us for all eternity".

He says this to his collegue when asked the same question, during his colonization of Earth.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

To quote the character Ba'al, as written by a deconstructionist/writer Brad Wright, "because if we enslave them now, their ancestors will despise us for all eternity".

He says this to his collegue when asked the same question, during his colonization of Earth.

why do they care if we despise them? is it really all about some spiritual karma? if so then we're on an even playing field.... almost.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Examining statistics shows human improvment in almost everything physical or mental.

Standards for education and athletics are going up. More drastically in the last 50 years than in the previous hundreds of years. I'm not trying to be mean, but what you said really isn't quantifiable, by the numbers.

Perhaps our ever incrasing standards are making us view the world with a pessimistic outlook?

I was being pessimistically funny

I've heard many things about the last hundred years in human evolution blah blah, however as with nature, species flourish in a perfect environment and we are no different. Obviously I can't be sure if it affects the brain, however yes, we have evolved and are continuing to do so.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The reason why aliens would visit earth coulld be one with hundreds of years in mind. Genetic replacement is better than slaughter.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
doesn't make much sense

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Ignorant and willing slaves are easier to keep than knowing and rebelious ones. Deception would be the easiest way to colonize us, although it wouldn't be the fastest or most efficient.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join