It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Program for General and Complete Disarmament in a Peaceful World

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by tjack

Have you ever met a Texan? A Georgian? Anyone from Louisiana or Alabama? They like guns more than they like education. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

And they're not afraid to show it, either.

You seem to be having trouble following your own advice:

Insulting us doesn't make you right. It only says that you have nothing more intelligent to add to your equally intelligent post above.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

There's a difference between stereotyping and cultural character. I can point you to a few people who will corroborate what I'm saying. I know a guy, very personally, who owned over 15 guns before he was that same age. He likes to punch through car doors when he gets upset.

Don't assume that just because I sound brash, I'm incorrect. America is not psycho, but the people in the south are quite often gung-ho hunters and patriots. They think violence = manliness and freedom.

And again, they're not afraid to show it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

There's a difference between stereotyping and cultural character. I can point you to a few people who will corroborate what I'm saying. I know a guy, very personally, who owned over 15 guns before he was that same age. He likes to punch through car doors when he gets upset.

Don't assume that just because I sound brash, I'm incorrect. America is not psycho, but the people in the south are quite often gung-ho hunters and patriots. They think violence = manliness and freedom.

As a southerner, I'm starting to get irritated by the constant stereotyping you are doing. I know plenty of people who own a lot more than 15 guns that have never hurt anyone. So what? You call us hunters and patriots like that 's a bad thing? Yeah, we like our country( not so much our government ) and we can defend ourselves and provide for ourselves. We should be ashamed.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

All that generalization based on a guy you know. I don't need to point out the problem with that do I.

FWIW, I grew up in a place even MORE gun-loving than anywhere you mentioned, have met countless gun owners over the years from all over, and not a single one of them resembles the "typical" gun owner you're attempting to describe.

Your arguments stink of troll, but I don't think I need to point that out either.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Exemplar

I don't know where you're from, but if you've never met these kind of people, then I'm surprised. Usually backwoods types. I'm forever being warned (I like to go hiking) that should I ever find myself in those southern areas, stay away from the backroads. They get very touchy, and one wrong word, intentional or no, has you backpedaling in the face of a 12 gauge-wielding country boy.

And yes, they do exist. It's not my fault you've never met them. I've not been down there, but I know a man who has been all over the country and has worked and lived down there...he has said that if you aren't familiar with the area and don't know how to work the people, avoid at all costs. They just don't share the same cultural vantage point. Not a bad thing, exactly, but something to skirt if you're not experienced in the matter.

Again, it isn't my fault if you've never met them. Maybe you should go trekking the back trails of some southern woodlands in Louisiana more often. I wouldn't advise it, though. Take a pistol with, you might need it. There's cougars out that way too, I hear.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Point out to me, please, where I used the word "typical" and "gun owner" in the same sentence.

You're assuming. See where that got you?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Okay. I can accept that you didnt mean to paint huge sections of a nation as being populated by hillbillies quick to anger and slow to learn. Maybe you're just terribly insensitive.

So can we quantify this stereotype?

Use something more concrete than personal anecdotes?

Lets try.

Using Gun Ownership by state we get percentage who state they own a gun:

Texas 36%
Georgia 40.3%
Louisiana 44.1%
Alabama 51.7%

Using Education Attainment by State we get percentages of High School, Bachelors, and Advanced degree completion percentages respectively:

Texas 79.9 25.5 8.5
Georgia 83.9 27.5 9.9
Louisiana 82.2 21.4 6.9
Alabama 82.1 22.0 7.7

Does that really tell us anything? Do they correlate?

What if we toss in money spent per student per year: Pupil expense per year by state

Texas $6,771
Georgia $7,380
Louisiana $6,567
Alabama $6,029

That doesnt help much. What's a dollar worth in those states? What are administrative costs like compared to high cost of living states like MA or CT?

I'm trying to help you out here.

How can I prove Texans are shootin' lovin' readin' hatin' rednecks? Hmmmm....

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Exemplar

I don't know where you're from, but if you've never met these kind of people, then I'm surprised. Usually backwoods types. I'm forever being warned (I like to go hiking) that should I ever find myself in those southern areas, stay away from the backroads. They get very touchy, and one wrong word, intentional or no, has you backpedaling in the face of a 12 gauge-wielding country boy.

And yes, they do exist. It's not my fault you've never met them. I've not been down there, but I know a man who has been all over the country and has worked and lived down there...he has said that if you aren't familiar with the area and don't know how to work the people, avoid at all costs. They just don't share the same cultural vantage point. Not a bad thing, exactly, but something to skirt if you're not experienced in the matter.

Again, it isn't my fault if you've never met them. Maybe you should go trekking the back trails of some southern woodlands in Louisiana more often. I wouldn't advise it, though. Take a pistol with, you might need it. There's cougars out that way too, I hear.

I'm from North Carolina. FYI, if you go anywhere that you don't know well, it's a good idea to stay off of the backroads and back alleys. And if you're back-pedalling from some country-boy and his shotgun, you are probably trespassing. I've yet to encounter someone just being an d-bag with a gun. Most of the people here are good, honest, heavily-stereotyped people. It's just a different culture.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Okay. I can accept that you didnt mean to paint huge sections of a nation as being populated by hillbillies quick to anger and slow to learn. Maybe you're just terribly insensitive.

Oh, that's not hillbillies. That's Homo Sapiens.

As to the rest of your post, statistics are unreliable, considering the number of people who actually answer, the number of people who answer honestly, the number of people the state attempts to reach, and the processing the results go through. Numbers from the state reflect what the state wants them to reflect. I dated a girl who was raped twice and her assailant never found...in Alabama. But they're not going to report that, are they? Pride is a terrible thing.

Meanwhile, she's raising the guy's kid.

Yeah, numbers don't lie, but they can be filtered. I would have thought you realized that.

How can I prove Texans are shootin' lovin' readin' hatin' rednecks? Hmmmm....

If you really want to that badly, taking me to a bar should work. I wouldn't even need a drink, I could just watch.

edit on 18-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exemplar
I'm from North Carolina. FYI, if you go anywhere that you don't know well, it's a good idea to stay off of the backroads and back alleys. And if you're back-pedalling from some country-boy and his shotgun, you are probably trespassing. I've yet to encounter someone just being an d-bag with a gun. Most of the people here are good, honest, heavily-stereotyped people. It's just a different culture.

This holds true to urban areas. Even high-culture zones around Harvard and Yale. Take a wrong turn in New Haven, CT and you're done for.

This phenomena is a trait of an isolated people or a people who have a history of being taken advantage of by outsiders.

It isnt some exclusive Southern trait.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

reply to post by tjack

Point out to me, please, where I used the word "typical" and "gun owner" in the same sentence.

You're assuming. See where that got you?

I don't know what you're talking about as you make very little sense with your replies. That much is no assumption, it's obvious to anyone who actually reads what you're spewing.

You're painting people who are into guns with too broad a brush, and I'm calling BS on it. You're entitled to your opinion, as misguided as it may be, but the reality of gun ownership in America is not at all what you're saying.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Back on topic: This program is not really relevant, as I don't see us ever living in "a peaceful world". Besides, nothing over-rules the constitution, which grants every American citizen a right to bear arms.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

How in hell would know how shooting a gun makes an American feel? I like how you stereotyped all Americans because you don't like guns. It shows how pea-brained and narrow sighted you truly are.
I just want to know why us owning guns bothers or outright angers so many people. I think you were truly brainwashed into thinking guns are bad.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You can ban all the weapons you want, there's still household goods in the right proportions.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by TechUnique

That's because American think shooting things makes them real tough. I'd be more impressed if they could win a gun fight with a knife. Takes more skill, more guts, and generally more everything. Including luck.

Shooting a gun makes you a man, eh? And hitting a woman when you're drunk makes you what, exactly?

Troll much?
Sorry, we're not dumb enough to bring a knife to a gun fight. Maybe you know more about that kind of stupidity?
Domestic violence happens everywhere, not just here..Try looking at how they treat women in the ME.
Time to quit entertaining the kids and get back on topic.
There are about 200,000,000 privately owned guns in the U.S and we know there are die hards that will fight to keep'em. I don't see a weapon ban happening without blood shed.
edit on 18-7-2012 by DAVID64 because: correction

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
sounds good. It's a shame it comes from a den of liars and thieves. It would be nice, but TPTB are not all dead yet and while they live they will do everything in their power to destroy, torture, rape, steal, abuse and defame in the name of Satan....
sounds so dumb. oooh Satan..oooh...f-ing comic book villains.

......so....yeah. Nice try.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I have an idea of a few places you can go, where people will share your anti gun enthusiasm.

Try going to England, Canada or Australia.

Better yet, just go to New York and enjoy your 16 oz soda, don't enjoy any more than that though, you might get fat and liberals don't like fat people even if they are fat because they fear that fat people suck up all their welfare.

You don't like America and the principals that made this nation great, then leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

You don't like America and the principals that made this nation great, then leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't necessarily agree with this attitude when it comes to gun rights. I believe that most people fear guns because they have little to no experience with them. It's in our nature to fear the unknown and hollywood certainly hasn't helped the reputation of guns. Instead of the love it or leave it attitude, I prefer to educate those willing to listen. I was surprised to find out that many foreigners have this mental image of Americans having shootouts all day and and all kinds of other nonsense from movies. A lot of anti-gun people change their attitude on their first trip to the shooting range/ranch and see that it's not some dangerous shootout, just some citizens target practicing.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Maybe I'm the only one who noticed the date in the document that OP linked. 1961. Anyone here think this is still worth arguing? Surely any plan of this nature, correctly dated for sometime near now, would be much different than the one linked. This thread is kinda moot if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

insulting us???.Tell that to the Libyans,Iraqis,native americans,irish and the countries on which your nation has waged 150 wars.

Let us know when you're ready to take credit and responsibility for everything your leaders, bosses, family members, peers, and fellow citizens do.

There are far more Americans trying to fix this than you realize... but the world is blaming America when this is a World issue. Either help or wait until someone else does. America is the Straw Man to distract you from the leaders in every nation subverting the will of the people. Very likely including yours whether you've noticed it yet or not.

Namaste.
edit on 2012/7/18 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join