It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Program for General and Complete Disarmament in a Peaceful World

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Dude no one cares where you're from or how cool (not really) you are because you don't have a gun.

I'm not a gun lover personally but I will only be open to the idea of weapons being discarded when the military machine puts theirs down first.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
No one on this planet needs weapons. Period.

Here's a few people that might disagree with you:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They
are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under
independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day,
events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace
security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally
indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains
evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's
good."
-George Washington

The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on
the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and
the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as
property. The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same
balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for
all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay
them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world
deprived of the use of them; the weak would become a prey to the
strong."
-Thomas Paine

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual
discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny
or private self-defense."
-John Adams

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms in his own
lands."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are
ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is
able may have a gun."
-Patrick Henry

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be
infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and
most natural defense of a free country..."
-James Madison

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the
people of other countries, whose rulers are afraid to trust them
with arms."
-James Madison

"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to
form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while
there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights..."
-Alexander Hamilton

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with
arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction,
and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms,
in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
-Patrick Henry

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-George Mason, co-author of the 2nd amendment

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
-Samuel Adams

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
-Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … "
-Thomas Jefferson

"The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-Alexander Hamilton

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

And last but not least, I did stumble across someone who agreed with you:

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolph Hitler, Chancellor, Germany, 1933

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Dude no one cares where you're from or how cool (not really) you are because you don't have a gun.

My, you're sensitive. I never once implied that I was cool, so take a chill pill and cool yourself down, friend.

At least the military TRIES to act like it's interested in our protection. Civilians do whatever the **** they want to, and really, we wouldn't need guns if the threat weren't INSIDE our border. We can't even trust our own neighbors. Hell, in my hometown, a man with a gun randomly walked into a house and shot a 14 year old girl. He wasn't military, but he had a gun. Imagine if all guns were banned?

She would never have gotten hurt.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The only thing this will achieve is to keep people from hunting, sport shooting and protect themselves.
The criminals will still find weapons.
Either they make the weapons themselves or they will buy it from corrupt parts of the governments which still have access to weapons.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Prove that. Prove that without any doubt right now.

I saw a little girl stabbed to death with an Xacto knife when I was a little kid right on Main Street in front of dozens of people. Guy went into a hobby shop. Stole the knife. Stabbed the little girl to death. Couldnt have been older than 7.

You prove to me right now that in the complete absence of any and all firearms in the totality of the universe that girl would not have been harmed.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

My, you're sensitive. I never once implied that I was cool, so take a chill pill and cool yourself down, friend.

At least the military TRIES to act like it's interested in our protection. Civilians do whatever the **** they want to, and really, we wouldn't need guns if the threat weren't INSIDE our border. We can't even trust our own neighbors. Hell, in my hometown, a man with a gun randomly walked into a house and shot a 14 year old girl. He wasn't military, but he had a gun. Imagine if all guns were banned?

No, she just would have been stabbed or clubbed instead. People intent on committing violent acts will find a way. If your theory were true, humanity should have been entirely peaceful up until the invention of the firearm. Was it? Hardly. We butchered and hacked away at each other in massive wars. Stop blaming the tool and start putting responsibility on the wielder.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Exemplar

Between a knife and a gun, which do you have more of a chance against?

...Exactly.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I know right. I mean here in the UK they banned handguns and we have really restrictive gun laws and no one gets murdered or attacked like ever.

Hardly ever happens. It's so safe here now.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

...Exactly.

You have more chance against the gun if you have a gun.

You have more chance against the knife if you have a gun.

Simple.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

reply to post by TechUnique

That's because American think shooting things makes them real tough. ~snip~

That's about as accurate as me saying "People from other countries who don't like Americans having guns are just jealous of us."

Seriously.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Sugar Key facts

346 million people worldwide have diabetes.

In 2004, an estimated 3.4 million people died from consequences of high blood sugar.

More than 80% of diabetes deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries.

WHO projects that diabetes deaths will double between 2005 and 2030.

Healthy diet, regular physical activity, maintaining a normal body weight and avoiding tobacco use can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.

And sugar is still legal...!
Even though it is not a natural substance to our bodies.
Definitely not in the amount which it is provided in todays society.
If TPTB are going to ban something because they fear for the populations safety, well guns are not the issue.
I can almost promise that if people could use sugar as a weapon againt TPTB, sugar would have been banned a along time ago.
edit on 18-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

...Exactly.

Currently? I am armed, so i'd say a good chance against both. If you had your way? I'd have no chance, as nobody "should" have weapons and I would not be allowed to defend myself. That's the problem with the anti-gun mentality. It disarms the law abiding "good" citizens. People that commit crimes don't really care about the laws and will have a gun regardless of laws and restrictions. The second amendment is not up for debate.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

If TPTB are going to ban something because they fear for the populations safety, well guns are not the issue.

Safety is never the reason.

In the 80's and 90's the public was hammered with stories of handguns on the streets and mythical creatures like teflon coated bullets zipping through bullet resistant vests and ceramic or plastic guns getting past metal detectors.

Every night for years the network news ran these stories.

These mythical guns never existed.

The only real problem that was even remotely supported by any statistics whatsoever was handguns used in crime.

So what did Congress do? Regulate rifles with the AWB. Statistically the least likely weapon to be used in any crime.

They cant even lie right. Their solutions are never consistent with the problem. They go on TV and make themselves out to look like fools talking about shoulder things that go up and heat-seeking incendiary bullets.

Of course they dont care if the measures have nothing to so with the problems or if they look like complete jackasses in front of millions of people because the end game is the same regardless: total ban.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I've known a man to be faced by five guns and disarmed all of them without need for any weapon besides his own hands. We like guns because it makes the job easy. Simple as that. And for such an emotional species, with death only a twitch away, we get full of ourselves. Accidents happen. And many times, they aren't accidents.

Are you saying we can't figure out a way to resolve issues without guns? Are we really that stupid? Remember, a man who can't resolve a situation without a gun, doesn't need one. Restraint is a virtue.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjack

reply to post by TechUnique

That's because American think shooting things makes them real tough. ~snip~

That's about as accurate as me saying "People from other countries who don't like Americans having guns are just jealous of us."

Seriously.

I don't think they are jealous. More like ignorant. They have grown up in a culture that is not firearm-friendly. They only know what they see on TV, the movies and the occasional news report. I doubt they have ever shot a firearm and their ignorance leads to unjustified fear. Target shooting is fun. Hunting puts food on the table for a lot of families. And guns are no more dangerous than any other weapon. Take a kitchen knife for example. It doesn't cut things by itself. Someone has to aim and control it. A gun works the same way. I don't understand why this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp? Do you blame a car for a drunk driver?

link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hear, hear.

link   
They already did it in Australia, but then again, Australia is supposedly where the ultimate 'global puppet masters' live, so it figures they'd want the Aussie public disarmed and defenceless first and foremost....and for good reason, too - it's become an oppressive hellhole to be stuck living in if you're a believer in the right to personal freedom of any description, so it's only a matter of time before Jane and Joe Public are fed up and begin a revolt.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Have you ever met a Texan? A Georgian? Anyone from Louisiana or Alabama? They like guns more than they like education. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

And they're not afraid to show it, either.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

When the governments undoubtedly works for the citizens wellbeing, guns will no longer be needed.
Until then...

I believe a pretty famous and sweet dude said this.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson

Imagine if Mr Jefferson said this.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of sugar. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and use sugar is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

I wonder if something else than firearms would have been banned if the above had been said.
edit on 18-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I've known a man to be faced by five guns and disarmed all of them without need for any weapon besides his own hands. We like guns because it makes the job easy. Simple as that. And for such an emotional species, with death only a twitch away, we get full of ourselves. Accidents happen. And many times, they aren't accidents.

Are you saying we can't figure out a way to resolve issues without guns? Are we really that stupid? Remember, a man who can't resolve a situation without a gun, doesn't need one. Restraint is a virtue.

No. Accidents don't happen, they are CAUSED by negligent users. Guns dont load themselves. Guns don't aim themselves. Guns don't pull their own triggers. And when some thug kicks your door in at 3 am and the police are 10 minutes away, i'd love to see you try to peacefully resolve the issue.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join