It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist terrorists are as bad as any other religious extremist

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
well its hard to argue atheism is a philosophy unless we look in a dictionary

dictionary.reference.com...

phi·los·o·phy   
the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

Clearly not atheism as truth has no value, and nothing justifies investigation except maybe evolution to justify atheism

any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.

Well atheism is not moral, lets be honest, not physical or metaphysical as humanity has no nature of being, but wait are we daydreaming evolution??

a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
Doctrine of atheism Religion is evil, yeah thats a doctrine. Atheism has doctrines clearly.

the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, especially with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.

Atheism does not study itself, yes it does. It demands that it be accepted as THE knowledge

a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
This fails as atheism has no principles at all.

Atheism by dictionary definition is a philosophy

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

You responded exactly as I expected you would.

I am fully aware many dictionaries have opinions of Atheism. Some even refer to it as Devil worshiping.

NOTE: Please do not confuse the definition of atheism with the philosophy of atheism. A lot of atheists do not like the idea of atheism only being a “lack of belief in gods,” but that is because they are placing the philosophy of atheism onto the definition of atheism. The two are different. If the definition of atheism qualified as the philosophy then we must accept babies in our numbers, which is obviously ridiculous. The philosophy of atheism ranges from one person to another, which is why I do not address it in this article. My concern is the definition of the word.

WHAT IS ATHEISM?

“What is atheism” is usually the one question never asked of atheists. Most people do not ask this question because they already have their own ideas about what atheism is and what atheists are. Where these ideas originate vary from their minister to their social circle to myths encouraged by certain media outlets.

Theists usually define atheism incorrectly as a belief system. The ulterior motive behind this incorrect definition is that if atheism is a belief system, then theists can refer to atheism as a religion. If one can refer to atheism as a religion, then one can argue that attempts to uphold the separation of church and state (SOCAS) supports the “religion of atheism.”

Some dictionaries even say that atheism is the “doctrine that there is no God.” At least The American Heritage Dictionary says “God and gods” after the word “doctrine,” but that does not detract from the fact that use of the word “doctrine” is incorrect. Clearly, two thousand years of Christian influence have tainted dictionaries. I am certainly not suggesting a conspiracy. I am only suggesting that the theistic worldview and theistic usage of the word have tainted the definition from the original meaning of the word.

Speaking of the original meaning, the word atheism comes from the Greek atheos, which means “without god.” The original meaning of the word, based on its Greek origins, mentions nothing about “disbelief” or “denial.” A short and single-word definition would be “godless.” The fact that the dictionary definitions use the phrase “there is no God” betrays the theistic influence in defining the word “atheism.” If dictionaries did not contain such influence, then the definition would read, “A belief that there are no gods.” The use of god in singular form, with a capital G, is indicative of Christian influence. In addition, using words like “doctrine” and “denial” betray the negativity seen of atheists by theistic writers. Atheism does not have a doctrine at all and I certainly do not “deny” that gods exist. Denial is the “refusal to believe.” Atheism does not “know there is a god but refuse to believe in him (or her, for that matter).” That is as silly as saying that you know Big Foot exists but you refuse to believe in him. If the evidence of gods was insurmountable and provable, and atheists still refused to believe, then that would be an act of denial. This is similar to how Scully refused to believe in aliens and UFO encounters even though Mulder had insurmountable evidence of their existence. Scully denied the existence of aliens and UFO’s even though the evidence was overwhelming. She was a horrible example of a skeptic! atheists.org...

edit on 21-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

You responded exactly as I expected you would.

I am fully aware many dictionaries have opinions of Atheism. Some even refer to it as Devil worshiping.

NOTE: Please do not confuse the definition of atheism with the philosophy of atheism. A lot of atheists do not like the idea of atheism only being a “lack of belief in gods,” but that is because they are placing the philosophy of atheism onto the definition of atheism. The two are different. If the definition of atheism qualified as the philosophy then we must accept babies in our numbers, which is obviously ridiculous. The philosophy of atheism ranges from one person to another, which is why I do not address it in this article. My concern is the definition of the word.

WHAT IS ATHEISM?

“What is atheism” is usually the one question never asked of atheists. Most people do not ask this question because they already have their own ideas about what atheism is and what atheists are. Where these ideas originate vary from their minister to their social circle to myths encouraged by certain media outlets.

Theists usually define atheism incorrectly as a belief system. The ulterior motive behind this incorrect definition is that if atheism is a belief system, then theists can refer to atheism as a religion. If one can refer to atheism as a religion, then one can argue that attempts to uphold the separation of church and state (SOCAS) supports the “religion of atheism.”

Some dictionaries even say that atheism is the “doctrine that there is no God.” At least The American Heritage Dictionary says “God and gods” after the word “doctrine,” but that does not detract from the fact that use of the word “doctrine” is incorrect. Clearly, two thousand years of Christian influence have tainted dictionaries. I am certainly not suggesting a conspiracy. I am only suggesting that the theistic worldview and theistic usage of the word have tainted the definition from the original meaning of the word.

Speaking of the original meaning, the word atheism comes from the Greek atheos, which means “without god.” The original meaning of the word, based on its Greek origins, mentions nothing about “disbelief” or “denial.” A short and single-word definition would be “godless.” The fact that the dictionary definitions use the phrase “there is no God” betrays the theistic influence in defining the word “atheism.” If dictionaries did not contain such influence, then the definition would read, “A belief that there are no gods.” The use of god in singular form, with a capital G, is indicative of Christian influence. In addition, using words like “doctrine” and “denial” betray the negativity seen of atheists by theistic writers. Atheism does not have a doctrine at all and I certainly do not “deny” that gods exist. Denial is the “refusal to believe.” Atheism does not “know there is a god but refuse to believe in him (or her, for that matter).” That is as silly as saying that you know Big Foot exists but you refuse to believe in him. If the evidence of gods was insurmountable and provable, and atheists still refused to believe, then that would be an act of denial. This is similar to how Scully refused to believe in aliens and UFO encounters even though Mulder had insurmountable evidence of their existence. Scully denied the existence of aliens and UFO’s even though the evidence was overwhelming. She was a horrible example of a skeptic! atheists.org...

edit on 21-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

and you responded exactly as I would have expected.
We have differing opinions....I think we can move on accepting that...surely?

James 1-27, The bible states "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
Clearly if the biblical description of religion is what we base atheism is a religion on then atheism is not a religion.

By dictionary definition it is a religion

I can see both sides

edit on 21-7-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

edit on 21-7-2012 by borntowatch because: double post sorry

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Opinion?

No, it is not about opinion.

You are wrong.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
No I am not you are Nah naa nah, so there you go.
I win you lose I am smart you are silly and I am the king of the castle.

I can be childish as well

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
No I am not you are Nah naa nah, so there you go.
I win you lose I am smart you are silly and I am the king of the castle.

I can be childish as well

The only one being childish is you.

The previous post that you responded to with incorrect dictionary opinions was written because of the article from Atheist.org.

You were baited and took the bait exactly as I expected you would.

And exactly as the article directly from Atheist.org states - - - you continue with incorrect opinions that are not based in fact.

Simply - - you are wrong.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Oh good I hope it makes you feel warm and superior.

I took my definitions from the standard English dictionary, that means I am using definitions that all English speaking people use
I will do it again

dictionary.reference.com...

phi·los·o·phy   
the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

Clearly not atheism as truth has no value, and nothing justifies investigation except maybe evolution to justify atheism

any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.

Well atheism is not moral, lets be honest, not physical or metaphysical as humanity has no nature of being, but wait are we daydreaming evolution??

a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
Doctrine of atheism Religion is evil, yeah thats a doctrine. Atheism has doctrines clearly.

the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, especially with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.

Atheism does not study itself, yes it does. It demands that it be accepted as THE knowledge based on science. Though its not repeatable testable or or observable so it aint no science

a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
This fails as atheism has no principles at all.

Atheism by dictionary definition is a philosophy

Even the atheists Talk Origins site accepts atheism accepts metaphysics and its philosophy
"Summary: Evolutionary theory is a scientific theory dealing with scientific data, not a system of metaphysical beliefs or a religion. It does, however, set the sorts of general problems biology deals with, and also acts as a philosophical attitude in dealing with complex change."

Evolution is not a science as its not repeatable observable and testable so it is a faith.

www.talkorigins.org...

This is not baiting or opinion any more, its a simple fact proven by definitions in the dictionary and atheists themselves.

I dont care about your faith or religion, please enjoy it. God bless you annee
I am not interested in petty arguments.
Dont argue me or my position, argue the facts listed. This is childish.

and whats even funnier, I didnt read what you quoted from your atheist site, I didnt read your article. I am just not interested, I dont care. It means nothing to me. Heard your type to many times and your same inane sidestepping argument
edit on 22-7-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

atheism is a belief system- it is a belief that there is no God or afterlife, a BELIEF

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

atheism is a belief system- it is a belief that there is no God or afterlife, a BELIEF

System? There is no doctrine to believe in Atheism.

Lack of belief is not a belief - - other then "NO GOD". It begins and ends with "NO GOD".

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You're swinging your bat in the air.

You can't make something be what you want it to be - - just because you want it to be.

You are doing exactly what this NOTE states.

NOTE: Please do not confuse the definition of atheism with the philosophy of atheism. A lot of atheists do not like the idea of atheism only being a “lack of belief in gods,” but that is because they are placing the philosophy of atheism onto the definition of atheism. The two are different. If the definition of atheism qualified as the philosophy then we must accept babies in our numbers, which is obviously ridiculous. The philosophy of atheism ranges from one person to another, which is why I do not address it in this article. My concern is the definition of the word. www.atheist.org

edit on 22-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

and whats even funnier, I didnt read what you quoted from your atheist site, I didnt read your article. I am just not interested, I dont care. It means nothing to me. Heard your type to many times and your same inane sidestepping argument

Classic!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Why cant a person just go about his life without the need for a god or god's?

Without reigion and the beilief in a god there would be no such word as atheism. I'll go with that.

edit on 22-7-2012 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Evolution is not a science as its not repeatable observable and testable so it is a faith.

www.talkorigins.org...

So you claim evolution is a belief system and post a link that argues the exact opposite?

Last I checked, genetic mutations and natural selection are both testable, observable and repeatable.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

www.talkorigins.org...

So you claim evolution is a belief system and post a link that argues the exact opposite?

Last I checked, genetic mutations and natural selection are both testable, observable and repeatable.

Yet they open up with a denial its a metaphysical belief?? I wonder WHY that is? Oh no I dont, because it is a metaphysical belief and they know it to the point they deny it.

www.talkorigins.org...
Read the summary, it states. Its metaphysical belief but we wont admit it and you shouldnt either
Quote "also acts as a philosophical attitude in dealing with complex change." Yeah thats a philosophical attitude, meaning they admit its a religion.

Show me how evolution is repeatable observable and testable and please dont fall into macro micro evolution hole. Its a stupid petty unargument.

We need species changing in to new species not differentiations within species
edit on 24-7-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by SpookyVince

No not really. The target of most of the atheists wrath were those who believed in God. That philosophy they found objectionable and wanted it stamped out. To this day communists kill torture and imprison christians and folks of other faiths. Chinese prisons and North Korean gulags are filled with christians put there precisely because of their faith.

This is exactly the same sort of inquisition that the atheists accuse christians of. However they managed to kill a lot more. They are even more blood thirsty than pagan religions such as the catholic church.

I think this needs to be requoted it is so good

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Talk Origins is one man's philosophy. It is archived material from 1998-2006.

Here is John S. Wilkins current site: Evolving Thoughts evolvingthoughts.net...

At least try to be current.

edit on 24-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Oh BTW - - - here is how your philosopher John S. Wilkins defines atheism.

Atheism is, in my view (and that of lexicographers and philosophy of religion) a positive belief. It asserts that gods do not exist. Anything else simply isn’t atheism. evolvingthoughts.net...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Oh BTW - - - here is how your philosopher John S. Wilkins defines atheism.

Atheism is, in my view (and that of lexicographers and philosophy of religion) a positive belief. It asserts that gods do not exist. Anything else simply isn’t atheism. evolvingthoughts.net...

Who?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Talk Origins is one man's philosophy. It is archived material from 1998-2006.

Here is John S. Wilkins current site: Evolving Thoughts evolvingthoughts.net...

At least try to be current.

You dont get to tell me how to act and what to believe, neither does he (whoever he is). You dont control anyone.
I am telling you what I think and see, you are telling me what I have to think and see. You are creepy, you dont dominate and control. I am not affected by what you think, or what those you respect think.
Leave it out, we have different opinions. I accept yours, its fine for you, now move forward.

Dont tell me what to think. I am not your servant/subject. Get over yourself
edit on 24-7-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join