It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the UN Security Council meet with Al Queda/Bin Laden?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I know that this might seem either a very simplistic or a naive question. But when there is a problem with another country such as Iran there is normally either a bilateral meeting between say the US and Iran representatives, or a multilateral meeeting between say the UN and Iran.

Now I am well aware that Bin Laden doesn't represent any formal country and is a the head of a terrorist organisation, but everyday we read about an attack somewhere and people are either dying daily or living in fear all around the world. Would it not be possible to bring a senior Al Queda member to the UN to discuss how this can all be brought to a halt?

The security council currently consists of Chile, China ( permanent member), France (permanent member) , Germany, Pakistan, Phillipines, Romania, Russian federation (permanent member), Spain, United Kingdom ( permanent member), United States (permanent member),Alegeria, Angola, Benin, Brazil.

I understand that the world does not want to have formal meetings with terrorists, this was also the reason given by the old South African government as to why they couldn't negotiate with the african National Congress, in the end the so;lution lay in formal dialogue. YES, I am fully aware of the differences in the situations, but the current scenario seems to be escalating rather declining maybe it's time for a different solution?

Ok flame me for being ignorant and naive, or think outside of the box.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
A meeting with BinLaden... we supposedly don't even know where he's at.........

I understand what you're trying to say here, but it'll never happen.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think its a great idea afterall the UN headquarters is in New york and I for one would love to see what would happen when OBL tried to walk out the door.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Now that could prove to be a little bit embarrassing for some, just think of the tales he could tell

I personally think the whole Al-CIAda threat has been hyped out of all proportion. It seems that every "terrorist" suspect arrested around the world is immediately reported as being a member of, or linnked to, Al Qaida.
Almost overnight a shady bunch of cave dwellers became an international organisation with thousands of members and cells all over the place.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
In brief the meeting need not take place in New York it could take place in a mutually agreed upon country/city. Secondly, I think it's easy enough to get a high placed Al Queda official to attend an initial meeting, just send out a news allert that the world want to start resolving the "dispute" with Al Queda - communications could take place through Al Jazeera.

Am I the only one who noticed that the muslim nations aren't really represented in the Security Council? Algeria hardly counts.

The Security Council has primary responsibility, under the Charter,for the maintenance of international peace and security.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea, too. What the hell do we have to lose? Why not get the message out there that we want a meeting, and see what happens? Maybe that should've been done before we attacked Iraq for no apparent reason.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Having negotiations with OBL would be an incredible mistake.
1.In the eyes of many people, it would legitimize him and his actions.
2. It would send the message to every lunatic and terrorist that if they just commit some horrible act, that the UN will buckle to to their demands. Pretty soon, we would have hundreds of terrorists doing similar things, in hopes of getting the UN to negotiate. That is why the US(and most other countries) dont negotiate with terrorists. Negotiating with them would only give them what they want, and this would cause other terrorists to use this tactic.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Oh, I see. So lets just let them continue to attack people, right? Is that any better? What we're doing is not working. In fact, it's only pissing them off more. Children are becoming the next generation of terrorist because all they see is the US attacking them. In their eyes, we're the bad guys.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Very good question there.
I look at it this way: If the UN can sit around a table and talk to the US and Israel without throwing up, a little tete a tete with Bin-Laden et al is nothing...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
UBL is NOT a legitimate voice for anyone.
He's a mass murdering egocentric maniac.
No. He should not have a meeting with the UN security council.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The world actually does negotiate with "terrorist groups" including the PLO, the African National Congress, Sinn Fein etc etc These were all tagged as terrorist organisations.

In the case of the PLO :

Besides the support the Palestinians have received from the Arab and Islamic world, and most other UN members, the Palestinians have been afforded special treatment at the UN since 1975. That year the General Assembly awarded permanent representative status to the PLO, which opened an office in midtown Manhattan.

In 1988, the PLO's status was upgraded when the General Assembly designated the PLO as “Palestine.” Ten years later, the General Assembly voted to give the Palestinians a unique status as a non-voting member of the 185 member Assembly. The vote in favor was overwhelming, 124 in favor and 4 against with 10 abstentions. The countries opposing the resolution were Israel, the United States, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands.

Palestinian representatives can now raise the issue of the peace process in the General Assembly, cosponsor draft resolutions on Middle East peace and have the right of reply. They still do not have voting power and cannot put forward candidates for UN committees such as the Security Council. The Arabs had originally sought greater powers, including the right to sit with other independent states and to sponsor resolutions. They compromised after the Europeans told the Arabs that they would only support the resolution if the most controversial political items were removed. Still, their status gives the Palestinians procedural privileges that exceed those of other groups with UN observer status such as Switzerland or the Vatican.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

As if one man could hope to compete with the US murder total

In terms of kills he isn't even in the same order of magnitude as the US!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Actually, I doubt he's killed anyone, personally. From that perspective, Bush is a mass murderer too, then.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

As if one man could hope to compete with the US murder total

In terms of kills he isn't even in the same order of magnitude as the US!

if it's war, it's not murder.

no, the UN should not meet with Osama, in fact, i seriously doubt Osama would meet with the UN.

he is a murderer, plain and simple. he deserves the treatment Jeffery Dahmer got, multiplied by the number of victims he left in his wake.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Now I am well aware that Bin Laden doesn't represent any formal country and is a the head of a terrorist organisation

There is a precedent for it...the UN suddenly treating Arafat as a politician (would still love to know how THAT ever came about....)

The point is moot however, as people have pointed out...
1. OBL must not be treated as a "legitimate" politician, or it will be seen as acceptance of terrorism as a means to further one's political agenda.
2. He isn't looking to negotiate, he wants what he wants, and thats it...
3. To that end, if you can't talk with an enemy, your only option is to defeat them...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
1. As soon as the US was told of the location of the meeting, they'd pick up Osama and bring him to justice.
2. Setting the UN up with Osama and Al Qaeda has the potential to be a major cash cow. Look at how much money the UN, Russia, France et al apparently made in the oil for food deals. Imagine what those scum bags could do with the Opium trade out of Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If you want the UN to have meetings with "Al-Qaeda" or Osama Bin Laden, just call up the CIA. They probably could put you in contact with him and Al-Qaeda.

Secret meetings between Western Countries and Osama has been happening before 9/11 happened, as was reported by a British couple who were out in the Pakistan/Afghanistan border area. They reported seeing U.S Forces in and around the area where Osama was at the time.

"Al-Qaeda" is an organization that is tied to the U.S Government and CIA.

top topics

join