It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is so wrong with religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by maes9

Okay.

First of, I found it extremely hard to understand your most recent post. If you have the time to go through it and make it more understandable I would appreciate it very much.

Second thing - you don't seem to understand what I mean when I say you need evidence to back up your claims. Numerology does not suffice. Math is a system developed by man, and because of the limited amount of symbols they are bound to be repeated in all sorts of stuff. The fact that you might be able to match a biblical number to a current or historic event is not evidence, it is just a coincidence.

Clearly all of this stuff makes sense in your head, and it doesn't in mine. I think you need to consider that. Cause it sounds like you take a lot of stuff on belief, in which case it is easy to make sense of a lot of stuff.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by maes9

Mate you need to open you mind a little, we are not clerics, just people, try and listen to what is being said to you. Also you need tangible evidence to back up you argument. Something that you will find almost impossible to produce when dealing with organised religion short of you digging up a scroll signed by God stating God Waz Ere!
edit on 11-7-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
What's wrong with religion?

It is a thorn in the side of athiests.

I go to church, I pray, I do good deeds that I may or may not have done...I live a loving and peaceful lifestyle...

In the minds of athiests, I am being manipulated and controlled... forced to do things I would not do otherwise...

So what?

Here is the stickler.... if there is no God, whose life have I wasted? I would have lived a good life, loving my friends, and family, and even complete strangers... then die and rot in a grave having made a positive impact on the world.

But what if there is a God? Even as they deny God... using science, history, logic... trying to "enlighten" all of us deluded religious folk... somewhere in the back, darkest, little corner of their mind... they wonder or fear that we are right... That there is a God.

And if there is a God... what consequences do they face in the end?

That's why so many try so hard to disprove God.... otherwise an imaginary being that I believe in would not bother them so.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I pray as well, but not in a church, just me and the big dude, no more, no less!

Whats wrong with organised religion, War, hatred, famine, pestilence, rape! Whats wrong with organised religion is it has an agenda, and its not saving you soul, its total control of you free will! Essentially organised religion is hijacking your thought processes and modifying then to there way of reckoning.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Organised religion as a whole or a religion that is organized specifically?

There are churches, temples, groups not affilliated with a regional or national group...

Baseball bats have been used to kill, beat, attack... so baseball teams should ban baseball bats...

Everone that has killed, raped, attacked someone drank water, breathed air... so we should stop drinking water and breathing air?

Because some religions or factions have committed atrocities in the past and even present... we should avoid that religion or religions in general?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

"Organised religion as a whole or a religion that is organized specifically?"

Ok ile run with your idea a little, but please explain the differance? You see organization is still just that, its still organization by men who are incompetent and completly fallible.

Remember every war fought throuout history has had religious implications.

"Baseball bats have been used to kill, beat, attack... so baseball teams should ban baseball bats..."

Thats just nonsensical and in no way relevant, organised religion basicly beats the other squad up for having different coloured shirts on.

"Everone that has killed, raped, attacked someone drank water, breathed air... so we should stop drinking water and breathing air?"

Say whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhat???

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I have a problem with religious people in general. That is simply not the case, and when you suggest that most religious people have never bothered me, or anyone else, because of their belief system I am inclined to agree with you.
But the problem with religion - for the third time in this thread - is that it is open to interpretation and does not provide any help in reaching a common consensus on things.

Obviously, you believe in freedom of religion, cause for you to have your right to worship you must allow other to do the same - cause you have no way of establishing or proving who is right.
But since there is no limit to what a person might believe, the result is anarchy.

What if one group believes that your land was promised to them by their god? what if others believe it is alright to harm you in the name of their lord? What if they have to spread the good word?
There are plenty of cases and examples of religious people making life hard for others exclusively because of their religious views.

Should I not take offence?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
What i dont get about organised religion is that some people my self included can see it for the bullcrap that it is while others are too scared to come out from behind there mommys shirt tales because there essentially terrified by a deity that cant even be bothered to turn up and fix the crap that he/she supposedly created in the first place!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

Everone that has killed, raped, attacked someone drank water, breathed air... so we should stop drinking water and breathing air?

Water and air never told me to hurt nobody. Religion has done that countless times.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

I completly agree!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

What is there not to get?
As you say yourself, some people are to afraid to challange their belief system.

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: just wanted to add a smiley..

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

"What is there not to get?
As you say yourself, some people are to afraid to challange their belief system."

Its sad though because they cant all be so short sighted, i know religious people who are educated and intelligent, yet organised religion stops then from seeing beyond the nose on there face.

Also its holding back technology still! Just look at what we could do with stem cell research if they were allowed to run with the ball, immortality could be just around the cornor. Is that not what god promises in the long run anyway?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
What's wrong with religions? Well for the most part, humans in trying to understand it, have projected our own human characteristics onto the creator, and turned it into something human like. Jealousy, prejudice, revenge for example.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'd say catholicism, the vatican, islamic extremism, mormonism, joseph kony, the guy behind the kony 2012 campaign, most christians in america, the church of scientology and jesus camp, just a few but they sum it up quite nicely

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
EVERYTHING

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

edit on 11-7-2012 by maes9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Whats wrong with religion, well aside from the priests tampering with the altar boys, and mostly every sharia law Muslim screeming gehad towards the west. Humanity has simply outgrown organised religion, we dont need a God that says, do this or that or ile spank you. Communion with your creator does not require the services of some dirty old bigot anylonger! The Truth is that it never has required anyone but youself.

Yes you are right. No dogma or religon is needed to be One with god but there is hidden truths in the religious text if you have a mind that can ponder the meaning. Why listen to a blind priest when you can figure it out yourself. No matter what anyone say. It is only the person themselves that can connect. Nobody can walk up the hill for you. They can guide you but not do it for you.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by apushforenlightment

Isn't that a little vague?

This is how I read your post:
No one can explain religion, but if some one gives it a little thought by themselves, they might or will figure it out. Isn't that unfair to people who can't read?

As I have stated throughout this thread, you can't reach a common consensus with religion and that is the problem with it. There is no guarantee that people will understand any vers in the same way - not even if you think of it really really hard.
There is almost no limit to how it can be interpreted. How do you know your version is the right one?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987
reply to post by maes9

Why do you believe that?

Please, instead of just making crazy accusations about the devil manipulating mankind against organized religion and theis, please try to back up your claims with some kind of data - any kind.

Have you met Satan?

If you mean the conditioned ego that is lost in dualistic ideas and will not accept the thruth behind everything. The yes I have met my ego and even conqurered it totaly ones and had what is called ego death. A very interesting experiance. The ego comes back agina after that but is very different.

Satan is from my point of view a symbolic representation in the bible of the ego existing in all of ous.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987
reply to post by apushforenlightment

Isn't that a little vague?

This is how I read your post:
No one can explain religion, but if some one gives it a little thought by themselves, they might or will figure it out. Isn't that unfair to people who can't read?

As I have stated throughout this thread, you can't reach a common consensus with religion and that is the problem with it. There is no guarantee that people will understand any vers in the same way - not even if you think of it really really hard.
There is almost no limit to how it can be interpreted. How do you know your version is the right one?

When you are in the ballpark and you are ready you get answers back that are supernatural. I know this will be hard for you to accept as an atheist and if it was 2 years ago then I would not have belived it myself but. I found something that answers me back and it seem to fit descriptions in religons quite well. I belive in an invisable friend because frankly I get constant proof of the existance of something more. But I will not say the a certain religon is completly right since I am still trying to figure out exactly what is going on myself.

If you feel like to see if you can figure it out for yourself then my suggestion is to listen to chakra meditation sounds on Youtube or something like it. If you get it to work then you will get own proof for yourself. And to really understand something keep asking questions and making sure everything you think makes sense and follow your instincts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join