It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What possible use is the Higgs Boson??? And who cares?? Not me.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

Originally posted by iskander683
To be honest, I just don't care about the Higgs Boson particle. I'm all for scientific endeavour, if there is going to be a benefit, but this elusive particle just doesn't do it for me. It's a complete and total waste of resources, time and money.

Lucky for you nobody listened to similar views when "discovering" the electron otherwise you would not have a computer with which to write your opinion.

Nobody can say for sure what will come of this. What we can say is that physicist can now concentrate on the existence of the higgs and unravel how the damn thing works.

IMHO : Since the Higgs imparts mass to matter then this opens up all sorts of possibilities. Imagine what the effect would be of modifying mass:
1. Anti gravity!
2. No inertia (Ie the inertial dampeners you see on Star Trek that allows accelration without falling over)
3. Faster than light travel. As you accelerate towards the speed of light your mass increases so quite clearly the higgs is involved. Switch that off and zoom no limit!

Sure, if the Higgs mass were 1 eV/c^2 and not 125 GeV/c^2 it might be technologically feasible. But it isn't. If the first were true, we might have discovered the effects in 1910 and have all sorts of technology around it now.

Equivalent. Discovering liquid hydrocarbons under rocks in Texas vs discovering liquid hydrocarbon on the moon of Saturn. We're not going to be drilling Titan. It's not 10 times harder, it's ten trillion times harder.

Another equivalent, General Relativity. The problem is that the coupling term (big "G") is just soo small that you can't do anything 'interesting' that you don't already have with Newtonian gravity, e.g. hydroelectric power.

edit on 8-7-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
hopefully soon enough it can be used to instantly remove all ignorant people like you from the planet. the world would be a better place. such ignorance is staggering.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
"What is the use of an infant?"

---- Michael Faraday

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So the OP said he didn't get the point and I'm dying at all the smug lame attitutidue that have come along with explanations. People and their lame egos, still rank stank even though text. "are you a particle physicst? Her her her derp derp derp" no and neither are you smug assmonkey. "oh somebody doesn't understand something", "quick it's my time to be elementary and belittling, derp derp", that's what it is eh
edit on 8-7-2012 by LightWarrior11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

"Fine, but what use it this discovery going to be to humankind?"

This was exactly my question when they announced it. Mind you, of course, most of these scientists are driven by curiosity, but behind their curiosity there are always dark elements, called ego, greed, pride etc. They always seem to discover something that destroys the former “discoveries”. If you carefully observer most of these “discovers”, you will notice them being unhealthy and unhappy. So, what is the use for spending so much time, money and resources if they are not even capable of taking care of themselves? There is a limit for human knowledge

Human knowledge, apart from God, is not only flawed, but the Bible also refers to it as worthless because it isn’t tempered by love (1 Corinthians 13:2). The knowledge man possesses tends to make one proud. “Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up” (1 Corinthians 8:1). Therefore, the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, without seeking God, is foolishness. “Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom . . . but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief” (Ecclesiastes 1:17-18). Worldly knowledge is a false knowledge which is opposed to the truth, and Paul urges us to “Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith” (1 Timothy 6:20-21). Human knowledge is opposed to God’s knowledge and therefore is no knowledge at all; rather, it is foolishness.

edit on 8-7-2012 by Methusalem969 because: correction

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

Using special relativity Einstein derived E=MC^2. That's huge!

General on the other hand has given us GPS yes. Helped us to properly calculate orbits such as in Mercury's.
We still have a way to go with "General" relativity since it doesn't place nicely with Quantum Physics but eventually I would expect to see more technological advancements from it.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Methusalem969

Funny how people knock science and mankind's quest for knowlede and quote scripture from some book if myths, all from their nice, modern computer over the Internet. Stop being such a Luddite.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by iskander683

It's not for YOUR benefit. Science never is. It is so that the Elites can figure out how GOD did what he did and become like him. Just like Lucifer did.It is just their attempt at becoming GOD and all of these small, insignificant feats (that science always updates and discredits themselves every 10 years), is really just them boasting to you that they will one day be like GOD. Which they will update 10 years later.....because it will never happen.

Science is like impromptu comedy, most of it is made up, Christians and anyone with a logical mind has a good laugh and as long as the artists are good impromptu showmen....they know there will be funding for yet another show....in this case from the government. They only get funding from the Gov't if they have answers, 10 years later there will be another answer to the same question and there will be more questions so they give more answers...just not the right ones, but they will tell people they are the right answers, to keep getting funding and people will blindly believe them because the scientists went to college and are funded by Gov't...the same Gov't that has lied to us for generations and has sold us out to the point of near extinction.

Why not trust their scientists...another day, another stupid decision that will ultimately destroy us all.

The Higgs-Boson is NOT the God particle. It is simply a name for a particle within a particle and this guy named "Higgs" wanted to be associated with the alleged God Particle because scientists have this real bad problem with ego and self acclamation. Everything they do is so life altering and important....it is to them and vicariously it is to wannabe scientists, many of which are right here on ATS. (you will see them respond negatively to posts like mine, that tell them that science is like infinitely walking in a circle and then finding a rock on the path and claiming it is a God particle or something that will make man like God.) Scientists are really not all that smart, they are only book smart and read the books from previously government funded wastes of time and space.
They only get good ratings and popularity because the media ALSO OWNED BY THE GOV'T makes them look good and the rest is well,..........all the believers of this are just retarded sheep who fall for everything simply because a scientist said it.

Here is sarcasm. Out of all the universes out side of our universe and all the trillions and trillions (if not more) planets and stars that stretch out beyond our human limit to detect them (and despite the last scientific report we did not find the edge of the universe you stupid scientist worshiping sheep), I am quite sure we found the God particle right here in our own back yard.

We humans, just like everything else we think we're so special that God would put the beginning of the universe within our irresponsible grasp so that we could do to the universe what we do to ourselves while playing with particles like children playing with ants.......we would then blow up the whole universe and everyone knows it.. It's just another particle...nothing more. Now let's hear from all of those wannabe scientists who think they know it all,yet are nothing but parrots repeating the same old hype from their insane scientists. Just another particle like the OP says and I agree with him. Big Deal.

In consideration of the cosmos, which I, with my limited human mind am able to percieve, yet there are those who say there is no God, but what makes me really angry is when they quote me for support of such views.... Albert Einstein

edit on 8-7-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Haha, that opinion is really well and truly ignorant!

Not one of the most helpful responses - especially to a first time poster. Anyhow as you admit to not being 'in the know' yourself and your response was mainly parrotted soundbytes, maybe you could take note of some of the more constructive replies.
edit on 8-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Methusalem969

"Fine, but what use it this discovery going to be to humankind?"

This was exactly my question when they announced it. Mind you, of course, most of these scientists are driven by curiosity, but behind their curiosity there are always dark elements, called ego, greed, pride etc. They always seem to discover something that destroys the former “discoveries”. If you carefully observer most of these “discovers”, you will notice them being unhealthy and unhappy. So, what is the use for spending so much time, money and resources if they are not even capable of taking care of themselves? There is a limit for human knowledge

Human knowledge, apart from God, is not only flawed, but the Bible also refers to it as worthless because it isn’t tempered by love (1 Corinthians 13:2). The knowledge man possesses tends to make one proud. “Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up” (1 Corinthians 8:1). Therefore, the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, without seeking God, is foolishness. “Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom . . . but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief” (Ecclesiastes 1:17-18). Worldly knowledge is a false knowledge which is opposed to the truth, and Paul urges us to “Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith” (1 Timothy 6:20-21). Human knowledge is opposed to God’s knowledge and therefore is no knowledge at all; rather, it is foolishness.

edit on 8-7-2012 by Methusalem969 because: correction

I wish I could down-star posts like this that bring religion into a scientific discussion.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

Thanks for clearing that up. I had always heard that's what the Higgs boson's function was.

So what exactly is the function of the Higgs boson?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The Higgs Boson is one of the most monumental discoveries in science ever.

Particle physicists belief it was a Higgs-like particle that set off the creation of our universe. By studying the Higgs Boson we can now look at how the universe was not only formed but what it was like before the Big Bang.

With a discovery like this we have massive sociological implications which can relate to completely disproving the standardized view of religions and the creation of the universe by a god/gods. Religious beliefs will otherwise cease to have any argument (as if it does already) which would include the whole "well you don't know what set off the big bang" and such.

But that is far from the most exciting possibilities when it comes to the discovery of the Higgs Boson.

With the Higgs Boson being what it is (Essentially the inadvisable property that holds all mass together), we are now able to have the potential of traveling inter-dimensionally, Traveling through time (backwards and forwards), we can now discover Worm-holes and gateways to other universes. We now how the ability to travel to parallel universes and to discover if all of these possibilities do in fact exist. All science within these fields point to the likely-hood of their existence, with the Higgs Boson we can confirm and potentiality use them.

The Higgs Boson will change the face of humanity as well as its future.

You Should Care.

edit on 8/7/12 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
FINALLY! someone taking the theoretical physicists to task!
these dudes spend $billions on ridiculous experiments, even
declaring a "god particle" exists... how in "god's" name do they know that?

most people are too overwhelmed by these dudes, just assuming
they "must" know what they talk about!

have the theoretical physicists actually produced even 1 commercial product
that has done anyone any good? of course not! they live in an ivory tower of their
own making, in a world of their own imagination...

50 years from now, these jackasses will be still be searching for ever small particles...
it's time to turn off the funding to these dudes so they'll need to get real jobs

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by arufon
FINALLY! someone taking the theoretical physicists to task!
these dudes spend $billions on ridiculous experiments, even
declaring a "god particle" exists... how in "god's" name do they know that?

most people are too overwhelmed by these dudes, just assuming
they "must" know what they talk about!

have the theoretical physicists actually produced even 1 commercial product
that has done anyone any good? of course not! they live in an ivory tower of their
own making, in a world of their own imagination...

50 years from now, these jackasses will be still be searching for ever small particles...
it's time to turn off the funding to these dudes so they'll need to get real jobs

This is nearly the most ignorant thing I have ever read on this site.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by arufon

Commercial applications to theoretical physics (keep in mind that physics is only theoretical until it is applied):
Satelites (all types, including SBTs, rockets and space flight, nanotechnology, silicon chips (PC's), electricity, solar power (all types of power), semi-conductors . . .

I'm sure I could go on, but you get the idea, right?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKmonster

Well the amount of which you do not care is directly proportional to how retarded you are. As the higgs boson particle will help to provide vital evidence which scientists have needed to support there various theories about the universe and quantum physics and the rest....

Many thanks for your very intelligent input. Not. I asked a pretty serious question about something which I was lacking knowledge about. I'm not retarded, by the way, and you comment is derogatory to say the least. You don't even know me.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
An example of what it could mean although only a game it shows exactly what could be done (in theory)

As the ship approaches the Mass Relay or in other words the Higgs Boson Relay it alters the mass of the ship and it's crew therefore the ship does not suffer any Mass or Gravitational limitations, so it may travel above and beyond the speed of light(in theory).
Blasting payloads into space from Earth will not require silly amounts of fuel or rockets.
No more heavy goods vehicles.
Flying Cars... lol Flying People...
Frictionless Motion.
The list is endless...
Practical uses that is..

p.s Time Travel....
edit on 8-7-2012 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
What good? Oh I dont know it could only be the first step to achieve faster than light travel you dumb $hit.

There seems to be no end to the low quality comments to my question. It's fine to say that 'it could be the first step to achieve faster than light travel' but, why follow it up with 'you dumb $hit' ?? Slightly unnecessary I think but if it makes you feel all big and tough then carry on.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Haha, that opinion is really well and truly ignorant!

I'm no scientist, but the fact its called the "God Partical" should give you a clue to how important it is!
They've been searching for this since they first discovered the Atom!

As I say, I'm not in the know, its on my to do list of things to study and understand..

But I think I may be correct in saying, its the thing that holds all things together!

The actual building block of life and mass.

Slowly but surely we are discovering how everything came to be.

Now... If only we could prove string theory..

That's all I know! But rest assured its a HUGE breakthrough, and a large STEP for MANKIND..

Appreciate it, I'm sure the scientist behind it have contributed more to life than you have

I appreciate your comment but saying that I'm well and truly ignorant betrays yourself as being ignorant as well.

Many other posters have taken you to task quite eloquently so I wont give you much more of my time. My one last comment will be - My contribution to life is probably greater than you can imagine.

I've probably contributed more to your quality of life and those of the population of the U.K. than you'll ever know. And yes, probably even more than your fabled scientist.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
What good? Oh I dont know it could only be the first step to achieve faster than light travel you dumb $hit.

There seems to be no end to the low quality comments to my question. It's fine to say that 'it could be the first step to achieve faster than light travel' but, why follow it up with 'you dumb $hit' ?? Slightly unnecessary I think but if it makes you feel all big and tough then carry on.

You kidding? Its as if you went like, "so we can generate our own electricity what do I care" . Then somebody made the lightbulb. Now Smartphones. Also you are the one who comes across trying to feel all big and tough with your opening post.

When Archimedes calculated the number PI mankind was still 2300 years away from manned space flight. Or any clue what it was good for. We were sure lucky there were no people around back then who went all like what is it good for. The higgs boson is something far more concrete and tangible than the number pi and while people probably saw little use for the number pi in 1638 before 'Merika manned space flight and many many other things simply would not be possible without the number pi. So quit saying dumb $hit when your betters do science.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join