It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaida linked fighters destroy 'end of the world' gate in Timbuktu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Al-Qaida linked fighters destroy

worldnews.msnbc. msn.com

World cultural body UNESCO was set to create a special fund to protect Mali's heritage on Tuesday after al-Qaida-linked Islamists attacked historic and religious landmarks in the city of Timbuktu for a third day, breaking down the door to a 15th century mosque that -- according to legend -- had to remain shut until the end of the world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3-7-2012 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This should be interesting to the 2012 beleivers.

Apparently "Terrorists" have destroyed a mosque that was not supposed to be opened till the end of the world.

If the "gate" had to remain shut till the end of the world, does that mean that the end of the world is imminent? Or does it just blow this superstition out of the water?

worldnews.msnbc. msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't understand, if the world had ended then how could they open it?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

And why would islamists desecrate a mosque?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Oh I see what they meant now...

"In legend, it is said that the main gate of Sidi Yahya mosque will not be opened until the last day (of the world)," Alpha Abdoulahi, the town imam, told Reuters by telephone.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

"And why would islamists desecrate a mosque?"

Why....In a nut shell pal, the answers organised religion and a low IQ i suspect.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

According to the article they destroyed it to "destroy the mistery" behind it. The mosque and the other sites are Sufi, and the islamists are a more modern version of Islam that does not believe the same thing.

Muslims don't like other Muslims that believe in slightly different versions of their own religion, apparently.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Indeed. Either it wasn't destroyed by Islamists or the Islamists who did this are completely lost in their ways.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
So... what was in it? I bet Chinese lanterns... they are always involved in everything!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
seems right on time to me.

about 5 days left.

imagine the looks on those guys' faces come sunday.

but to be fair, it would have happened even if the gate were still standing.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The 2012 angle aside, I just do hope this will be a clue to all people not to let any religious extremism rule or run anything that has to do with government.
I hope the people who run the mosque will be able to rebuild, and those responsible caught and punished.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

that's not going to happen for those people anytime soon.

their world has just ended, but many refuse to see this. just as the legend stated.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

What is significant about July 7?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

some believe it is the last day before Judgment Day, which is definitely Sunday.

the great thing about it is that it has nothing at all to do with religion...its just going to be the end of the war.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Do you know of any sources where I can read about this? Thanks in advance.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

just one...the Clerk of the Circuit Court in Cook County Illinois.

that's where the war was fought primarily...they have all the records on permanent file.

like I said, the end of the war is not about religion, its about what really happened.

knowledge of divorce and civil proceedings is all one needs when you are battling the demons of hell.

look at everything from the last 40 years or so and you'll know everything you need to know.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Michaelbrux
Things may not happen fast, but this sectarian violence can be stopped. It is the people who believe every one has the right live as they choose who must rise up under rule of law and stop the violent oppressors.
Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

just one...the Clerk of the Circuit Court in Cook County Illinois.

Could you please post a link or explain a little more how the seventh is the end of the world.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
More happenings from the peaceful religion I see..

WOW

Desecration of another persons religious artifacts is, IMO, a quick way to ensure a special place in Hell..

I simply can not see how everyone keeps defending them...

Semper

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
You see this is my problem.

These are NOT Al-Qaida.

My god, even the wikipedia page admits:

is accused of having links with Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and other Islamist groups, a splinter group which is led by his cousin Hamada Ag Hama. Ansar Dine wants the imposition of strict Sharia law across Mali.

ACCUSED, not confirmed, not linked. The media will do anything to scare you into thinking that there's still a big bad evil, organized threat out there. Instead of what this really is, a pissed off war lord with some guns.

Be weary of propaganda and emotionally charged rhetoric, that's all you'll find in the MSM. Especially MSNBC.

~Tenth

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join