It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic Image of Milky Way that took two years in the making

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skywalk
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

you cant look at the milky way because we are part of it, when will people understand this...

the only way we could look at the milky way is if we are right now still eating another galaxy that we had a tug of war with and we are still eating the smaller galaxy... and i doubt it is ...

so this isnt the milky way

It's debateable if we are part of the smaller galaxy or the Milky Way. Either way, you can look at the other parts of the Milky Way, obviously you couldn't see the whole of the galaxy though.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Wow, our universe is beautiful..I only wish it was possible to see the sky as clear as that where I live, it just puts into perspective how small we really are. The guy is a excellent photographer.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by skywalk

you cant look at the milky way because we are part of it, when will people understand this...

Can you look at the inside of your house when you are inside it? (Yes, I hope)

Of course, you can't look at all of the outside of your house when you are inside, but probably some if you sit near a window.

Either way, you are still looking at your house.

Either way, we can look at the Milky Way

edit on 27-6-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
So if that is an actual photo, how did the motion needed to follow the stars so that they are points not blur the landscape? Composite maybe.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Great photo, makes me feel like I am nothing in comparison with the universe. The universe is awesome! S/F.

-SAP-
edit on 27-6-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Superb image, nearly as good as this one from APOD

At the bottom right you can see M31 (Andromeda) our neighboring galaxy!

In the image (if you know what to look for) are the following :

M44
M41
M42
Barnards Loop
Rosette Nebula
M45
California Nebula
Pacman Nebula
Double Cluster (NGC869/884)
M33
M31

And probably a lot more ive missed out!

None the less, the OP image is amazing!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
probably the most beautifull thing ive ever seen thanks mate it just amazing. s&f
edit on 27-6-2012 by CONEDESTROYA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Two years in photoshop more like...

It's a composite of several shots (the reflections in the water don't match up with the sky)

Nice picture all the same.

EDIT - as an amateur photographer, I really do appreciate the amount of effort that goes into shots like these. Patience truly is a virtue for landscape photography.
edit on 27-6-2012 by BagBing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
Kind of like cooking something, you plan to cook it, have the recipe, and have to let something sit two hours, it still took you two hours to make it.

No, a better analogy would be that you plan to cook something, but first have to do nothing but wait two years before you find the rare ingredients in a shop.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
it was mentioned in the comments section on the link,
if you look closely at the stars, you will see a square pattern.
you can see it quite clearly in the link provided.
i know diddly-squat about photo-shop, but does this mean its been photoshopped?
why else would there be square patterns?
just an observation on an amazing photograph

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I suspect this post is just a thinly veiled excuse to mention god...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
reply to post by gravitational

Thanks for saving me the reading.
I was like Whahhhhh?!?! Two YEARS?!?!

I am a photographer and can not concieve of any way for a pic to take TWO years to make.
Cool pic though. I think that most people would be surprised at the quality of pics they could take of the milky way with their own cameras and a tripod.

I have plenty.
I'll post them sometime.
Pretty cool stuff.

I agree there's nothing about this particular photo that would require two years to make (other than waiting for timing to be "just right"), but some photos actually do require a great deal of time, like this photo of the entire sky that was taken over a year of time with 37440 individual exposures:
skysurvey.org...
I think this is the longest photograph ever taken (probably one of the longest at least), which was a 34 month exposure:
www.itchyi.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
And remember folks, all of that just for us Earthlings. So the kids can worship Bieber, Pop Idol, the Kardashians, Gaga, ect...... and the grownups can buy more pointless sh1t to feel superior to others and for the politicians to start wars to steal resources from the weak. It all seems so worth while.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BagBing
Two years in photoshop more like...

It's a composite of several shots (the reflections in the water don't match up with the sky)

Nice picture all the same.

EDIT - as an amateur photographer, I really do appreciate the amount of effort that goes into shots like these. Patience truly is a virtue for landscape photography.
edit on 27-6-2012 by BagBing because: (no reason given)

I was just about to say.

Could this picture have been completely digitally fabricated, and could we be being
conned here (again?)?

Well, this is a conspiracy site, isn't it?

I would imagine that it wouldn't be overly difficult to knock something like
this up pretty quickly with photoshop, no?

How could we tell if this was indeed the case? (reflection discrepancies maybe?).

I wouldn't put anything past anyone, anymore.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Thanks for sharing the photographer's link

Awesome. Just awesome

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
the best thing about this picture is that it reminds us that we are on the external branch of the galaxy! it took 2 years to get the perfect shot and yet.....its the sight of this majestic mass of gas, ionisation of those gas (as well as neutral gas) and the combination of all the surrounding star's illumination that makes us so small...sorry for my poor english grammar, but its so damn impressive!!! S&F for that post!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
what you see is mostly burning gas. the real show is here on earth.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Wow the vastness of space, one can really see how INSIGNIFICANT you all are........I mean, we are.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

What a surprise when I saw this picture and the description, I am native to Reunion Island

This island is truly beautiful, and even though this picture has been taken with a long exposure to better capture the light, I have seen the Milky Way with my naked eyes several times on clear nights. I even remember that I once could feel the rotation of the planet lying in the grass looking at the stars.
It is a sensational feeling, and I urge you all to go somewhere where you can see clearly enough to do so.

Peace all

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Still flabbergasted that some think mankind is the only intelligent life in this universe. To those people I say turn off the reality TV, get away from our puppet theater of a society, and go find a sight like this. Knowing a few astronomy and statistical facts will help too, but won't be needed.

Really nice photo. Thanks for sharing, s for you.
edit on 27-6-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join