It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic Image of Milky Way that took two years in the making

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OutonaLimb

You do realize that just because a picture like that creates a reflection, it doesn't mean it is mirrored. If you are going that far, where's the mountain on the reflection?
Ever think of distance, angles, altitude when it comes to reflections on water or anything reflecting light?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spore

God has blessed this universe with magnificent sights for us to behold.

There is no god.

lol!!

Way to screw up a perfectly innocent thred with your speculation, equal to the speculation of believers. At least keep such garbage in the "absolutists arguing back and forth about whether there is a god" section.

Fantastic image - now I need to check the galaxy map to see where exactly we are in it. We must be toward the outer edges, because it always looks like the center of the galaxy is "thataway.". And that said, it makes me wonder, development-wise, what if any the differences in stars/planets in general at different distances from the center are.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by skywalk
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

you cant look at the milky way because we are part of it, when will people understand this...

the only way we could look at the milky way is if we are right now still eating another galaxy that we had a tug of war with and we are still eating the smaller galaxy... and i doubt it is ...

so this isnt the milky way

There was a thread on here many moons ago about this exact theory. How much weight it holds is beyond me. It is very interesting none the less.

Lot's of cool pictures and stuff!!!

We’re Not From The Milky Way Galaxy! We’re Sagittarians, Say Scientists! What Of Earth's Future

BTW, what was the point in that link you posted?
edit on 28-6-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

I am new to ATS. Aren't we allowed to mention God?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CDN King
Does anyone have a bigger version of this or a similar picture for use as a desktop wallpaper? It's be much appreciated.

Right click and "set as background" and you have your wallpaper. I just did. It fills the whole screen and is beautiful.

Re: "This is not the Milky Way!"

Yes, it is. We are at the edge looking inward.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's amazing the beauty one can still find on our little rock on the edge of the galaxy. Seeing pictures like this makes one wonder the majesty of the night sky that our distant ancestors got to witness on a nightly basis, free from the light pollution of the modern metropolis. It's things like this that make me feel a longing to see more of this amazing Universe of ours.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
I read this week that scientists now believe that 80% of the known universe is composed of "DARK" matter. If that's true, why do all the space photographs contain so much light and bright matter?

It's hard to believe that we could be the only "intelligent" life-form isn't it? Would GOD create such a varied universe without giving it an abundance of life? After all, making gasses and rocks is probably boring.

-cwm
edit on 27-6-2012 by carewemust because: typo correction

Probably because we generally photograph the 1/5 that is light/bright matter. The other 4/5 would make for pretty boring viewing. Photos of vast swaths of black emptiness aren't very exciting.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

You're right. His photos are almost magical they are so surreal.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Stunning image! This shall be my wallpaper for awhile. That is one of the images that makes me bask in the insignificance of our blue marble.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join