It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord Achton:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Lord Achton(sp) had once stated:

Power tends to corrupt, absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely

This is lacking a philosophical spectrum, sort of like Niccolo Machiavelli's, "Prince".

Why does power tend to corrupt ?

Deep

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I think power corrupts the weak. Those who crave power, when they have it use it as a form of drug imo. The most basic part of the Human mind (reptilian r-complex) is the home for this power hungery lust. If you crave it you will most problery abuse it.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The road to power is a very long one, and there is huge competition to achieve power. The ones who make it into power do so because they have a very strong desire to have power. I don't think it is power that necessarily corrupts, but the lust and 'need' for power instead.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

This is lacking a philosophical spectrum, sort of like Niccolo Machiavelli's, "Prince".

Deep

It corrupts because of mankind's greed. Why greed? Because mankind believes in separation, in that, so they can add more to their own by taking away from another. This thought pattern is false. By taking from another leads only to the taking from one's self. Many powerful figures have seen this, when nothing seems enough, when they thing they have everything. By giving to another, you do the opposite, you add to yourself and that other. Everyone would be content if the world was selfless, but who are we kidding in today's day and age?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
hey guys, I luuuurve this thread. just thought I'd let ya know my point-o-view.

I tend to liken power to the 'Big Bad' in life called money.
2 be frank, my belief is that without a monetary system as we have in our society, then there would be very few chances for the strong to take any form of power in our world. Becuase lets be honest, unless you take the political route, then the only way to achieve true power is by achieving true wealth and the money to influence events, countries, governments and even a constitution. Look at what all this power and money has done to the Great and Free country of America. and like money, if yu have lots of it, its never enough. Once you have something like money or power which most politicians covet so feverently, you can never have enough and always get a taste for more. why do you think the super rich such as Bill Gates and all the super rich CEO's of the world still work??? Beacuase money and power are empty shells that dont provide fulfillment once you have attained them. We hear about people all the time saying, I wish I had a million dollars or I wish I was famous....I just wish to find love, more love than I ever have money or power, for its love that offers me the only true fulfillment in my life.
Ne feedback appreciated

Love, peace and happiness to you all

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Intresting post

I think people see power in different ways,if you dont mind me boring you with a short story?

I moved to Portugal from the u.k at age 21 with �1000 in my pocket,ive spent seven years building a buisness that no one said i could make work....It has.
I noticed that i seemed to have developed a kind of power over all the people that doubted what i was trying to achieve,they now come to me for buisness advice and think i have some great secret,i just give them my limited advice and they take it that,thats the right thing to do-i dont know if it is or isnt,its just what id do personally.
Because of the fact i drive a sports car,have a nice house etc,now when i enter restraunts,other peoples buisnesses,etc, people give me a slightly better treatment than they did say 4 years ago-if i recommend restraunts to people and they mention i sent them,they may get a free bottle of wine-i dont eat more expensiveley or eat there more often because of it nor have i changed at all in any way as regards the way i treat people.I find their behaviour bizzare.
Yet ive seen people with millions think that because of this they can command power where ever they go,demanding anything they want-this in my opinion doesnt work because of the lack of respect being shown to others.........................finally leading me on to the point of the story which is you can be considered powerfull in many different ways-you will only ultimatley keep this power with respect for all-this makes you powerfull-not money,not knowledge,not huge muscles..just basic respect and the ability to want to learn about others and their points of view.
People like Martin Luther King became powerfull because people respected him,because he respected all.

Just a point of view,regards

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

Deep

The two most important virtues for spiritual development and emotional stability are Purity and Humility. Selfless acts of Radiance and (to a lesser extent) physical acts of Compassion help us develop these qualities.

By definition, people of common spirituality have not cultivated Purity and Humility to any high degree. That is why most people are lusty, sexually irresponsible, highly competitive and egotistical.

In light of this, anyone who comes into any significant power and who is not highly evolved, stable in their growth, and experienced in maturely dealing with power, will invariably become corrupted by it, because it will only fuel their already egotistical and lusty natures.

Egotism and sleaziness are common traits among politicians who have come into significant power and who are not on a spiritual path.

Power corrupts most people because most people are of common spirituality and are not prepared to handle that power maturely and constructively.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7th_Chakra
I think power corrupts the weak. Those who crave power, when they have it use it as a form of drug imo. The most basic part of the Human mind (reptilian r-complex) is the home for this power hungery lust. If you crave it you will most problery abuse it.

You're quite right on the matter of Power being like a drug, and like a drug, some are more easily drawn to and much more easily addicted to it...
Just like any Junkie, will do ANYTHING to ANYONE to either maintain the level of the habit or increase the dose to make it that much more pleasurable.

Also, like any addict, the craving always remains. Whether or not they maintain that power, or lose it all, the craving always remains..The only thing that changes is the level of Power that person will let themselves be sated by. But, thats just my opinion on the matter....

[edit on 8-10-2004 by thethrall_nb]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb

Originally posted by 7th_Chakra

You're quite right on the matter of Power being like a drug, and like a drug, some are more easily drawn to and much more easily addicted to it...
Just like any Junkie, will do ANYTHING to ANYONE to either maintain the level of the habit or increase the dose to make it that much more pleasurable.

Also, like any addict, the craving always remains. Whether or not they maintain that power, or lose it all, the craving always remains..The only thing that changes is the level of Power that person will let themselves be sated by. But, thats just my opinion on the matter....

[edit on 8-10-2004 by thethrall_nb]

Your quite right 7th_Chraka, the Limbic (reptilian section) controls our, ie. humans', Baser drives. But 'weak' people do not monopolize this area...for anyone that wallows & thrives & chooses to be driven by the Baser (lower body) self, will covet power,greed,money,etc.

an exception to thethrall_nb opinion...is few & far-between, a rarity, but cases have been documented Where a corrupt, baser instinct driven person...has a sudden & life changing EPIPHANY...'they' become completely opposite of the kniving/treacherous/lying/stealing/pleasure indulging/hedonist/et al which characterized their personage....among others noteworthy in history was a man named Saul of Tarsus who transformed into Paul
(the Apostle)

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Power is often seen as independence, as not "needing" other people.

It leads to a "bunker mentality." It happens to nations, like Nazi Germany or fascist Italy. Sometimes a person or nation gets abused for so long that they think the only way to protect themselves is to create a "fortress" and attack everyone who might concieveably become a threat.

Funny that the original poster mentioned "The Prince." In it, Machiavelli warns against building forts. He says that fortresses cut you off from your people, forts insulate you from potential supporters. Machiavelli writes that there is no security in stone, but only in the lives of people who befriend you.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
power is not wether people will follow you when you have the gold, its if they will follow you when you dont have it. although it does seem like most people will follow the gold regardless, those are the ones who are off center. i think most peopls warped view on life itself, has a warping effect on who we grant the most power to. i.e. celebraties and their millions of dollars. i would like to hear anyone of them give a speech on humanity for an hour, wonder what is their take on the subject.

also when you have vast amounts of power isnt it sort of detrimental to developing a proper spiritual outlook? i mean when there are people willing to scarf down your feces for a couple grand, who needs to be a saint.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I think this can be answered very simply! Think about the "type" of person that "craves" power.....what "type" of person wants to rule everything...it's a certain mindset...sorta like the nasty cop that was bullied as a kid throughout school, but wanted to be the bully....grows up to become a police officer to throw his weight around......those types of people very easily become corrupted.

[edit on 10/9/2004 by LadyV]

top topics

join