It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Attempt to Detain a guy with a gun, Supervisor comes in ..Can i have my gun back Sir ? .. Yup !

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Ark005

He probably has a camera (which was most likely just a phone camera) and he probably knows these laws because he has probably been harassed multiple times by cops trying to overstep their god damn bounds. Are you aware that this happened in the United States right? But I bet you wish no one was allowed to carry guns, and you probably support the police who harass every single person who likes to carry a gun. This is exactly how they will phase out gun ownership, inch by inch they will take away your rights... first it starts by harassing everyone who carried a gun, until virtually no one carries a gun. Then they will say "oh well no one carries a gun anymore, lets just make it illegal to carry a gun". Your attitude is completely pathetic...

You couldn't be more wrong.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

If I had a 'license' to use an illegal substance and stood on the street using it, would you expect a cop to ignore me, or see if I actually did have a 'license'?

The guy was in a state where open carrying of a gun does not require a permit. And even if he did require a permit all he would have to do is show the police and they would be on their way (and I'm sure that's what he would have done because that's what the law would have compelled him to do). As he was not required to show any permit they had no grounds for detaining him in the first place because he had nothing to show. As he was clearly not suspected of any crime, there was no legal basis for not giving back his gun and there was no legal basis for keeping him there and wasting his time like that... as the Supervisor clearly knew, and so he was let go.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

The guy was in a state where open carrying of a gun does not require a permit....

OK thanks, I was thinking you needed a permit to open carry in every state? So why don't more people openly carry?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
As I understand the law, the cop was within his rights to demand ID. If not, all he had to say was that he had suspicion the guy might be a felon.

It is not illegal to openly carry a firearm (or 8 of them at once, for that matter, down the streets of Birmingham
) but it will get every cop within 5 miles on alert. Is that a violation of my rights? Nope. If stopped, I identify myself and explain why I am openly carrying a firearm. That cop doesn't know who I am, and is understandably scared. Where is the harm to me in defusing the situation?

Now, if there is an attempt to arrest me for carrying an open firearm, well, I suppose I would surrender the weapons (demanding a receipt of course) and comply. They have to let me out within 24 hours or charge me, and in either case I have access to a lawyer.

There are too many people trying this today IMHO. Too many who ride the edge of the law and taunt those charged with upholding it. They usually wind up making a mistake sooner or later, and find themselves in deep trouble because of it.

TheRedneck

I see it as a setup to get the cops. Who carries an open firearm and is ready to spouts off 4 or 5 different rulings as they walk down the street? The guy carrying the gun was an ass just trying to make a point by pushing what is typically not a society norm.. (carrying an open firearm down the street) This is coming from a guy with multi concealed licenses and an armory of weapons...hehe

I think the requirement to present ID when asked is state by state.

edit on 25-6-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

OK thanks, I was thinking you needed a permit to open carry in every state? So why don't more people openly carry?

Open carry pretty much limits you from entering any establishment, so I guess open carry would work if you just plan on hanging on your porch or street corner, but not much else.

That guy better be real good with the rules for there are a lot of them...like not being within 50 a school...every state has many different rules, and if the cops wanted to follow him he better know them all...hehe

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman
I think its ridiculous to allow a man to walk down the street with a firearm and not be able to request ID or a permit (assuming a permit is required).

I'm all of civilian rights, however, in Canada, the police are allowed to request identification regardless of if they suspect you of a crime. I think this is a safe practice ... and doesn't infringe on our rights.

The guy recording could have been a multitude of things ... criminal, escaped convict, not allowed to carry firearms ect. To be able to get away without identifying this individual is crazy.

So would you rather he "get off scott free" by quoting legal cases while open carrying, or "get off scott free" by just having his gun concealed?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

So why don't more people openly carry?

My guess is because they either don't see a reason to or they are scared of being harassed by police if they do. Anyone who wants to openly carry a gun around like this guy would do well to know the laws pertaining to that situation and the scenario of being detained by police, and that is clearly why this guy knew his rights.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
As I understand the law, the cop was within his rights to demand ID. If not, all he had to say was that he had suspicion the guy might be a felon.

In other words: All the cop had to do was lie and proceed to violate a citizen's rights after the cop got the dispatch that someone called in to report LEGAL ACTIVITY.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

The guy carrying the gun was an ass just trying to make a point by pushing what is typically not a society norm.. (carrying an open firearm down the street)

Oh so just because it's not the "norm" no one should do it huh?

See... the slowly boiling frog... inch by inch... your freedoms will disappear until you have none left.

Are you aware that this happened in the United States right? But I bet you wish no one was allowed to carry guns, and you probably support the police who harass every single person who likes to carry a gun. This is exactly how they will phase out gun ownership, inch by inch they will take away your rights... first it starts by harassing everyone who carried a gun, until virtually no one carries a gun. Then they will say "oh well no one carries a gun anymore, lets just make it illegal to carry a gun". Your attitude is completely pathetic...

edit on 25/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero[/i

I see it as a setup to get the cops. Who carries an open firearm and is ready to spouts off 4 or 5 different rulings as they walk down the street? The guy carrying the gun was an ass just trying to make a point by pushing what is typically not a society norm.. (carrying an open firearm down the street) This is coming from a guy with multi concealed licenses and an armory of weapons...hehe

I think the requirement to present ID when asked is state by state.

I would think that anyone who open carries would be able to spout off 4 or 5 different rulings. In fact, visit an open-carry gun forum and see for yourself and how much these people put up with just to exercise their rights.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ark005

reply to post by Ark005

Yeah and if they aren't familiar with the laws then they shouldn't be calling the damn police based on things they don't understand. And what kind of idiot doesn't realize it's perfectly legal to a carry a gun with a permit...

What, because he wouldn't provide his name or ID and wanted his gun back? Well guess what, he was stopped based on completely bogus grounds, they had no legal basis for taking his gun and requesting his ID. He had no reason to "comply" with their stupid ass commands because there was no legitimate legal reason for them to be issuing such commands. He was doing nothing except excerpting the rights given to him by the law of the land. If everyone were to simply do anything the police say, even when they have no valid legal basis, then the those laws protecting citizens may as well not exist.

2 words: Public Safety
If you openly have a gun and someone has called it in, they can detain you. If you haven't done anything wrong, they let you go. Simple as that.

... so you are pro detain on the basis of legal activity then?
edit on 25-6-2012 by WhatAreThey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Oh so just because it's not the "norm" no one should do it huh?

Yep you quoted me perfectly...geez...

Maybe I saw something different then you did...I saw a guy doing something that is not normal, (do you see people walking with a gun on their hip?) and a cop looked into it because other citizens reacted to it. The guy carrying the gun stood up for his rights and the cops basically agreed and gave his gun back and everyone went on their ways...

You see something different?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatAreThey
I would think that anyone who open carries would be able to spout off 4 or 5 different rulings. In fact, visit an open-carry gun forum and see for yourself and how much these people put up with just to exercise their rights.

Are the guys in the open carry forum as annoying as this guy was?

Once again, Who open carries? This guy most likely walked up and down the street (until some old lady called the cops and said there a man with a gun in the street) just to play his street corner lawyer game on some cop.

No one seriously open carries...give me a break.... Well they do in Alaska during Salmon season, but I don't think that was Alaska...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

No I saw the same thing, but you were clearly implying the guy was an "ass" and in the wrong because he was doing something that "is not normal". Just because it is not normal does not mean it is illegal, and that is the point here. They did absolutely nothing wrong, he said absolutely nothing wrong, and you people trying to some how claim he was "ass" because he chose to exercise his rights instead of complying to their bogus commands are completely naive.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

No I saw the same thing, but you were clearly implying the guy was an "ass" and in the wrong because he was doing something that "is not normal". Just because it is not normal does not mean it is illegal, and that is the point here. They did absolutely nothing wrong, he said absolutely nothing wrong, and you people trying to some how claim he was "ass" because he chose to exercise his rights instead of complying to their bogus commands are completely naive.

No he just sounded like an ass to me, not that he was carrying a open gun.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Yeah and I bet he and other people who open carry find it absolutely infuriating that they can't simply go about their business without being harassed when they haven't done a damn anything wrong. The only reason you interpret his actions as annoying is because he didn't comply with every command from the officers... in reality he had no reason to comply and his non-compliance in way indicates he was "annoying". As I've said several times now, if everyone just did everything the police say without knowing their rights, there would be no reason to have those rights in the first place, the fact this guy chose to exercise his rights gives a reason for them being there, they are there to be used by people who don't like being pushed around by thugs for no valid reason.

No one seriously open carries...give me a break....

You seriously didn't learn a god damn thing from my first reply did you? There's no helping you... don't expect me to reply to any other nonsense that you post.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Yeah and I bet he and other people who open carry find it absolutely infuriating that they can't simply go about their business without being harassed when they haven't done a damn anything wrong. The only reason you interpret his actions as annoying is because he didn't comply with every command from the officers... in reality he had no reason to comply and his non-compliance in way indicates he was "annoying". As I've said several times now, if everyone just did everything the police say without knowing their rights, there would be no reason to have those rights in the first place, the fact this guy chose to exercise his rights gives a reason for them being there, they are there to be used by people who don't like being pushed around by thugs for no valid reason.

No I don't think he needs to comply with the cop, he was still annoying though.

The only reason to open carry (other than places like Alaska) is to prove a point with the cops, and he proved his point...good on him...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ark005

Personally I would have just given him my ID, I have nothing to hide.

Yes, because stating that I would make things easier for myself means that I am one of the sheeple.

This is exactly why your country is going into the crapper at Mach speed. Just for a bit of convenience you are willing to let those in power do whatever they want to you and your country. The whole point about this is not about this going smoothly. It is about making the hard choices to uphold and exercise your rights so they are not dissolved.

This guy is awake and is a modern day hero for going through the stresses of defending the peoples rights, so I suggest you grow a pair and do the same. It's not difficult. I've been asked for ID on many occasions and refused. Not because I had something to hide but because I know that if we don't exercise our rights then they will disappear and there are so few people who do exercise their rights that we face a serious threat of rights extinction.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not. The video was in Portland Oregon. The laws here allow open carry loaded without permit.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
Only in America.

What a scary place. Thank god I live in a country where it is illegal to carry a weapon.

Only in America.

What a wonderful place. Thank god I live in a country where it is legal to carry a weapon.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join