It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Attempt to Detain a guy with a gun, Supervisor comes in ..Can i have my gun back Sir ? .. Yup !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I find this video hilarious and im surprise we still have such rights protecting our freedom

to walk free in the streets with a gun on the belt

The rookie cop really tries to detain the guy after tooking his gun
the cop tries to have the guys identify card and even his first name .. but couldnt lol
the guy then request the cop supervisor....
he arrive on the "crime scene" and it take 5 seconds
Am I free to go sir ? yes
Can i have my gun back ? yuup

VIDEO Link to Liveleak

Im surprise the supervisor didnt back his rookie cop
is the law very strick about this ?
you cant arrest anyone walking with a gun in the streets without a clear reason to suspect him ????

This is not Newyork where the cops would smack the guy down in the ground in seconds
it probably happened in Texas or Lousiana lol
edit on 6/24/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
He was detained, I saw no attempt at an arrest..... There is a difference, you know.

That said, this guy was completely within his rights, as far as I can see, to be carrying that gun.

So, good for him, for practicing and enforcing his rights as a citizen.

Vote Truth_2012
edit on 24-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
He was detained, I saw no attempt at an arrest..... There is a difference, you know.

That said, this guy was completely within his rights, as far as I can see, to be carrying that gun.

So, good for him, for practicing and enforcing his rights as a citizen.

Vote Truth_2012

Title corrected .. thanks

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

No worries, buddy.

Forgot to say

S&F

This video is bound to make for a great discussion.

Vote Truth_2012

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This Video made me smile.

Good thing to see Cops being reasonable and understanding when they accidentally do something wrong. Too bad it took a lot of knowledge on the part of the "victim" to get out of this mess though, this knowledge should be known by the cops in the first place to avoid unneccesary tax dollars being spent on messes like this, and many times even causing escalations.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This guy goes out of his way to do this though, I mean good on him for standing up to the cops but is there a motive to it? Is he using this as an educational video or is he waiting for the police to slip up so he can file a lawsuit? I know it's not illegal to do what he does but this is the 2nd video of the same guy doing the same thing that i saw...... No doubt carrying a rifle on your back out in the open like that is gonna get the cops called on you either way....

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

location, location, location....
some places he would be dead first!
how many patrol cars could get there, how many dogs could get a bite?
Want to see it tried in different cities, states, times of day.
But for sure big balls...
Thanks for the post should give us all some hope.
But please don't try this at home...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
reply to post by Ben81

No worries, buddy.

Forgot to say

S&F

This video is bound to make for a great discussion.

yeah it will create a 2 sided debate for sure.. the usual on ATS

on why the supersivor didnt back up his collegue cop on this
if i was a cop i would check everyone identity especially guys with guns showing it on their belt

btw Still vote for you has GST FOR REGENT

little bit of publicity sometimes is good

TRUTH_2012

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
That. Is. Awesome.

I'm assuming this is a law student with a chip on his shoulder? Highly unlikely he's just a normal schmuck that randomly knows a lot of different court case decisions....

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The guys filming this seems like he set this up knowing how people and the police would react.
I would agree with the police on this one.
Someone walking down the street will scare people who aren't familiar with the laws will call it in. The police are required to respond any safety issue. But the officer acted as I would expect a decent person to act.
That being said the person filming seemed a little on the confrontational side, like he was trying to get a specific response from the officer. These types of people are as much a problem as the over zealous cops out there.
How many people walk outside with a gun and a camcorder for fun?
With his attitude I think both his gun and his camera should be taken away.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
By the look on the supervisors face, I think the only thing that saved him was quoting legal cases. Had he just said your not allowed to detain me, without the multiple references, I bet he would have been slammed to the ground.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think its ridiculous to allow a man to walk down the street with a firearm and not be able to request ID or a permit (assuming a permit is required).

I'm all of civilian rights, however, in Canada, the police are allowed to request identification regardless of if they suspect you of a crime. I think this is a safe practice ... and doesn't infringe on our rights.

The guy recording could have been a multitude of things ... criminal, escaped convict, not allowed to carry firearms ect. To be able to get away without identifying this individual is crazy.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Only in America.

What a scary place. Thank god I live in a country where it is illegal to carry a weapon.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Citing cases and laws doesn't help even if you are right. You could be making it up for all they know.
Afterward yeah, you could sue or something, but this was a little less dramatic than what the person wanted. I think the supervisor knew the open carry law and since the guy didn't actually do anything wrong decided to let him go. I have been stopped before for carrying my pistol in the open and I let the officers run my info. Guess what, nothing happened. All they said was that carrying in the open puts people on edge and I should try to not making it a habit of doing so or I would have more moments like it. As I commented before I think the film maker was trying to get a response out of them and failed.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

Would you want to be stopped at any time, for any reason, just because you "might" be a criminal?

There is a very good reason police need reasonable suspicion to detain someone. It keeps them from becoming oppressive.

Carrying a firearm is not illegal where this video was filled, so the cop had no buisness stopping this person. Having a firearm does not make you a criminal anymore than having a cheeseburger makes you a criminal.

I am glad there are people who open carry like this, people who know the law and know their rights. Its not a bad thing to keep the police in check from time to time. Laws are in place to protect us, not just from "criminals", but from the police also.

Should people carrying a firearm be held to a higher standard? Yes
Should people carrying a firearm lose any of their rights? Hell no.

DC

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ark005
reply to post by Wolf321

Citing cases and laws doesn't help even if you are right. You could be making it up for all they know.
Afterward yeah, you could sue or something, but this was a little less dramatic than what the person wanted. I think the supervisor knew the open carry law and since the guy didn't actually do anything wrong decided to let him go. I have been stopped before for carrying my pistol in the open and I let the officers run my info. Guess what, nothing happened. All they said was that carrying in the open puts people on edge and I should try to not making it a habit of doing so or I would have more moments like it. As I commented before I think the film maker was trying to get a response out of them and failed.

I am sure that confrontation would have gone a lot different if you had a warrant for a unpaid fine or something.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Yes, it would have. They would be required to arrest him for the warrant. And I think the film-maker would have resisted thinking that he was untouchable. Like I said before, citing cases and laws really means nothing, the police are there (in theory) to protect the public, and uphold the laws. Police can stop people to ensure that, even more so if there has been a call for something in the area.
I really think people should stop doing things like this. It's not helping the situation at all.
How many times do you think someone can keep their cool when they encounter someone who 1) has no apparent respect for law enforcement, 2) thinks he knows everything about the situation he is causing, and 3) is acting obviously confrontational.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ark005

I can't say what the intent of the man was, but I would bet that he would have been more than happy to have an incident to bring the lack of knowledge and treatment of the cops to the public's attention.

While I am all for open carry, it is this sort of incident that seems to be a case for concealed carry without a permit. There is no difference in carry except that when carrying open, the uneducated or conditioned masses react and then take up police resources.

I hope that the cops use this incident as a teachable moment. I would also like to see the cops question the callers a bit. Inform them of the legal right to open carry and then question if knowing that, the behavior or manner being carried suggest a dangerous or threatening individual.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ark005
reply to post by Wolf321

Yes .. resisting of showing your identity and even your first name will bring more questions
you will look suspicious and then they will take their chances to detain you for 48 hrs
the rookie made the good call here

We never know this guy could have been a nutjob going to kill someone with it
and they just let it through freely .. better fired before then after
if you know what i mean

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I have agree with you on this entirely. If the dispatch had gotten the information that it was simply a man with a gun walking down the street doing nothing threatening, this could have been avoided. And I also agree that there should be more freedom with this subject.
Before anyone wants to argue about the safety issue of giving all kinds of people guns I want to say that I believe that the only people who shouldn't have guns are those who have been convicted of VIOLENT crimes.
That all being said, I again want to point out how many people just walk around town with a gun and a camera while they know (conveniently) about all kinds of carry laws and cases?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join