It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starving Greeks queue for food in their thousands

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This is exactly the same in the USA, and has been for YEARS.

Starving Americans line up around the block for their welfare cheques, and then again at grocery stores with food stamps and at food banks when the stamps run out.

What makes Greece so special when the supposed "richest nation in the world" have starving people lying in the street?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
You know... before the Euros started, I was wondering if there would be any Greek fans there. I was wondering how the Greek FA was gonna be able to fly their boys and house them n everything. Then the tourny started and I saw a bunch of Greek fans and I started thinking... so are things not that bad in Greece? How is it that people are starving in Greece yet there's fans at the Euros living it up? The Euros are not cheap by any means. Tickets and lodging are ridiculous.

I was wondering the same thing, how all these Greeks could afford to travel to support their team if things were really so bad.

Let's see what happens at the Olympics. The UK pound is much, much stronger than the Euro.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvillerBob

Originally posted by draco49...I too require daily medications and was able to put together a one year supply after discussing the matter with my doctor. It's not impossible. It just takes proper planning.

You mean "not impossible for you". I cannot imagine a doctor in the UK who would help with providing a supply like that. Perhaps it happens but it would certainly be the exception not the rule.

Different cultures, different approaches.

I am Dutch and I can't get meds ahead, unless for a pressing reason like travel!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Europe is used to a warm, soft and fluffy life.

YES! And this should apply to the whole world instead of just parts. Europe needs to stay warm, fluffy and soft. Or do you propose to go back to brutal times like living in an Ice Age?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
This is exactly the same in the USA, and has been for YEARS.

Starving Americans line up around the block for their welfare cheques, and then again at grocery stores with food stamps and at food banks when the stamps run out.

What makes Greece so special when the supposed "richest nation in the world" have starving people lying in the street?

But this has NOT been the case in Europa, not even in Ireland or Portugal.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
I am Dutch and I can't get meds ahead, unless for a pressing reason like travel!

It's not much different here in the US when it comes to controlled substances (Schedule II & III), but the rules regarding non-controlled substances (Schedule IV) are much more lax and negotiable with your physician.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Has it really come to this? The threat of starvation in modern Europe? Other reports of this crisis-wracked nation also say medicine and other staples are becoming impossible to come by.

I didn't see anyone in the article who looked as if they are at any imminent risk of starvation, actually there were some who were quite the opposite.

Ultimately the people will pay, not the government or politicians, for the policies that allowed or even encouraged this situation to come about. The US will be there soon enough, most of the people collecting Social Security are living long past the money they paid in so their kids and grandkids are paying their benefits now rather than paying into a fund for their own retirement.

As constituents we often vote for the one doling out the most benefits, benefits they don't have to pay for. I'm shocked at how many people think the government pays for things.

Personally, I would be happy to be in their situation if we elected Ron Paul and he was able to push through very drastic austerity measures. We can't survive "business as usual" and at least doing that we would have a shot at leaving our kids and grandkids something other than an insurmountable pile of bills for what we spent
edit on 22-6-2012 by KaiserSoze because: Charlie bit me

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by conspiracy88
You know... before the Euros started, I was wondering if there would be any Greek fans there. I was wondering how the Greek FA was gonna be able to fly their boys and house them n everything. Then the tourny started and I saw a bunch of Greek fans and I started thinking... so are things not that bad in Greece? How is it that people are starving in Greece yet there's fans at the Euros living it up? The Euros are not cheap by any means. Tickets and lodging are ridiculous.

I was wondering the same thing, how all these Greeks could afford to travel to support their team if things were really so bad.

Let's see what happens at the Olympics. The UK pound is much, much stronger than the Euro.

Perhaps those who can afford to travel to support their team are NOT the poor ones?
Not the majority?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The article is from the Daily Mail and I can't stress that enough.Those people are there for the free handout not because they are starving.Can someone who is actually from Greece say something about this?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Man o Man i love the how international social media outlets work. Look people, the Hellenic citizens have been hit hard and below the belly with austerity measures, but this kinda of stunt is prefabricated for internal political use and as expected its been reproduced throughout the world for an obvious purpose..it being political change under a pretense that all is going to change but infact nothing changes. The banks are still earning high interest on loans and austerity measures are still in place and expected to expand into further sectors. With the current tax per business reaching 47%, it is estimated that it will reach just above 52% of total income after taxes

What the members of ATS should ask themselves is why would they do this right after the elections since the austerity measures have been in place for well over 2.5 years ? , so i ask again, why promote such a campaign ?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Europe is used to a warm, soft and fluffy life.

YES! And this should apply to the whole world instead of just parts. Europe needs to stay warm, fluffy and soft. Or do you propose to go back to brutal times like living in an Ice Age?

I was noting that our definition of starving is very different because we are not used to the same levels of hardship.

It's nice to have the chance to be warm, fluffy and soft, but at what cost? Should we keep people so heavily seperated from reality that they are unprepared for even the slightest problem? I'd love my daughters to grow up without ever having to worry about where their next meal is coming from, but for all that wishing I'm still going to make sure they know how to grow things in the garden, how to cook and prepare food and how to work with what they've got.

"Warm, soft and fluffy" is an artificial state that can only exist because of the underlying hard work and pragmatism of the people who actually produce. Much in the same way that your peace and liberty only exist when guaranteed by rough men willing to do violence on your behalf. Wanting to enjoy the one without willing to be the other is probably the central problem leading to the current economic crisis.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Speaking of that, it is worth mentioning that there are also in Sweden nowadays long and winding lines to the Church, as that is the only chance for many people to get a meal of food. Something that has not been seen since the older days of Sweden.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild

Speaking of that, it is worth mentioning that there are also in Sweden nowadays long and winding lines to the Church, as that is the only chance for many people to get a meal of food. Something that has not been seen since the older days of Sweden.

Nightchild, sadly these type of images will become so normal in the upcoming years that people will slowly be commenting in the form of " yes so were is the problem if people line up for food " ...!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

True we have food banks here too. Yet the medication situation is as far as I know unique.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

Not having food or enough is hardship. And I disagree your notion that to have something good others need to be abused.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is insane that in a country with one of the most calm climates in the world, in the cradle of civilization, that everyone is not growing food. Please investigate the practice of aquaculture which can work anywhere, even on concrete or the desert and uses 10% of the water of other farming methods without the need for backbreaking soil tilling. Basically you grow fish in a barrel or pond, pump the fish water (now full of nutrients the plants need) thru racks with floating plants on them and then the filtered water goes back to the fish. There's a guy in Ohio growing a million pounds of food a year on 3 acres, and he's using donated brewery refuse as compost to grow worms to feed the fish, and as a heat sink to warm the water in the wintertime. It's a closed loop system and incredibly efficient. A variety of food can be grown including greens, vegetables, and some fruits and berries. Youtube has dozens of videos about how to do it, and there are aquaculture clubs popping up all over the place. It can be scaled from an apartment patio, to a suburban lot, to using urban parking lots and school and church yards (as a community teaching method). If you don't want to harvest the fish, you can use goldfish or koi.

If fresh water is a concern, investigate fog water collectors:
www.wateraid.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Starving Greeks queue for food in their thousands

www. dailymail.co.uk

Starving Greeks queued around the block for free food handouts yesterday as the country's politicians managed to end a crippling stalemate to form a coalition government

"Free food handouts"

Yep, people please take this as an example of what happens when everyone wants everything for free. You dont want to pay taxes and work hard? Pay your bills? Then shut up and go get in the bread line and wait your turn

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DutchBigBoy
The money lended (given, we won't get it back) to them is used for the banks of not going bankrupt. because of the ongoing bankrun.

The banks created this crisis and are also doing nothing to solve this crisis. They don't want it to be solved. The crisis is a good money income for the banks. They don't care about the starving people.

Just as what happened here in the US with the banks when they got their bailout as well. This to me is absolute proof that the banks have no real money to begin with at all. The banks use our money to make money that they hide or horde. They were to give loans to get the economy going but when they got the bailout..they just kept the money and did nothing. In essence we were blackmailed by the banks.They same thing is happening all over again in Greece. The root problem are the Central Banks of this world operating and controlling everything.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
the voting population of Greece is just where the elite-banksters-oiliarches want them...
vote to keep bailouts coming to pay the interest on the last bailout... a never ending closed system of poverty & subsistance Quality of life (for the masses)

i see 7%-9% bonds continuing to infinity, to pay the debt and never pay down the principal...a long range trend where everyone but the circle of elite are nothing more than serfs and tenant farmers on the lands & resources of the cabal of elites (modern aristocracy)
and the peasants are given rationed useage of water & electricity and some token foodstuffs for the 'proper Vote'
when the voting cycles come around...

the 21st century dark ages indeed

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
greece vs germany today! if greece could pull off an upset they will go crazy!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join