It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starving Greeks queue for food in their thousands

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Is it really that difficult to stash away extra rice, beans, and canned goods each month? For about $10 a month, I buy an extra 5lbs of rice, 3lbs of dried beans, and a dozen cans of fruits and vegetables just in case something happens. At this point, I've got enough food to get me through an entire year if need be. If people would just employ some basic preparation strategies, standing in a huge public line for food hand-outs wouldn't be necessary.

Right, guarding your stockpile with your life would be necessary instead.

A year's worth of food, supplies, clothing, and water filtration equipment fits neatly in the back of my SUV (along with 30 gallons of reserve fuel). When things go bad, I'll just head into the mountains and set up camp. I won't need to guard my supplies with my life... I've got plenty of ammunition.

Yeah but you gotta sleep sometime

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Are you people really shocked by this? Did you not see it coming? I knew this would happen a year ago ...

Next is all of Europe ... and then .... America. The economic failures are planned. It is how the NWO will come into being.

This isn't the fault of poor people. This is caused by the gambling of mega banks. Again it is planned.
edit on 22-6-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird

Originally posted by babybunnies
This is exactly the same in the USA, and has been for YEARS.

Starving Americans line up around the block for their welfare cheques, and then again at grocery stores with food stamps and at food banks when the stamps run out.

What makes Greece so special when the supposed "richest nation in the world" have starving people lying in the street?

But this has NOT been the case in Europa, not even in Ireland or Portugal.

Actually, for a lot of Irish citizens, things are getting pretty tight. This family was living on bread and cereals, trying to pay off mortgage debt. This is the story of a lot of people, not only in Ireland but also in the UK.

People who were once too proud to shop in cheap grocery stores such as Lidl or Aldi (both German chains, ironically), are now showing up during the last 20 minutes of closing time and fighting over the scraps left in the clearance sales at the end of each day. Meanwhile, the lowest of the low scrabble in the dumpsters out back, trying to find some food for their families. They can't even afford to buy in the clearance sales. This is a common sight here, these days.

That being said, the stores do intentionally leave out the food in 'clean' bins, keeping in mind that people will be taking it home.

Thank God for small mercies.

edit on 22-6-2012 by ParaZep because: typos

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have no doubt at all that somewhere in the world there are bunch of business men sat around carefully thinking how they'll profit from Greece's economic collapse. Though what scares me is how this could easily be any other country..

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Has it really come to this? The threat of starvation in modern Europe? Other reports of this crisis-wracked nation also say medicine and other staples are becoming impossible to come by.

This is nothing compared to what the UN and the elites want for ALL OF US...

Have you read the new "UN Climate Draft Mandate"?...

These idiots now want to give "Earth rights to sue THE WEST", and btw, it won't be "the rich paying for this" it will be the regular people... And of course the UN doesn't have to say in what they will be spending the 100 billions a year that they are also "demanding from the west"...

Not to mention that they want to lower atmospheric CO2 levels to around 190 ppm - 210 ppm which will stunt most plant-life on Earth as well as yields/harvests... This will mean worldwide starvation at levels never seen before...

I swear it, the idiocy of the world leaders and so called "AGW believers" is just stunning...

edit on 22-6-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekingAlpha
Not to get political, but if Ron Paul was to be elected and is able to push through his drastic spending cuts, we would be just like Greece right now.

So if Ron Paul were to win and implement CUTS, including taxes, BAILOUTS, etc we would be like Greece?... Really? and what EVIDENCE do you have to substantiate such DRIBBLE?...

If Ron Paul were to win we would get rid of the Feds, massive taxation, most corrupt politicians in the White House, not to mention that at least we would be starting paying off our debt finally instead of just interest...

You got it backwards buddy...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Greece is just the start...

link   
The leader of Germany is juming up and down in her seat in a football stadium appluading the german football team beat the Greece football team.

link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird

And I disagree your notion that to have something good others need to be abused.

I'm glad you disagree with the notion. So do I. That's why I didn't say it.

My notion is that to have something, somebody needs to work for it. A soft and fluffy world where everyone has enough food still requires someone to be working out in the fields to produce the food. When you walk into a supermarket and see the shelves filled with cheap and plentiful food... where exactly did you think that food came from? In order to make a soft and fluffy world for you, someone else has to be working hard. Not slave labour, just honest paid labour - though many of the luxury items and electronic goods are made in conditions that we would call slave labour if they happened here in the west.

If you genuinely consider that hard work is an "abuse" then I think we might have hit the core of the problem...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Is it really that difficult to stash away extra rice, beans, and canned goods each month? For about $10 a month, I buy an extra 5lbs of rice, 3lbs of dried beans, and a dozen cans of fruits and vegetables just in case something happens. At this point, I've got enough food to get me through an entire year if need be. If people would just employ some basic preparation strategies, standing in a huge public line for food hand-outs wouldn't be necessary.

Right, guarding your stockpile with your life would be necessary instead.

A year's worth of food, supplies, clothing, and water filtration equipment fits neatly in the back of my SUV (along with 30 gallons of reserve fuel). When things go bad, I'll just head into the mountains and set up camp. I won't need to guard my supplies with my life... I've got plenty of ammunition.

1 years worth of Food, Supplies, Clothing, and Water filtration equip in your SUV, I just dont see it fitting, but good luck. I have about 6 months supply of food, for 3 people ,and a lot of space is required for this, I guess it comes down to what your supplies are, Luckily all my shelter is built at home with a deep well, 6 solar panels, 10-Trojan T105 batteries, my 2 windmills, Charge controllers, inverters, not including all the supplies to keep meat perserved, and dehydrated. And my 4-50 gallon drums of water, Its starts to add up quick, and I havent even got to my weapons, ammo, etc..... Plan smart, if you do bug out

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
I have no doubt at all that somewhere in the world there are bunch of business men sat around carefully thinking how they'll profit from Greece's economic collapse. Though what scares me is how this could easily be any other country..

It will be almost every western country ...

They want Americans and Europeans on their knees begging for a solution. And trust me the great masses will demand a solution from the very people who caused the problem in the first place. That's why it is happening ...

Problem - Reaction - Solution

TPTB want to give us the NWO as a solution to the collapse they engineered ...

edit on 22-6-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

'Greece shares some of the blame for taking on too much debt and unrealistic spending/pension schemes'

This sounds exactly like the US, and we will be in the same situation soon thanks to a do nothing Congress taking the lead on a do nothing President. (I forgot, he does like to golf and vacation a lot when not campaigning).

edit on 22-6-2012 by eagledriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

People here in the US have no idea how bad it is in Greece right now. Comparatively speaking, although our jobless rate is high (for American standards) our society as a whole is still staying afloat.

In Greece, just to see a glimpse of their financial devastation, over 60% (A HUGE PERCENTAGE) of the population have not paid their electricity bill in over 3 months.

These people are so broke that they can't even pay their utility bills. That's how bad it is over there right now.

Not to get political, but if Ron Paul was to be elected and is able to push through his drastic spending cuts, we would be just like Greece right now.

Replaying the economics of 1932 (liquidationist debt-deflation connected to a gold standard --- replaced by the euro) leads to the politics of 1938.

In reality, in the Depression the countries which unpegged from the gold standard first turned out better. Being pegged to the German euro is economically exactly the same for Greece.

edit on 22-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's not that bad in Greece, at least not in Athens. My Girlfriend was JUST there and she said you couldn't see any sign that it wasn't business as usual. People working, people in restaurants and cafes, no riots, no soup kitchens.

Is Greece really in that much trouble?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

So if Ron Paul were to win and implement CUTS, including taxes, BAILOUTS, etc we would be like Greece?... Really? and what EVIDENCE do you have to substantiate such DRIBBLE?...

If Ron Paul were to win we would get rid of the Feds, massive taxation, most corrupt politicians in the White House, not to mention that at least we would be starting paying off our debt finally instead of just interest...

You got it backwards buddy...

No, massive cuts and deflation to pay back the ECB in euros is economically the same.

Massive debt can't be paid back. The legitimate solutions are harsh: default or inflation. What's happening is worse, collapse followed by enslavement. When the economy has collapsed nobody is working and can't produce anything to even try to pay off the debt. Suppose you had a factory in big debt. If you're an investor you want the factory to run balls out to produce as much as it can to get some revenue. The opposite is to fire all the employees and gut the machinery, and then complain that the production is down, and STILL keep the debt on the employees of the factory. That is the situation in Greece.

Humans consume resources by being alive---if they are unemployed it is just a waste. Wealth is created by humans working => it is essential to have them work and do whatever is necessary to get people to work. Monetary units are an accounting convenience, think of the real world of atoms. Humans move atoms from materials to products with labor, that's what matters.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I would love to see Greece wise up like Iceland and tell the corrupt bankers where to shove their loans.

Um, you do realize after Icelands crisis of 2008, they actually enacted and followed through with austerity measures, right? Telling bankers to go to hell only goes so far, you also need to clean up your own act. Greece is still running massive deficits.

And Iceland is by no means in the clear. Their economy is still struggling, and they may again go into recession.
edit on 22-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

People here in the US have no idea how bad it is in Greece right now. Comparatively speaking, although our jobless rate is high (for American standards) our society as a whole is still staying afloat.

In Greece, just to see a glimpse of their financial devastation, over 60% (A HUGE PERCENTAGE) of the population have not paid their electricity bill in over 3 months.

These people are so broke that they can't even pay their utility bills. That's how bad it is over there right now.

Americans like you have no idea how bad things are in the United States. Keep living in your fantasy world.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Im not sure about the Ron Paul sequence of events you postulate (still plausible)
but my relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) in Gr are in a constant state of fear
and anxiety. They've all stuffed dollar bills we would bring them under mattresses
for 30 years, but even those will run out. They don't go out at night. Crime has
skyrocketed. Middle class victims (of Goldman Sachs' pandering credit like crack
to children) are in dumpsters feeding every night.

I've been reprimanded everywhere when I post "Don't think it couldn't happen here (US)"
by many financial industry types who quote market and monetary theory and practice,
stating the US is not at all similar....

We're not? War is AGAIN looming on the plains of Syria and Iran. That costs $$$$.
Our Federal Reserve is quite an interesting organ of debt, born out of past financial
tsunamis. The BRIC's hold our debt, along with a very indebted Japan. The EU may
break up. Debt shock waves would travel here like another financial tsunami.

I'm just a bit shocked and embarassed that the little mediterranean country my
parents came from to escape a postwar depression, could possibly throw the
globe into depression because of the derivative debt house of cards.
Amazing.
edit on 6/22/2012 by drphilxr because: more added

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

This is going to be more than just a year ride here, but I do understand what you are saying as well.
Be prepared as best you can is a good thing.

This sounds to me like it really should be called a depression and no other title will explain the misery there at this moment in time.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Not to get political, but if the US does NOT slash expenditure, it will be far worse in a few more months thatn it has ever been in Greece.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join