It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentary about rape in the US military changes government policy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Originally posted by Viking9019
Over half of these rapes ar committed by African Americans.............which is no surprise.

Can you back this up please?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I can't believe anyone could honestly think there's no difference between being raped by The Enemy and being raped by one's own Brothers In Arms. A service member should not have to guard against their own people. So which is it? No women because male soldiers might try too hard to protect them or no women because they might get raped by their fellow soldiers?

So disappointing when men try to give rapists a pass for any reason. They tried to serve their country alongside men. Of course they should expect to be raped and just accept it. Disgraceful.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Best way to fix this ... dont allow women into the Military , or men. Either way

2nd.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Don't blame the soldiers, blame the system that allows the action.

Or maybe, just maybe, we should blame those who are actually doing wrong?

You racist, filthy, piece of trash.

You think rape and being "illegal" is even in the same ballpark? Such idiocy. You are an idiot. Good luck breathing.

Worthless excuse for a human being you are.

And the person that gave you a star too. What a retard.
edit on 20-6-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)
Obviously this topic is beyond your comprehension(I am sorry, is that word too big for you to understand?), the point I was making to tenth was that in one topic s/he refused to hold individuals(this word means 1 person) responsible for their actions while in another thread she refused to blame the system and placed blame entirely on the individual. Point being, that individuals(single persons, remember?) are actually to blame in both cases. The systems may be flawed, but the individuals are the ones doing wrong.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
The systems may be flawed, but the individuals are the ones doing wrong.

I agree. Just as with the other example, BOTH are at fault. The individual first. But the system is just as guilty for perpetuating, allowing the behavior to continue and even covering it up when necessary.

It's the same with the Catholic Church and the scumbag priests who diddle little boys. The priests are guilty as hell, but so is the Catholic Church, for their part in allowing it to continue. There's plenty of blame to go around.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the men not being able to control their testosterone with women around, that just means they're weak. The simple fact that the majority of military men make it through without assaulting and violating their fellow officers is a testament to the fact that it can be easily done. Most do it. Those who would make excuses for men raping are as bad as the rapists.
edit on 6/20/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
ITT: People with no reading comprehension.

Where did anyone advocate rape?
Where did anyone say rape is okay?
Whooooole lotta people don't realize that dressing like a hooker can get you treated like one. Not saying it's right- but it happens.

Regardless of nationality- so you US Military / USA hating tools can shove it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
People are beautiful. Stop abusing them with war, rape, violence, and insults. I hope you can all see that, due to communication technology, we are ultimately one large troop of primates. We can trigger a violent frenzy or calm collectivism. Please, let's all do our part to achieve that critical mass for peace.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dero
Where did anyone advocate rape?
Where did anyone say rape is okay?

Speaking of reading comprehension... Where did someone accuse anyone of advocating rape or saying it's okay?

Now that you brought it up. by covering it up and not prosecuting, the military IS advocating rape and saying it's okay. Their silence is advocating it. Making excuses (like "she was dressed like a whore) is just as bad as advocating rape. You might as well be saying that it was her fault.

Whooooole lotta people don't realize that dressing like a hooker can get you treated like one. Not saying it's right- but it happens.

And it shouldn't. People who assault others should be dealt with according to the law.

so you US Military / USA hating tools can shove it.

Leave it up to you to try to make the military synonymous with the country.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Saying that women should expect it or making it seem like their very presence serving among men is the problem is the same as saying it's ok.

Bottom line: It's happening and it's wrong. Even a prostitute has a right to say no and anything above the level of an animal should be able to accept that no and move on without doing harm. It's wrong anywhere anytime no matter what nationality is involved. Since this thread specifically addresses the US military, that is the focus of this discussion. Or would it be ok cuz everybody else does it too?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dero

I don't understand what you are saying. Hookers have consensual sex for money. Sluts have consensual sex for pleasure. Where does rape come into the equation?

US Military / USA hating tools can shove it.

Since when did the military equate to the USA? And no, I think we all just hate rapists. It is telling that you are apologetic to them.
edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Alot of people are saying there's a few bad apples
But it's not a few bad apples, it's a diseased orchyard

We all know there's loads of good apples in the military but the issue is that the system pretty much protects rapists, and it's a known fact especially for those in service who commited such acts and friends of such people.

What does that mean?
It means it's a safe haven for rapists

So saying there's a few bad apples is oversimplifying the issue
The issue is that the system basically gives an invitation card for guys who want to "have fun raping" with no accountability

This is a serious problem and it WILL NEVER be solved by saying "oh there's a few bad apples"

Nobody should be saying this anymore especially when you have rapists getting medals
It should be clear that this is a serious issue
edit on 20-6-2012 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Here's a few from this thread.:

This is one example of why I refuse to give respect to someone just because they wear a uniform.

This is what happens when you train people to become "numb" killers they become unconscious animals who rape so called "terrorists" and you are surprised when they rape women in their pack ??

it's all about creating monsters, and for some it's all to easy to become one
anger,hate and fear turn the victims into more efficient killers as well

I'm over military people making excuses for their behavior.

This is an army of murderers, that is sent around the world to mass murder people

What more do you expect from a bunch of murderers who are paid to rape and destroy countries?

--------------------------

Yeah I did equate it. You sure do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Dero

Since when did the military equate to the USA? And no, I think we all just hate rapists. It is telling that you are apologetic to them.
edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Oh yeah. I'm totally apologetic to rapists. Thumbs up!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dero

Could you reply to the other half of my post.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dero

Here's a few from this thread.:

None of your examples accuse anyone of advocating rape. Just because you disagree with someone's opinion doesn't mean they're accusing you of something.

Yeah I did equate it. You sure do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about it.

I wouldn't say I have a chip. I have an opinion and that is that today's military is NOT the same entity as this country. That's my opinion. Expressing it doesn't mean I have a chip.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Of course I could.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Bam. Teenage girl with a snappy sign nails it.

If sexual assault is being institutionally facilitated (and the evidence presented by the OP indicates that this is the case), that means it is culturally condoned. Changing the culture is where we need to address the issue, and we do men a disservice when we assume that they are bred-in-the-bone rapists, and that the only solution is to boot women out of the military.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Another ugly possibility is that gang rape serves to strengthen group cohesion for the male soldiers who practice it. Pretty gross, but may be why it is condoned.

Also hate to say it, but looking into the conditions that lead to prison rape (a genderblind phenom, in fact more prevalent in female populations, particularly gang rape) could help us to understand the operative group dynamics in the military version.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'm so tired of the mandatory anti-rape briefings I have to go to every year in the military. They always boil down to: "You're a man, you have a penis, therefore you're a rapist. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday!"

Changing the culture: clearly the sensitivity talks are a dirty band-aid. I'd love to see a transcript, but would hardly be surprised if this captures the approach pretty accurately. We can't tell men that they are rapists waiting to happen and then just say, "Yeah, but don't. There are practically no consequences, and it's a great way to induce group catharsis in stressful situations, and you're all given very little by way of effective coping mechanisms or appropriate outlets, but just- don't."

Rape isn't about sex- it's mainly about power, and under the right circumstances, it's about stress release and establishing chains of dominance.

That's where it needs to be addressed.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I've noticed the old, "you dress like a ho, you gonna get raped," argument being applied here, even though the victims are wearing the same standard issue uniforms as the victimizers. An otherwise invalid argument becomes outright ridiculous in this context.

It's not about short skirts, it's about opportunity.

Myth: Rape victims provoke the attack by wearing provocative clothing

*Most convicted rapists do not remember what their victims were wearing.

*Victims range in age from days old to those in their nineties, hardly
provocative dressers.

*A Federal Commission on Crime of Violence Study found that only 4.4% of
all reported rapes involved provocative behavior on the part of the victim.
In murder cases 22% involved such behavior (as simple as a glance)

www.usu.edu...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join