It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentary about rape in the US military changes government policy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Good God!

You mean to tell me the only media outlet covering this is the GUARDIAN in the UK?

This is an American problem and our MSM should be up in arms about it but, all we hear from them is the sounds of silence.

It makes me wonder what agenda this serves by allowing women to be raped in the military with no consequences for the guilty? Who benifits from this and why hasn't it been stopped sooner?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
That's really sexist and wrong. You are blaming the women for being around testosterone filled men for being raped?

Add to that, that it isn't just women who get raped. I remember a report on A Current Affair a number of years ago here in Australia, about a guy who got pack raped by his male superiors in the service.

Nobody blamed that guy when it happened to him; well, other than the cowards who did it themselves, of course. When guys get raped, nobody blames them. When women do, it's somehow their fault.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm so tired of the mandatory anti-rape briefings I have to go to every year in the military. They always boil down to: "You're a man, you have a penis, therefore you're a rapist. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday!" They're always "taught" by some feminazi with an agenda, maybe she got raped in her uncle's trailer, but sorry sister- I'm not a rapist. That's like saying all blacks steal. Or all mexicans are lazy. All men are rapists?

Oh right, but all rapists are men. Yeah I forgot that tired old line.

I was kicked out of the last briefing I was at because when it was Q&A time, I raised my hand, stated my rank, name and duty section and then asked why the woman who dresses like a whore, showing off her asscheeks and tits, gets blackout drunk and flirty as hell (I've been stationed all around the world, I've seen it so many times I've lost count) and then decides the next day that she doesn't like who she woke up next to so she cries "rape"- why doesn't she get some kind of punishment or counselling for putting herself in that situation?

It takes two to tango, honey. If the one with marks on them is the GUY, and they're nail marks on his back from you in the throes of alcohol-induced passion, hickeys on his neck then I'm preeeeetty sure you wanted it. You just didn't think he was as hot the next day. Happens to us guys all the time. We just move on with our lives.

Not saying there's some legitimate rape going on in the military. YES, some guys will dose drinks. I had a female supervisor once who went out drinking with us one night on Okinawa and after two beers she got woozy as hell and started acting funny. We figure someone slipped her a mickey so we brought her home and made sure she was comfortable as she passed out and the other chick with us stayed on her couch while we went back to drinkin'. She ended up blacking out and called the next day asking what happened. Good thing we got her out of there.

So yeah, there's some scumbags out there. But there's also some slutbags out there, too.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Nobody is saying it was the women's fault. lol maybe everybody in here is just a WAY different parent than me...

I wouldn't send my daughter to an all boys camp. Isn't that all the military is?

If you guys are fine sending your daughters off to packs of rabid soldiers.... Go ahead with that.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dero
I'm so tired of the mandatory anti-rape briefings I have to go to every year in the military. They always boil down to: "You're a man, you have a penis, therefore you're a rapist. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday!" They're always "taught" by some feminazi with an agenda, maybe she got raped in her uncle's trailer, but sorry sister- I'm not a rapist. That's like saying all blacks steal. Or all mexicans are lazy. All men are rapists?

I was kicked out of the last briefing I was at because when it was Q&A time, I raised my hand, stated my rank, name and duty section and then asked why the woman who dresses like a whore, showing off her asscheeks and tits, gets blackout drunk and flirty as hell (I've been stationed all around the world, I've seen it so many times I've lost count) and then decides the next day that she doesn't like who she woke up next to so she cries "rape"- why doesn't she get some kind of punishment or counselling for putting herself in that situation?

It takes two to tango, honey. If the one with marks on them is the GUY, and they're nail marks on his back from you in the throes of alcohol-induced passion, hickeys on his neck then I'm preeeeetty sure you wanted it. You just didn't think he was as hot the next day. Happens to us guys all the time. We just move on with our lives.

Are you serious?????

What are you suggesting???????

What a horrible neanderthal-like post

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I did not watch the documentary. Therefore, I can only speculate. Some would have it in reference to the military, "Every one in the military is a rapist, baby killer, plunderer, and pillager." Phew! That is a lot to chew on. Some folks would like to espouse that propaganda to set agendas and such. It is a free country, and it is their right. It is the furthest thing from the truth. Lets set the record straight, rape is an abhorrent act!

Anyone who sits by idly, covers it up, or partakes in such behavior should be prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law! That should apply to the military or civilian world. With that said, I recall from my time serving. There was an open door policy to report any harassment or abuse. My command had a zero tolerance policy. Fortunately for me, I did not encounter any behavior that is being mentioned in the OP. If I had? You can bet your bottom dollar I would have stopped it, and reported it! Regardless of personal feelings or friendship. Of course a fury of threats, intimidation, and retribution would be thrown around by the guilty party. So be it! A line in the sand must be drawn, and rape is one them.

There are good apples and bad apples in the military or in any organization for that matter. Fortunately for me, I met some of the best and the brightest from both genders. We looked out for each other! I just don't want the documentary to be used as some kind of blanketed indictment of those whom served in the military. A lot of that is going around lately. It is unfair to me and others whom served honorably. That is all I am saying. I guess I got a documentary to watch.
edit on 19-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by KnawLick

Who made you the purveyor of morality?

I think women are societies biggest asset. The loss of 1 mother to war is unacceptable. Men on the other hand were made for war. It's in our blood.

I'd say you sir are the sexist one. Willing to send our beautiful young women off to war.... for what?!

You notion of political correctness?!

Ummmm, the women are WANTING to go and serve their country!! No one is forcing them! They are volunteering, so why don't you ask them why they want to serve their country????

Sounds to me like you are making excuses for the criminals that can't be a real men, and decide that the women are there for their sexual pleasure?

look this can go two ways:
-everyone over eighteen must register for selective service, women may now freely assume combat roles.
-selective service requirement is done-away-with.

the present paradigm is inherently sexist. just allowing women to assume combat roles would make it more-so.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dero

I hear ya.

I went to bed at night with a pretty woman, but somehow didn't wake up to her.

I think it goes both ways.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Are you serious?????

What are you suggesting???????

What a horrible neanderthal-like post

his comment was a little colorful, but that's probably standard in the armed forces. (assuming 'cuss like a sailor' didn't come out of thin air?)

but it sounds like what he's suggesting is that we have equal standards of treatment for men and women.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Good God!

You mean to tell me the only media outlet covering this is the GUARDIAN in the UK?

This is an American problem and our MSM should be up in arms about it but, all we hear from them is the sounds of silence.

It makes me wonder what agenda this serves by allowing women to be raped in the military with no consequences for the guilty? Who benifits from this and why hasn't it been stopped sooner?

for the same reason that we didn't champion considering rape a war crime until after kosovo.

The american government makes some pretty smart choices sometimes, not flinging # when most of it will land in your own eye happens to be one of them.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLZ

Grow up.

reply to post by notionfreely

Yeah, that. Sometimes I'm too eloquent for my own good.
edit on 19-6-2012 by Dero because: because of reasons.

edit on 19-6-2012 by Dero because: of reasons

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

MA,

You didn't take it context. He did the right thing.

Someone put a Ruffy or Mickey in his fellow Soldiers drink and he protected them.

It happens. And God bless those who watch out for the friends/comrades.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dero

I'm so tired of the mandatory anti-rape briefings I have to go to every year in the military.

You poor, mistreated thing!

Originally posted by notionfreely
his comment was a little colorful, but that's probably standard in the armed forces.

That's a lame excuse for that diatribe. How about this one? I'm over military people making excuses for their behavior.

but it sounds like what he's suggesting is that we have equal standards of treatment for men and women.

No one here is suggesting otherwise.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Dero

I'm so tired of the mandatory anti-rape briefings I have to go to every year in the military.

You poor, mistreated thing!

his comment was a little colorful, but that's probably standard in the armed forces.

That's a lame excuse for that diatribe. How about this one? I'm over military people making excuses for their behavior.

No one here is suggesting otherwise.

Uh oh, someone's mad.

Excuses for what?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by KnawLick

Originally posted by KnawLick

Because War is Man's endeavor. Therefore we set the rules....

Where is it stated that war is "man's endeavor"? This is your opinion, right? And that's fine. But men and women have equal rights in this country.

You wouldn't tell a women when and where to have an abortion would you?

No, That's HER choice. Just like going to war.

I think you just did there, women have a choice to enlist. men must register for selective service.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I think you just did there, women have a choice to enlist. men must register for selective service.

I did not suggest that I support that. That's how it is, but that's not how it SHOULD be, IMO. I believe it should be a choice for everyone.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

There are good apples and bad apples in the military or in any organization for that matter. Fortunately for me, I met some of the best and the brightest from both genders. We looked out for each other! I just don't want the documentary to be used as some kind of blanketed indictment of those whom served in the military. A lot of that is going around lately. It is unfair to me and others whom served honorably. That is all I am saying. I guess I got a documentary to watch.

You make some good points, and I'm sure there are many who are really great people. yet the fact that the ones in supervisory positions have not treated rape within the military with as much conviction as the civilian world , seems to speak volumes.

These are the issues that they want to change ,and it should be changed. The mere fact the few who actually do get prosecuted and found guilty are given much lighter sentences, is in itself is very indicative of how serious they have considered it in the past.

Thank goodness the awareness, and exposure of this is leading to change.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The reason it happens so much in the military is because most people serving are followers and not leaders.

How many of you can actually say you have been out to sea or in the field for weeks or months at a time with 100-500 other men and 5-10 women?

I have and although I have never witnessed any assault/rape while serving, I could totally see a situation getting out of hand really quickly when surrounded by 18-25 year old males especially if drinking is involved. As an adult, as a father, as a human being and as a leader someone in the group has to stand up for what is right and stop the others rather than perpetuating the situation. If 15 military men are attacking one woman and just one of them starts trying to break them up it would cause a few others to realize what they are doing and 9 times out of 10 difuse the situation.

Don't be a follower..
Be a leader and don't just sit by and watch others doing something wrong without trying to stop it. When I was younger an naive I may have let some borderline stuff go and not said anything but with age I have put fear aside. I don't care if the individual is and E1 or commanding officer of a base...If I see you doing something that crosses what I feel is the line I am coming at you no matter who you are and where you rank the exact same way.

If you witness it happening and you don't stop it or try to stop it your just as guilty as the others...end rant.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You know, as a woman, I never thought I'd say this, but were only half a priority compared to some cases.

After investigating the Franklin Case Cover Up, and MK Ultra, and Project Monarch, it became *very* clear how rampant sexual abuse is in the *establishment*.

What I'm currently investigating is sexual abuse in the forces.

Please google (william) White Vs Canada (pdf)

And you will see one case of sexual abuse towards a cadet on HMCS Discovery and HMCS Rainbow.

I stumbled on this case by accident after a man named Shaun Zeno (who has posted once on ATS relating to Cathy O'Brien) tild his story of hollywood sexual abuse of younf boys in the acting industry. He claimed to have been escourted to Rainbow and camp Qaudra, and abused in Masonic circles in Vancouver.

Shaun openly admits he has mental problems and dissociative disorder, so trying to collaborate his story was hard, however, I did fing he was an extra in the TV series "dark angel" (my personal childhood favorite), and I also found that sexual abuse on the ship Rainbow was *rampant* in the 70's...

Most likely still is today, more research to be doing!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
And to the guy bitching about the male slanted rape cases, I'm think I'm pretty safe in saying that the ratio in rape cases would be 90/10 *against* men
of course, that's something ill look up in a second,

And to the guy who said he went to bed with a bird, and woke up alone..

That's not rape, its something us women call, *bash n dash*! Lol

You didn't press her buttons right

edit on 19-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join