It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentary about rape in the US military changes government policy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

One of the major problems with rape in the military is that the perpetrators are rarely punished. And if they are, the punishment rarely fits the crime.

But there a many minor problems as well that lead to this. I have seen many women in my thirty years use their feminine wiles to get ahead and promoted to positions they have no right being in. Not all do this, but it is commonplace.

Then you have the women who try to fit in with the boys and behave like the rest of the crew and that is taken unconsciously that she has lesser morals and ethics. I’ve never seen anything good come from those situations either.

However I have seen and served with women who were very professional as well. They were tough and mentally stable people who knew how to lead by example. Of course…no one likes those kind of people regardless of their gender.

This blending of the genders in the military is a work in progress. While rape will unfortunately never go away, it will get better.

I wonder how other nations militaries deal with it?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is what happens when you train people to become "numb" killers they become unconscious animals who rape so called "terrorists" and you are surprised when they rape women in their pack ??

With all the sexual torture on prisoners (Abu Ghraib is just one example) it doesn't surprise me one bit.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

If I came off as "blaming the women" in this situation, I'd apologize.

Under no circumstances is rape okay.... In my book its worse than murder.

I was merely trying to say I wouldn't want my daughter even in a situation where she is surrounded by men, with no oversight, in a strange country...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Why do people rape?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Originally posted by KnawLick

Because War is Man's endeavor. Therefore we set the rules....

Where is it stated that war is "man's endeavor"? This is your opinion, right? And that's fine. But men and women have equal rights in this country.

You wouldn't tell a women when and where to have an abortion would you?

No, That's HER choice. Just like going to war.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I am probably the only one here who is more than a little angry that it took a "media" production to enlighten Panetta.... as if he had no clue until now.

This is about a public relation reaction to what will no doubt be a widely circulated expose of exactly what Panetta and his ilk have known for decades.

The reaction will be driven by political expedience... because that has become more powerful than any sense of honor and justice.

If you believe in honor, if you strive for justice... rape is never an "option" regardless of how young and horny you may be.

And neither is a culture which "creates a sense of circumstantially malleable criminal code" in regards to the dehumanizing nature of sexual assault.

But rape isn't the issue here for me... it's the fact that a bunch of Hollywood clowns are marketing this to us as if "no one knew." And the political regime is using this...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

sigh

it's the dehumanization at the heart of military culture that causes this
simples

it's all about creating monsters, and for some it's all to easy to become one
anger,hate and fear turn the victims into more efficient killers as well

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So I unfortunately must sadly agree with the poster that says women should not serve in the army
That does NOT mean that they can't, they should be allowed

But every man should hope that they don't

I can understand the need for equality, absolutely
But I think they are more equal to each other while holding a gun
What about when you come to hand to hand combat?
Sure many women could kick many men's arses, but let's not lie and consider them equal
Men have more muscle and strenght than women
lung capacity is also required for flying a fighter jet and men have more lung capacity than women which of course varies by height of the individual.

I don't want to turn this into a PC thread
I'm just speaking as a husband and a son
I would rather go to war than my wife and would rather my father or me to go war instead of my mother

I say this because I put women on a pedestal, they are way higher than us
Hopefully I didn't offend anyone by this

I remember being at a corner store one night and everyone in the store heard gunshots, this was in NY at a late night.
A woman asked me "Would you be so kind to walk a lady to her car?", another woman heard her and asked me for the same respect.
Of course I did it gladly.

And of course you would never hear a man asking a woman to walk him to his car

I'm just saying man, that's all

There's an old saying during a fire or small evacuation "Women and children first"
edit on 19-6-2012 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

So a women can carry a 100 pound pack, navigate courses, carry heavy weaponry and see people blown up in front of them just as well as men?

i imagine becoming dead inside as a result of being gang raped by "the guys" or a superior officer
and have it all swept under the rug helps.

the rapists will have no trouble killing and raping on the battlefield either

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Sexual violence is something that is obviously taught in the military.

Female interrogators repeatedly used sexually suggestive tactics to try to humiliate and pry information from devout Muslim men held at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to a military investigation not yet public and newly declassified accounts from detainees.

And sometimes, it's the woman who is the aggressor

The women rubbed their bodies against the men, wore skimpy clothes in front of them, made sexually explicit remarks and touched them provocatively, at least eight detainees said in documents or through their attorneys.

Link

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Using prosecution rates as a measure of people "getting away" with crimes is ridiculous.

It requires one hold the assumption that all defendants are guilty.

Not to mention that all prosecutions are inherently righteous.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Using prosecution rates as a measure of people "getting away" with crimes is ridiculous.

It requires one hold the assumption that all defendants are guilty.

But that's how the legal system works
The number of people saying that this one guy is guilty WILL make him guilty in a court of law
And the number of women saying the process is almost deliberately flawed makes it flawed

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Because War is Man's endeavor. Therefore we set the rules....

Where is it stated that war is "man's endeavor"? This is your opinion, right? And that's fine. But men and women have equal rights in this country.

You wouldn't tell a women when and where to have an abortion would you?

No, That's HER choice. Just like going to war.

Okay? Did I say purge the military of women? No. Did I say women don't have a right to serve? No. Did I even say women that are serving are wrong? No..... Seems like your putting words in my mouth in an attempt to get me to illicit a negative response towards you. I said how I PERSONALLY feel, take it or leave it. Don't really care what your opinion of me or my views are. I just like debating....

War is as much a Man's endeavor as Child rearing is a Women's endeavor... Obviously there is overlap in both..

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Hell, the poster after you already said it better than I could. There's no excuse for sexism even in the military.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

But you said it yourself.

Women should be around testosterone-laden men.

Do you realize how wrong this statement is?

If this is the case, then I suppose women should never be around large groups of men because she might get raped.

Do you realize how silly your logic is here?

link   
Originally posted by The Sword

But you said it yourself. I interpret it as "Women shouldn't be around testosterone-laden men."

Do you realize how wrong this statement is?

If this is the case, then I suppose women should never be around large groups of men because she might get raped.

Do you realize how silly your logic is here?
edit on 19-6-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yep

We have seen multiple threads on this subject within the military haven't we?

And they're just know learning about it?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

You say I'm sexist for not wanting women in the military...

I say your sexist for sending our beautiful women off to be horribly mutilated in an attempt to serve your view of political correctness...

We will just have to agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I've you would have taken the time to ACTUALLY read the thread you would have seen I already answered this question....

reply to post by seeker1963

If I came off as "blaming the women" in this situation, I'd apologize.

Under no circumstances is rape okay.... In my book its worse than murder.

I was merely trying to say I wouldn't want my daughter ever in a situation where she is surrounded by men, with no oversight, in a strange country...

edit on 19-6-2012 by KnawLick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think people are getting lost in the midst of PCness

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join