It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.3 magnitude earthquake off coast of japan.....tsunami take 2

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Thank you, Pharaoh!

The other news sites aren't even reporting this yet -- and with all the attention on Japan last year, you'd think they'd be all over this one too.

They'll probably start reporting it tomorrow.. a day late, no less.

Good thing members like you are on the ball the moment it starts rolling

edit on 17-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Not wishing to derail the thread, but something seems amiss, this is the first thread iv viewed today and it just jumped out at me, reason i logged onto ATS was to see whats being said about the greek vote today, the news is awash with how we should all be happy, i just think in reality the time for heading to cover is coming soon, its as though the signs are getting clearer even though they are being hidden, anyone know what I mean??? Am I tuned into something, maybe im way off but this thread was just jumping out at me and that means this story has got something to do with what im feeling, still think its a prelude to something, like its a signal being sent out... Hold
tight amigos
edit on 17-6-2012 by DarthPhobos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by EvanB

Do you WAN'T this to happen??

Kind of sounds like it...

edit on 17-6-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

ha...that was cheap....

no...i want people in that area to know if they need to run.....

peace

Fair enough... Just remember these people are spooked beyond what you can imagine with the last one..:

They are staging "Die in's" to stop the turning on of the nuke plants.. These people are scared beyond imagining.. Can you blame them??
edit on 17-6-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

wow...was that this week......its getting more creepy.....manifest destiny or coincidence...

i think they should put nuclear energy in their past...

only landlocked countries with no earthquakes should be allowed
edit on 17-6-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow! This can be enough to cause collapse of reactor 4!!! Red alarm!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
i didn't read any comparing of the 9.0 earthquake and this 6.3.....just a reporting of it

yup

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
A part of me wants to say this is just a routine smaller earthquake.

But another part of me says this earthquake may be part of something bigger in the future.

At this point in time though, I'm gonna go with my first answer.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
There is also a super typhoon closing in on Japan called Guchol. Yikes, I'd be alittle worried about this one. It is supposed to ramp up.

www.accuweather.com...

It seems they can't catch a break these days.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The concern would be the collapse of reactor #4. If there is a big enough quake in the right spot, it will be big trouble for everyone.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl
There is also a super typhoon closing in on Japan called Guchol. Yikes, I'd be alittle worried about this one. It is supposed to ramp up.

www.accuweather.com...

It seems they can't catch a break these days.

All I can say on that is WOW

Winds currently exceed 150 mph, with even higher gusts,

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

ha...that was cheap....

no...i want people in that area to know if they need to run.....

peace

Just to set your mind at ease next time you see a Japan quake:

If there's a tsunami danger, every TV and radio will broadcast the warning, most people's cellphones will get the notification, and the tsunami sirens will sound. In my area, they also send ALL the fire, police and emergency vehicles out to broadcast the warnings via loudspeaker. All of that will happen about 5-10 minutes before the news is posted to international sites monitoring earthquakes and tsunami.

Anyone likely to be affected by a tsunami here isn't going to get the information from ATS.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

They say it was not so much the earthquake that devasted the fukushima plant but the ensuing tsunami. Do you suppose this typhoon could do more damage?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

6.3??

There is a huge magnitude of difference between a 6.3 and 9.0.... A HUGE difference...

This is nothing..

Maybe a wave will do a somersault on the beech... No Tsunami though.. Thank God..

You are correct that there is a MAJOR difference between a 6.3 and a 9, but a 6.3 is still a big quake, and depending on the depth and location, could CERTAINLY cause a tsunami.

I doubt it, but if someone has some other sources feel free to post them. 6.3 for an ocean quake is small, in a city, not so small. But a 9 quake is 1000 times stronger than a 6.

About 95% of the time these quakes create a "tsunami" that measures about 6 inches high...makes you wonder how they measure it

edit on 6/17/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

reply to post by thePharaoh

9.0 magnitude....109 miles from coast

this one is

6.3...and only 95 miles of the coast...

The "only" part and "tsunami take 2" is more than a bit sensationalist. Not to be rude, but do you actually know anything about earthquakes and tsunamis? Just seems on a similar level to warning Nebraska of a hurricane that's about to hit Texas..
edit on 6/17/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

I honestly don't know.
I just hope all will be ok with who ever might be in the path.
and in my younger days if I lived there I would try and fly a kite.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

i guess the next few hours is all about evacuating the coast......

Mm, not really. Not for a 6.3. You do realise that the 9.1 was ~15,848 stronger than this one just gone off? Not exactly in the same class.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Isabelx

16 minutes after it was posted on quake watch, but there you go I guess the quake nerds were bound to be quicker!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

But a 9 quake is 1000 times stronger than a 6.

31,622.78 times stronger actually but what is 30,622 times between friends?

By the way your figure is correct the terminology is wrong. a Mag 9 is 1000 x BIGGER that a Mag 6 but is 31,622+ time STRONGER.

The BIGGER part refers to the amplitude on the seismometer.

edit on 17/6/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

6.3??

There is a huge magnitude of difference between a 6.3 and 9.0.... A HUGE difference...

This is nothing..,

Maybe a wave will do a somersault on the beech... No Tsunami though.. Thank God..

I dont care what anyone says, magnitude means nothing. If a 4.0 rocks a 50 mile stretch of underwater cliff and the whole thing gives way,the underwater landslide and the water displacement involved would make the last great tsunami look like a fart in a pool if ya catch my drift

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Turq1

But a 9 quake is 1000 times stronger than a 6.

31,622.78 times stronger actually but what is 30,622 times between friends?

By the way your figure is correct the terminology is wrong. a Mag 9 is 1000 x BIGGER that a Mag 6 but is 31,622+ time STRONGER.

The BIGGER part refers to the amplitude on the seismometer.

edit on 17/6/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

I'll let you focus on semantics but thanks for agreeing with my point...I think you did anyway. Your service is commendable.

A mag 6 earthquake hitting a city can do a lot of damage, but that same mag 6 in the ocean isn't going to do much.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthPhobos
Got a bad vibe about this one

A prelude to something bigger perhaps next couple of days

dude you know what i thought....just yesterday they reopened one of the nuclear plants....just frigging yesterday...
and i said....watch another tsunami hit....jeepers

USA TODAY Japan to reopen nuclear reactors - 3 days ago
Japan moved closer to restarting nuclear reactors for the first time since last year's earthquake and tsunami led to a nationwide shutdown after .......

deep innit

IF there is SOOO much radiation over in japans plants, then how in the world can they restart the others. Woulden't the people be contaminated with radiation and die. How can this be. It is either, ok and ready to start the others back up OR Like many threads on here Fukashima is full of rads and people around the area are suffering. Which is it? YOU cannot have both.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join