It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Homophobia The Most Misused Term On The Face Of This Planet Used By The People?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nope. I don't think it is. I think the meaning is pretty clear and when used, it is usually used appropriately. It is just another kind of bigotry and easy to spot in people and so easy to identify.

Like misogyny is a hatred of women as a group, so is homophobia a hatred or intolerance of homosexuals as a group. It is not looking past a group label and seeing or caring about the individual person.

People who hate homosexuals are hating on some of the most nurturing and caring individuals on the planet. These are soldiers, policemen, firemen (and women), ambulance and emergency services workers, home health care aides, doctors and nurses, teachers, writers, dancers and creative artists, people with jobs and families and paying taxes like everybody else....I could go on but you get the idea.

If you have time to hate at all...
Hate child molesters and predators.
Hate people who start wars, hate rapists.
Hate murderers, liars, and human traffickers.
Hate drug pushers, criminals and thieves.
Hate a dirty politician, a corrupt lobbyist.
Hate a greedy banker, an oppressive dictator.

These people all really deserve your valuable time and effort in hating on them
You might begin writing pieces to get others to hate on them too - Maybe even solve a problem.

Why not leave the gays alone?
In this screwed up world you must know you have MUCH more pressing emergencies to deal with.
We are as a group neglecting critical matters that need attention while we debate this. Nothing to debate if you ask me. People either have civil rights or they don't.
I don't recommend spending an inordinate amount of time making judgements and condemning folks who have caused you no harm. On the contrary, "gays" have been there in service positions and helped all of us many times, in many instances, but you did not know it. Fearing ridicule, anger, horror and even retaliation from "homo-phobics" and their misplaced and unreasonable paranoia, "the helper" did not tell you (us) they were gay. It was none of yours(or my) business anyway.

By the way - I think the most inappropriately used and frequently misunderstood phrase on the face of the planet is PRO-LIFE. What a crock.

edit on 16-6-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's still the truth. Truth is often unpleasant. Try discussing Homosexuality while criticizing Homosexuals in a diplomatic manner on a forum like Democrat Underground and see what happens, I dare you. I guarantee you, you will get shut down.

Again that would only be because you have no ability to debate these people properly, or whoever it was that was trying to get their point accross. A lack of skills in discussion is does not equate to the other side always using their bad tactics against you.

If you can't rise above that and actually beat them at their own game, then why did you bother starting the discussion in the first place?

It is not the truth.

You have the right to your own opinions, not your own facts. Please don't blanket statement an entire sect of society based on some stereotype.

I'm gay and I have NO problem with the critizing of homosexuals, I am probably one of the more outspoken members against the gay community.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, while some people aren't actually "afraid" of homosexuals or becoming homosexual, if you have "thing" against homosexuality, I believe it comes from fear of the unknown and is actually based in fear.

I'm sure it's not based on fear
If you talk to many orthodox christians it's not fear, it's simply disgust and/or being against on biblical principle.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What would you rather have people call you? Anti-gay? I mean, there are certain people who write thread after thread containing negativity about being gay... What do you expect people to call you? What would make you more comfortable?

whatever that term is "phobia' should not be part of it
I'm fine with anti-gay, I don't think there's a term closer to being accurate than that
And it's not about comfort, you can call someone a racist if he actually is a racist despite it making him uncomfortable.
It's about accuracy and staying on topic, otherwise topics will become never-ending.

I know what you are thinking... that this topic will forever remain 80%+ open
I disagree, it can go below 20% if people stay on topic

But people on a certain side of the fence prefer homophobic

Once I used the word pro-abortion and an ATS poster said: "Stop watching fox news, don't say pro-abortion, say pro-choice"

No, if you are pro-abortion you are pro-abortion but deep inside people see that as a negative term
So they try to spin it into something positive when it's about them and spin it as negative when it's about the opposition.

It's all ad hominem tactics that's all it is
edit on 16-6-2012 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Yes I knew you were either gay or liberal when you attempted to shut me up.That's all you people ever do is do your best to shut people up regardless of how they express yourself using any dirty and dishonest means possible.

And I will continue to express my opinion however I see fit. Don't tell me how to express my opinion or I can't take you seriously.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Yes I knew you were either gay or liberal when you attempted to shut me up.That's all you people ever do is do your best to shut people up regardless of how they express yourself using any dirty and dishonest means possible.

And I will continue to express my opinion however I see fit. Don't tell me how to express my opinion or I can't take you seriously.

Of course, I must gay or liberal because I'm trying to shut you up!

I actually was engaging in a conversation with you, not once did I ever try to shut you up. You made a statement, I disagreed with it, and told you why, somehow my disagreement equates to shutting you up?

You have a very strange view of how discussions and debates are supposed to go. Are people just supposed to flat out agree with you, otherwise they are using dirty and dishonest means to shut you up?

You can express you opinion however you want, but don't get all upset when somebody gives you a logical argument and you do not have the ability to counter it. Don't go crying " liberal/gay tactics" when it is your lack of debate skills that put you in this position.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Because I did not make a blanket statement, I made a truthful one. Saying I made a blanket statement is also a common dirty tactic used by homosexuals and liberals to try to shut people up.

So of course what always follows is the usual question of "OH MY GOSH! WHAT I CAN'T DISAGREE WITH YOU?"

No, your words are textbook examples of tactics without honest discussion that is meant nothing more than to shut anybody who isn't a liberal or a homosexual up.

I have nothing more to say to you.

Of course you will continue to criticize me for daring to speak a simple truth. You guys are completely incapable of holding an honest discussion without using these tactics to shut people up who disagree with you. None of you can.

You people can't help yourself.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Another sign of an inability to debate is to claim you're being "silenced" because someone disagrees with you. No one is trying to shut you up. Don't be such a victim.

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
No, if you are pro-abortion you are pro-abortion but deep inside people see that as a negative term
So they try to spin it into something positive when it's about them and spin it as negative when it's about the opposition.

I'm anti-abortion, but pro-choice. See? They are different things. But that's another discussion.

I suppose we could call anti-gay folks "pro-het".
I mean, because I believe in equality, I get called "pro-gay"...
It doesn't bother me. If I take the position, I damn well better be "man" enough to take the labels.

I like not being "homophobic" or anti-gay at all. That way, I don't have to worry about it.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Again, your adhominems against me ( I made none to that effect at you) and your refusal to discuss the facts I presented and debate the logical arguments I made against yours, are just proof that you cannot debate me, therefore you will just claim that I am using dirty tactics to shut you up.

It's very common for people who have emotional arguments, instead of logical ones to cry foul when their emotions are countered with logic and they have nothing to continue debating with.

This whole time I've asked that you actually logically debate me on this issue, but you just crying about how I'm trying to shut you up.

Ironic isn't it?

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'm sure it's not based on fear If you talk to many orthodox Christians it's not fear, it's simply disgust and/or being against on biblical principle.

It is fear. It is fear and paranoia. There are many shall we say orthodox Christians who do not have a problem with pedophilia. I don't get that this same group, the one that protects pedophiles is also so anti-homosexual. I dare say there are some closeted homosexuals in the Church too. It is an individual preference and fear and paranoia dictates who we accept and who we reject.

These Bishops are not trying to abide by the book or faith "religiously" or we would still be eating fish on Friday and not succumbing to the money of the MEAT industry when it moved to have the custom overturned. And did you know unless the chick is a virgin, the marriage is null and void? There are many Christian dictates we have tossed by the wayside out of convenience or out side pressure. Banning gay marriage should have been one of the first to go, and certainly before the health hazardous, heart attack inducing "go ahead and eat meat on Friday" stipulation was added.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

You certainly have the right to express your opinion -
and everyone else has the right to consider the source.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Is Homophobia The Most Misused Term On The Face Of This Planet Used By The People

No. The most misued term in the USA .. and the most misued term by people here .. is when some people continually play the race card and call others 'racist' when those others dare to anything negative about Obama or Holder etc etc It's absurd how they continually scream 'racist' (or insinuate it).

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm not saying it's ok at all. I'm saying don't judge a whole group by the actions of the few. That's all. After all, I've been hit on aggressively by MANY straight guys and I don't consider them all jerks or anything.

Darling,

Don't accuse me of judging a whole group, I didn't.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Your resorting to stealth insults causes me to consider the source as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The term is used to shut down discussion. Homosexuals believe that they can't be criticized because they are huge victims of society.

You are making an extremely sweeping statement with saying that "Homosexuals believe", as homosexuals are not some uniform group with syncronised thoughts, which, if you would have read the post of "Halfoldman" on the first page, you would have learned.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

Stop making claims without proof. You can not prove to me they they aren't. You can make all the claim and argumentation in the world, but you can't convince me you're right. All you people have are dishonest and dirty tricks to shut people up who are critical of you guys, and that's it.

Such as the utterly retarded tactic of telling someone they are making broad generalizations.

And when you guys stop it with your generalizations and personal attacks, then you can make some headway, Until then you're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who can't have an honest discussion.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Will Smith smacked that reporter...for good reason. Dude was trying to kiss Will. He's lucky Will didn't punch him in the mouth. That's the problem that i have with the 'gay' community. Gay's think EVERYONE should be gay, and if they're not...it's because they're in the 'closet'.

Newsflash: No one has to agree with your SEXUAL PREFERENCE, so..do yourself a favor...and stop pressing us to agree.

Also, what gives gay men, the right to put their arms around another man, or try to touch them inappropriately? It's not like i, being a heterosexual man, can walk up to a woman, and put my arms around her, or grab her but...or try to kiss her. That's considered sexual ASSAULT!

You wanna be 'gay' (which is a stupid word), be gay...just be gay to yourself! Keep your affairs behind closed doors; like you used to!

Oh, and maybe homos are homophobic because people are homo-sapiens. Talk about a dumb populace!

And yeah...i'm homophobic. I have a fear of gay men, VIOLATING MY SPACE; like that reporter did to Will. Talk about disrespectful. Who gave him the right to do so??? If that were me, dude would have been picking his teeth up, from the ground!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

reply to post by newcovenant

Your resorting to stealth insults causes me to consider the source as well.

Hey consider anything. It would be an improvement. Opps, I did it again. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Nightchild

Stop making claims without proof. You can not prove to me they they aren't. You can make all the claim and argumentation in the world, but you can't convince me you're right.

Uhm, yes, I can, as I have moved in those groups myself for quite some time, and contrary to your claims and fantasies on the matter, I have never seen so many bickerings and bitchings within those groups, and that for the simple reason that GLBT-people are not some colonial animal that is all joined at the feet.

All you people have are dishonest and dirty tricks to shut people up who are critical of you guys, and that's it.

You would't count one of the dirty tricks to be lumping together a diverse bunch of people and refer to them as "you guys", would you?
Nah, ofcourse not, you are the victim here, right?

Such as the utterly retarded tactic of telling someone they are making broad generalizations.

And when you guys stop it with your generalizations and personal attacks, then you can make some headway, Until then you're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who can't have an honest discussion.

It's okay, just let your fear and anxiety out, for you have a lot of it within you, which is proven by the fact that it is very important for you to make a clear difference between you and the groups you are referring to, by distancate yourself from it, by saying "They", "Them", "You guys", and so on, hence trying to convince both the audience and not the least yourself, your distanciation.
A mechanism which is well known within the field of Psychiatry.

Unfortunately, however, you may want to atleast try to control that poorly disguised anger of yours, as the Mods may not appreciate it. I have seen more than once people with the same bubbling hatred and fear within them getting banned as their statements have deranged into HATE SPEECH .
So, having a cup of Tea and then trying to calm down, could be a good idea for you to consider.

edit on 16-6-2012 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I say used by the people because there's alot of misused terms that the media and govt. misuse as well.
But here's it's the people specifically.

Even if you say "it doesn't mean fear of gays it means fear of becoming gay" at the end of the day it's called Homo Phobia and because of it being termed like that people use it in a certain fashion.

They use it as if people are actually scared of gays, and I don't get that.

Then they come up with some BS link about how research shows that if you don't agree with their lifestyle then you must have secret gay thoughts.

Ya and islamaphobes secretly want to be muslims
libertarians secretly are in love with taxes and big govt.
liberals secretly want to be conservative and own a closet full of cowboy belt buckles

It's such nonsense

It's a topic where it's hard to say things freely
Because even with this post people will call it homophobic
But I'm not against gays, however I am against using cheap and innaplicable analogies to get your point accross and use terms in the wrong fashion to further your point.

And it happens just way too often.

So this is NOT an anti-gay thread or even a pro-gay thread.

It's just about why is this term being used so much as if it makes any sense to use it in that fashion?

Anyone see will smith slap that reporter accross his face?

People were calling this a hate crime....

This is the dumbing down of society......

If anyone has Homophobia , they are basically ignorant and stupid. Being gay is 1000% natural. One is born that way and will die that way.

I blame the freaks that base there interpretation thru the lens of "blind faith" for disrupting the equality of homosexuals. Mostly Americans from the bible belt and ignorant Muslims. These people are scum .

As for the video,, its 50/50. What strait man would want or mind to be kissed by another man in public or private. Could Will Smith have handled it in a better fashion ? Definitely, but ask your self what would you do in front of hundreds of fans and cameras ,while you are focusing and working on selling yourself(that's what stars do on the red carpet) , and suddenly this happens? Honestly I wouldn't have used this video as your reference to your theme.

Cheers

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join