It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Homophobia The Most Misused Term On The Face Of This Planet Used By The People?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Ukrainian presenter and comedian Vitalii Sidiuk on the kiss, and an apology:

Will Smith on David Letterman on the kiss:

As one commentator put it on Youtube: It wasn't much of a slap; and it wasn't much of a kiss.
Bruno would be ashamed!

Don't see much of a hate crime either; just laughs.

edit on 16-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yeah, it's one of the many.

You don't agree with orgies and threesomes? You must be anti-social.

You don't agree with the government putting GMO in the food and chemicals in the water? You must be a domestic terrorist.

You don't agree with homosexuality? You must be a homophobe.

It's sickening how everyone's beliefs are cut, undermined, and even changed by this childish, stupid logic.

The Phelps family? Hell yeah, I'd say they're homophobes. An ordinary Christian or even a straight athiest?

Nope.

Love that video by the way. Good job Will

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
. It's a political tactic and the same thing goes with racism. The loudest idiots are put in front of a microphone lol.
Just try to ignore it
edit on 16-6-2012 by HamrHeed because: spolling

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Will Smith is not a homophobe. Actually the opposite is quite true...

He told reporters in Berlin on Monday that "if anybody can find someone to love them and to help them through this difficult thing that we call life, I support that in any shape or form."

Still, Smith says the president's support for gay marriage was a "brave" move in an election year.

Source

That little slap was a reaction any person would have had. If that happened in a work environment, then it would've been sexual harassment/assault...

By the way, the idiot known Vitalii Sediuk is known (pft) for his stupid stunts with celebrities. He's an attention whore. He's useless as an actual journalist so he has to resort to other methods of getting in the spotlight. Those accusing Smith of being a “homophobe” should really get their facts straight first.

Yawn.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I do not think the problem is with gay people having equal benefits. It is about whether or not 2 people of the same sex can really be an adequate parent. It is clear that adoption of a child is already difficult. Now you want to stack your LGBT agenda on top of this? I think it is a clear example of megolomania. I shouldn't say this, but if you want to have a child then you have to go through child birth. You should go through a 9 month gestation and then the actual birth. What I observe is this : LGBT not having a "perfect childhood". so they superimpose what they were lacking upon an innocent, impressionable soul. While the results of this experiment are not yet none, I would hedge everything I have ever learned that this house of cards will fail and fail miserably. Of course im betting against this dude:

www.latimes.com...

If this comes across as mean spirited, I apologize ... I love you all. Just want to see the right in things ( including myself )

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I don't agree that it's the most misused term, but it's like many words (like the word "gay") that have developed specific meaning over the years. And I think the root of the intolerance of homosexuals is fear. We fear the unfamiliar.

So, while some people aren't actually "afraid" of homosexuals or becoming homosexual, if you have "thing" against homosexuality, I believe it comes from fear of the unknown and is actually based in fear.

What would you rather have people call you? Anti-gay? I mean, there are certain people who write thread after thread containing negativity about being gay... What do you expect people to call you? What would make you more comfortable?
edit on 6/16/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

So you 're against adoption in general, then, for anyone? There are a lot of unwanted babies out there and a lot of people who can't have babies. Would you say the same for a heterosexual couple trying to adopt?

There are also a lot of single parents out there who do just fine raising children, so two loving parents, no matter what sex they are, is always better than one. Especially two loving people who want to share that love with a child that was left behind by the one who actually did give birth to them.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I would also categorize people that think gays are trying to convert them or there children as homophobes.
reply to post by Domo1

I get hit on by lesbians. When I politely respond and tell the person I am flattered but I am straight, I have more than once been accused of being closed-minded. I could care less what preferences others have, but respect my preference.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain
I get hit on by lesbians. When I politely respond and tell the person I am flattered but I am straight, I have more than once been accused of being closed-minded.

And how many gay people have been accused of being "closed-minded" for not being interested in straight sex? Thousands, I'd wager... Or more... But we can't judge all straight people of being disrespectful, just because some do it...

I could care less what preferences others have, but respect my preference.

That's the position of the majority of gay people.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The issue, and the reason why it's an issue is because of one simple yet powerful thing:

Conformity.

You see, society has certain expectations and certain rules that everybody is supposed to live by. That is to say, you must follow society's rules or you will get punished and ostracized from society if you don't obey society.

Homosexuals are people who are breaking society's rules. Society says marriage and romance must be between a single man and a woman and anything else is deviant behavior. Homosexuals don't do that.

That's the issue in a nutshell, and why people get all kinds of upset.

People need to learn to not worry what other people do, and mind their own business.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Yes!

In modern America if you dislike or are disgusted by homosexual activity you are automatically afraid of it.

No. Sometimes people just don't don't like things.

I don't like brussel sprouts. Does that make it a phobia?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

ho·mo·pho·bi·a/ˌhōməˈfōbēə/Noun: An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

Source

No, homophobia does not mean that you are secretly gay, it does not mean that you fear turning into a gay, or that you are scared of gays.

It means you have an illogical aversion to homosexuality and the people who claim to be homosexual. Except lesbians of course, cause every hetero person on the planet loves lesbians

The term is used far too often out of context which is why it's lost it's meaning. Will Smith slapping a dude who tried to kiss him is not Homophobic, he's a straight man, I would expect any straight man to act the same when his person was violated as such.

Is that a hate crime? No, hate crimes are the most stupid thing I have ever heard of, whether they be regarding gays, or race based hate crimes, they are the most useless pieces of legislation in existance. But that's another thread entirely.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The term is used to shut down discussion. Homosexuals believe that they can't be criticized because they are huge victims of society.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

And how many gay people have been accused of being "closed-minded" for not being interested in straight sex? Thousands, I'd wager... Or more... But we can't judge all straight people of being disrespectful, just because some do it...

Are you saying that it is ok because other people do it to them?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

The term is used to shut down discussion. Homosexuals believe that they can't be criticized because they are huge victims of society.

That's huge blanket statement, and it counter intuitive to the solution that you seek.

And only people who have absolutely no debate skills could allow a single word to shut down a discussion. That comment you've made is a huge cop out.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I would call the Westboro Baptist church members homophobes. I would not call someone uncomfortable at a gay bar a homophobe.

I could understand that
But I wouldn't call westboro church member homophobes because they are stupid in every social aspect in life
They are just cult stupid

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

It's still the truth. Truth is often unpleasant. Try discussing Homosexuality while criticizing Homosexuals in a diplomatic manner on a forum like Democrat Underground and see what happens, I dare you. I guarantee you, you will get shut down.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I would call it a toss off ( no pun intended ) between homophobia and islamaphobia.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ScatterBrain

I'm not saying it's ok at all. I'm saying don't judge a whole group by the actions of the few. That's all. After all, I've been hit on aggressively by MANY straight guys and I don't consider them all jerks or anything.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Yes!

In modern America if you dislike or are disgusted by homosexual activity you are automatically afraid of it.

No. Sometimes people just don't don't like things.

I don't like brussel sprouts. Does that make it a phobia?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

My uncle From Brussels would say yes to that questions and would have you placed in the gazing stock in the town square where the good people of Brussels would pelt you with brussels while force feeding them to you with no butter.

edit on 09/06/2012 by Azadok2day because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join