It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar sp

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar space - 11billion miles away

Well, an unmanned probe leaving our solar system is hardly humanity conquering space. We haven't even a base on the moon or mars. And it seems this will remain science fiction forever. So, get back to earth with your enthusiasm.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Wish i was on voyager so i don't have to hear about how America is evil in every thread what a disservice to the accomplishment of Voyager 1.

The spirit that lead to the greatest journey of mankind, and to boldy go where no man has gone before

Yeah baby Roddenberry

edit on 15-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Hey just because the American gov is evil doesn't take away anything from NASA accomplishments.

also it wasn't only american scientists that helped made that thing btw

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

My concern is "PIRATES" WHO MAY FIND THE DATA ON IT. I mean WHY didnt scientist place a LOCAL or GENERAL locaiton of EA*RTH. then place a beacon there to communicate with EA*RTH. Instead scientist placed the MAP to EA*RTH out there not considering PIRATES, smh. Achievment MUCH APPRECIATED IN MANKINDS ABILITIES WITH TECHNOLOGY. But yea what about pirates???

edit on 6/15/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

As long as the pirates come to earth bearing space rum and hot alien wenches, I say let 'em come.

2nd line.
edit on 16-6-2012 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Isn’t this the craft that is giving all the alien hordes our location?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Look at everyone jumping up and down praising this nonsense!!!!

FIRSTLY, how does anyone know this is true? The Voyager could of been lost or destroyed long ago.

SECONDLY, This is NASA (need another seven astronauts) we are talking about.....the same people that FAKED the moon landing according to many on here and many round the world.

THIRDLY, isnt this a coincidence that with all this talk of Alien invasions, alien contact that the Voyager has now reached the edge of the solar system.....sounds a little convenient, ripe for some BS story from the US government.

How can anyone believe anything an AMERICAN agency says EVER?????

Think before you flag and wet yourselves with joy!!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

The moon landing wasn't fake. We wouldn't be that lucky or our government that smart. We blew a lot of money to put that flag on the mood and dispose of that junk. Maybe we should fit our satellites with boosters to steer them to crash into the moon from now on, that would also save the taxpayer some money instead of NASA spending 750 mill to crash a rocket into it..

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reading stories like this makes me realize how small and insignificant we are compared to the rest of the universe. Wow. That's pretty awesome.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasteel

My issue is the trillions & trillions of dollars we (NASA) has spent in space. For what exactly? What life changing thing have we learned, what new medicine, what new breakthrough, has any of the money spent brought fourth to benefeit mankind. I aint talking about damn cell phones, or computers, I'm talking something that is worth the damn cost.

As far as the N.Y analogy, Keep looking up space cadet, cause while your looking up, the real world problems that are all around you.... you simply stop paying attention.. If you can't figure that one out, NASA needs you.

NASA has been a money funnel since the day of it;'s creation. Just think how we all could have benefeited from all the $$$$$$$$$$ that's been spent in space and on the space program. That debt America has, let's say it might not be as gigantic as it is now, you suppose?

So keep looking up, as the world crumbles around you. You want notice a a thing...Pretty stars maybe.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six

FIRSTLY, how does anyone know this is true? The Voyager could of been lost or destroyed long ago.

SECONDLY, This is NASA (need another seven astronauts) we are talking about.....the same people that FAKED the moon landing according to many on here and many round the world.

THIRDLY, isnt this a coincidence that with all this talk of Alien invasions, alien contact that the Voyager has now reached the edge of the solar system.....sounds a little convenient, ripe for some BS story from the US government.

How can anyone believe anything an AMERICAN agency says EVER?????

Think before you flag and wet yourselves with joy!!

To respond to your points, in order:

1) We can't know for sure if it's true or not. We're pretty much stuck with NASA's word on the matter :/

2) The moon landing actually happened. There was a time when the restriction of information lent some weight to the hoax theory, but we're well beyond that now. Knowing what we do about the technology of the day, faking it by way of a studio shoot and Hollywood-style production, along with the massive disinformation campaign that would have been required would have been more complicated than just sending them to the moon.

3) NASA doesn't really have much going on right now in way of projects that are really newsworthy. They just retired the shuttle fleet, have two better-than-Hubble telescopes that they have no plans to launch, and nothing more than resupply missions to the ISS in the immediate future. Private companies, such as SpaceX, are upstaging NASA, and it's an election year. They need to produce SOMETHING newsworthy if for no other reason than to maintain their relevance and, more importantly, their budget.

So is this Voyager story true, or is it BS? As much as I despise NASA, my gut feeling is that this is true. The timeline matches, and news that it has reached the edge of the solar system is really more of a PR event than anything else. Telling the world about it didn't cost them anything, since all the work was really done 35 years ago, making this not much more than a status update. Just as easily, they could be making it up for the same PR reasons I mentioned. It just seems that, in the grand scheme of things, lying about the position of Voyager 1 would be silly.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

I wish I could give you as many stars as NASA has spent money, then you six6six would be star rich indeed. NASA, America's biggest money funnel ever.. Trillions & trillions of our taxpayer $$$$$ so folks can get a "warm & fuzzy" about some BS. Let em keep looking up, as the world around them crumbles. Sad, sad indeed.

Voyager 1. Is the taxpayers of 35 years ago's $$$$$. If you were around and working 35 years ago, you should be pissed. A question for you six6six, what's NASA gonna do if in fact this is real & they find something in interstellar space..... I'll tell ya, they'll send a damn aid package of our tax money. Plus a few MRE's... As you can see six6six I find all things NASA as BS. ALLWAYS HAVE ALLWAYS WILL. They have zero to show for all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ pissed away in space . Nothing, nathan, nada. ZILCH. Look six6six....pretty stars. wow.

As you can see, I sure as hell aint no fan of NASA.
edit on 16-6-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

jra

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six

So what if some people get excited by this? How does that affect you personally in any way?

Provide some evidence that it's not true. Otherwise I shall continue to be excited by this news.

Wild claims made by people who have no evidence of such fakery... next.

It's been known for years that the Voyager probes have been getting close to the edge of the solar system. This news isn't completely out of the blue.

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
My issue is the trillions & trillions of dollars we (NASA) has spent in space.

Trillions?! Just how much money do you think NASA gets? The total amount money NASA has received from 1958 - 2011 in nominal dollars is $526.18 billion or in real terms (adjusted for inflation), the figure is $790.0 billion. Not even $1 trillion.

NASA has been a money funnel since the day of it;'s creation. Just think how we all could have benefeited from all the $$$$$$$$$$ that's been spent in space and on the space program. That debt America has, let's say it might not be as gigantic as it is now, you suppose?

The money isn't spent IN space. It's spent here on Earth on peoples salaries and other such things. It creates high tech jobs and helps to push our technological limits. Technology developed for the space program then becomes commercial available. Some of that technology helps to improve our standard of living.

Spending money on NASA can actually have a positive economic impact.
edit on 16-6-2012 by jra because: grammar

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
In my first post within this thread I stated that what was happening was interesting. I do have concerns about what is happening and that includes the ethical, moral and scientific dimensions of a manmade 'drone' type space craft.

There is no person on the craft. There is no human known map of the Universe - so we really don't know how far the craft has travelled - scientists only work on theory and supposition. Don't bag me out yet I am not having a go at the scientists - they work with what they have and make decisions based on best practice - I understand that.

The ethical and moral dimensions on what is happening are what concern me the most - the craft could be a biological hazard and that has been clearly described by a poster within this thread - so my concerns there are justified.

The fact we have starving people - homeless people and pollution and the imminent threat of wide spread direct radioactive contamination from Fukishima (at least for anyone in the northern hemisphere) is a major concern. It becomes a major concern for any Sentient Beings - out there in the Universe as well - who for all we know are scientifically advanced and giving us a wide berth OR keeping us quarantined.

It just makes sense to me - my opinion that is. No one on this site has convinced me to change my mind/opinon and that is what healthy discourse is supposed to do. So for the record - I am not condemning all mankind when I focus on the cost of an unmanned space craft as opposed to feeding the people who are starving - housing those who are homeless - healing those who are ill. I also want to state - and I will be very clear about this - I NEVER belittle anyone on this site - I NEVER tell people to go away or tell them what to think - I NEVER sling insults and I NEVER dismiss anyone's opinions/thoughts - even when I do not agree.

The rant is an attempt to protect myself and my honour at some of the insults and negativity from within this thread.

So - as I continue the discussion within this thread - although the act, we as a human race have sent an unmanned space craft travelling through space and time - I feel that at the very least we should have conducted more research into our own home before we went travelling through space. I imagine that any Sentient Beings that come across our craft will be cautious to say the least - I say this because as an avid researcher of all things Exopolitical - I know we as humans do not always treat Sentient Beings with the same respect we desire for ourselves.

Much Peace...to everyone - here and out there...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion

Yes, and they will be coming to get us.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I see the article is from the dailyfail... really, the "biggest achievement of the human race" is sending a radio thermal generator, a transmitter, and a miniscule amount of basic information on a ballistic course through space for 35 years?

Im just not impressed.

Perhaps if it had been 35 years since disease was eradicated, or since humans decided to clean up the planet of all industrial pollutants, or since humanity decided to get over their differences, fore go war and work together... I might be more enthusiastic.

Congrats. You have a power source and transmitter sailing through space, and its been lucky enough to not be struck / run into a pea-sized asteroid that would probably have devastated it beyond functionality.

If thats the "biggest achievement of the human race"...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

Originally posted by Propulsion

Yes, and they will be coming to get us.
....for food...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
How could that not put a smile on your face.

Because it is ultimately of miniscule significance.

Its a feel good propaganda piece.

jra

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
There is no person on the craft. There is no human known map of the Universe - so we really don't know how far the craft has travelled...

We don't need to have a person on the craft nor do we need a map of the Universe (and we have maps of the known Universe). We know how fast a signal travels from the Earth to the probe (the speed of light) and we can measure the time it takes to get there and back, and from that you can figure out the distance the probe is from the Earth.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jra

If we have maps of the entire Universe why is the unmanned space craft on a journey without a destination? Why not set it on a direct route to a specified destination?

Where can I access the known map of the Universe - of which you speak? Is it a complete map with a boundary that shows where the Universe starts and ends - like a map of the entire Earth?

I still believe that a manmade 'drone' type space craft could very well be a form of space pollution or hazardous waste. Please refer to another poster within this thread who supports my line of thought - intrptr at the bottom of page 7. Posted after my original post.

Much Peace...
edit on 17-6-2012 by Amanda5 because: Adding information

edit on 17-6-2012 by Amanda5 because: Corrected spelling

jra

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
If we have maps of the entire Universe why is the unmanned space craft on a journey without a destination? Why not set it on a direct route to a specified destination?

Maps of the known Universe, not the entire Universe. (Link)

The original primary mission for the two Voyager probes was to explore the outer solar system planets and they have completed that mission. Now the mission is exploring the outer edges of our solar system and the boundary to interstellar space.

There would be no point in sending them to another star system as they'd be long dead before reaching the nearest star. The two Voyager probes probably won't be able to power a single instrument by some time in the 2020's, as the Plutonium will have decayed far too much.

I still believe that a manmade 'drone' type space craft could very well be a form of space pollution or hazardous waste. Please refer to another poster within this thread who supports my line of thought - intrptr at the bottom of page 7. Posted after my original post.

It will eventually become a piece of space junk, but space is incredibly massive and the Voyager probes are incredibly tiny by comparison. The chances of some one coming across them are quite small. Also, I would not be too concerned about the Plutonium-238, since it has a half-life of 87 years and emits alpha particles. I don't consider that to be the "most toxic stuff on Earth". There are far worse and more powerful/harmful types of radiation in space. If radiation is a concern for you, then the small amounts of Plutonium on the Voyager probes should be the least of your worries.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
this is incredible but scaled down its the equivalent to me stepping out my house and down the step. not very far at all.... still a big achievment tho

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join