It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar sp

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Is this how aliens learn about us and destroy us? That'd be pretty brutal.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by duhPUNX

If Intergalactic Sentient Life wanted to destroy us - they have had ample time and opportunity to do so - a manmade craft is not going to influence their actions.

If I were an Intergalactic Sentient Being - I would steer clear of anything from Earth - I would view it as a biological hazard and keep it quarantined - and warn others.

Much Peace...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well let's not get to excited I bet there's going to be a lot of secrecy to what the voyager is going to see.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
There's still the Oort Cloud to pass through, the edge of which is a light year away from the sun and can be considered a part of its overall system.
Past that, Voyager will then truly be in the empty no-man's land.
edit on 15-6-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
How could that not put a smile on your face.
People are awesome... well, most of them.

It's a box of metal that's capable of signaling its position. I can't get excited or happy about something as irrelevant as this.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
As I think of Voyager,and where its going,I think of this song.............close your eyes. Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

What if theres someone aboard Voyager, and they arent telling us

JIMMY HOFFA

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This is an example of humanity at our BEST. We have built the tower, ascended it and launched our arrow into the sky, hoping to deliver a message that may or may not transcend our own existence as a species. Now, no matter what madness may consume us here, in our cradle, we have a message in a bottle on a distant trip into the unknown, conveying our message to intangible ends. No matter what happens here, we have evidence that we existed, thrived, created and LIVED.

Another kind of "probe" we may consider is to send dozens, if not thousands, of other traveler probes into different directions into the cosmos, each with several vials of DNA and genetic material from our world. One day, these probes may seed other worlds and somehow continue our chain of life which was most likely seeded as well. Further, if a significantly advanced intelligence were to happen upon this DNA, it/they might be able to somehow "reconstitute" our entire existence based on the variety of the DNA provided. Wouldn't that be something?

Exploration and sojourn = immortality.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
what a machine, all the firsts it achieved and now its going headfirst into the oort cloud, i wonder if it will get pulverized? we need a new standard for engineering nowadays,follow voyagers example.. "built to milk"!.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Or they might trace it back to earth, they arrive here suck the planet dry of h2o and decide to mine the entire planet for its rich minerals and they might consider humans to be a lower species, and they can do with us as they feel fit just like we treat cattle.

Rule one: Do Not broadcast ones position" I would have liked to think the smart people understood this.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

Don't worry, by the time they find us we'll have mined the Earth hollow and moved onward

edit on 16/6/12 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I was waiting for a good reason to reset my calendar. Found it.

So... 3... 2.... 1...

Happy new year!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
That's great news but there is this thing - humans may have done further than being told, afterall it]'s either aliens or really humans have technology travel to Mars and beyond and does anyone tell you anything?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This is not a big deal. Eric Cartman's already been to space like 4 times

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
Has any poster here considered the fact - as brilliant as it seems - we could simply be polluting space with an unmanned space vehicle?????

We have yet to agree - in total unison - whether lifeforms on Earth are the only sentient lifeforms in the Universe. We have all but completely polluted our own beautiful planet Earth and people are excited about a piece of machinery that represents what? Space exploration? Human capability?

We have not yet fed the starving, housed the homeless, left animals to their own lives, cured diseases, learned to live in peace, we have yet to share without financial cost ... do I need to continue to make my point??

What is happening is a man made craft is floating out in what some human thinks is the far reaches of outer space - the reality is - we don't know where space or the Universe or Time ends - or starts - how the blazes do we know the man made craft hasn't just gone as far as the nearest corner??? We don't know????

Interesting - yes. Mind blowingly fabulous - no. Constructive towards our evolvement - no.

Much Peace...

The gall of some people. Stop posting, you're wasting the time you should be spending making meals for the homeless or organizing a shoe drive. Your vacuous negativity seems hypocritical. Also, there is already a word for evolvement: evolution.

To the OP: Cool stuff. It's been a long time waiting for that little guy to make it out.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Wow, that's seriously amazing. You know what bugs me....We can achieve so much, but us as Humans, we are so corrupt in our own ways, like is seriously saddens me. Like look, we sent a probe that is now 11,100,000,000 miles away, but as a race we are so greedy and corrupt and cruel, I wish we could all just do good. We can achieve such greatness if we all put all this crap aside and realize we all are Humans and we all live on the same planet, just something I thought. Its like I'm happy but disappointed at the same time.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
Or they might trace it back to earth, they arrive here suck the planet dry of h2o and decide to mine the entire planet for its rich minerals and they might consider humans to be a lower species, and they can do with us as they feel fit just like we treat cattle.

Rule one: Do Not broadcast ones position" I would have liked to think the smart people understood this.

Why is it always water? You'd think if they can travel the stars they can press oxygen and hydrogen together... or just, ya know, take it from Europa.

Now if you said they were coming for the pastrami, I would totally buy that.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Right now these two voyager probes are traveling at (depending on who you ask) about 15 km per second. If you could stand there in vacuum and see it go by, you wouldn't see it.

hypertextbook.com...

Thats about 7 miles per second. And what a message we sent along with it. A golden disk that tells of our history and our exact whereabouts! That will be useful information to whomever finds this thing as it also contains several pounds of decaying plutonium.

Once the nuclear battery on board rots and releases its cargo the whole of voyager and some small region of space around the satellite will become covered in decaying isotopes of the most toxic stuff on Earth.

I wonder what any who find it will think of that?

"Greetings form the people of Planet Earth."

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join