It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think you're smart? New research shows that smart people are dumber than stupid people. Wait,what?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Sounds pretty correct.

I always thought Malcolm X was one of the smartest guys I ever read about. He was late to the game. I like that he did not talk down to people. You could tell that he did not think he was better than others even though he had things figured better than most he was in contact with.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i have always known this. i have always resisted education as not to only partially develop one area of the brain. i meditate quite a lot to develop complete global eeg coherence.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Some research this is!! Someone has been stroking their ego trying to make himself feel better!

It is stupid to look at all the hidden details. But my guess is that $1.00 U.S = $1.05 CDN the american bought a ball and bat from Canada. What a strange man! The extra 5 cents for the ball, he found on the ground. Or was in his pocket full of lint. I dunno make something up of where he got the extra 5 cents. :p
edit on 15-6-2012 by Shrukin89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

The study examined idiots who think that they're smart, and then it came away with the only conclusion possible, but screwed up by making the same kind of assumption about the idiots that the idiots they studied made about themselves - that they were actually smart.

Pretty ironic.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Reminds me of the movie Captain America, which I finally watched last night! SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

The scene where the drill sergeant told them the first one to get the flag will get a ride back while the rest had to run.................................

lma off when the dude walked up and pulled the pin!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

"Unfortunately, that's how our world is skewed towards today. To confuse, confound and convince. Politicians, lawyers, bankers and conmen do it all the time - using word play/semantics to succeed, presuming, preening with haughtiness to browbeat the simple minded, to leave them behind inorder to rob them blind."

Just want to add that these leaders love nothing more than watching us spin our wheels arguing over who is right. They help us along in our endeavors. They divide us along religious lines, politics, race, sex, education, economics, and the list goes on and on!

"The 'smart' ones are truly dumber than the rest. We, as a species, are truly dumb if we are to face the challenges of life ALONE, for one may good at one or a few issues, but is totally an idiot over others. Therefore, we humanity must cut the ego and false pride, and work Together as one, complementing each other's diverse talents for the overall good of society, nation and Earth."

Through many eyes we can see as one. Great post! Sending out a good vibe!

edit on 15-6-2012 by TRGreer because: Typo

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

It took me forever trying to figure out why the ball wasn't $0.10... by that rationale, I must be a freakin' genius!

I'm in it for the label, anyway.

edit on 14-6-2012 by Cuervo because: Coffee...

I am too!!!!

I almost argued my point even though I was wrong so that means I could be a politician or a lawyer!

Woo - Hoo!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRGreer

"Unfortunately, that's how our world is skewed towards today. To confuse, confound and convince. Politicians, lawyers, bankers and conmen do it all the time - using word play/semantics to succeed, presuming, preening with haughtiness to browbeat the simple minded, to leave them behind inorder to rob them blind."

Just want to add that these leaders love nothing more than watching us spin our wheels arguing over who is right. They help us along in our endeavors. They divide us along religious lines, politics, race, sex, education, economics, and the list goes on and on!

"The 'smart' ones are truly dumber than the rest. We, as a species, are truly dumb if we are to face the challenges of life ALONE, for one may good at one or a few issues, but is totally an idiot over others. Therefore, we humanity must cut the ego and false pride, and work Together as one, complementing each other's diverse talents for the overall good of society, nation and Earth."

That's actually very insightful.... watch your back, the two party system don't like it when you get too close in undertanding them!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Here’s a simple arithmetic question:

there is the give away...

X+Y=1.1

X=Y+1

X-1=Y.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by TRGreer

That's actually very insightful.... watch your back, the two party system don't like it when you get too close in undertanding them!

If I watch your back and you watch mine so to speak then there is no reason to fear but what if we all started watching each others back. Unity of humanity is only a pipe dream because we don't believe in ourselves individually or as a whole. I believe .... how about you? Sending a positive vibe for ya!

edit on 15-6-2012 by TRGreer because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2012 by TRGreer because: More typo's ... Cruses!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My answer is still the same. MOST people are dumb.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well from personal experience (which is sad to admit) I have answered some simple questions wrong, like on these new-age online job applications wrong because I have over analyze some trick questions. Very upsetting. But I think "smart people" over analyze simple questions while others can get to the point. Or maybe its just a different type of thought process for others. Very interesting study though.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
There are different kinds of intelligence. Not everyone is a rocket scientist. Not everyone is a Mathematician. I see intelligence in everyone, intellect that is based on their interests. You can't learn much about something if you aren't interested. I see people flaunting their knowledge all the time. Those who say they are the best at things or are more intelligent are usually full of hot air. They tend to use Ad Hominum a lot and require evidence by certified individuals.

I agree with this thread even though it probably means I am the stupidest person in the world
I am aware of things though, I have more of a rational mind than knowledgeable mind. We only have so many brain cells, if we fill them with knowledge we loose common sense.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

The vast majority of people respond quickly and confidently, insisting the ball costs ten cents. This answer is both obvious and wrong. (The correct answer is five cents for the ball and a dollar and five cents for the bat.)

Who cares about the answer.

I'm smarter than the test writers. I would not be stupid enough to ask a question in such a tricky way as to foul someone up. Real life doesn't work that way because nobody communicates in that manner. Communication evolved so we could relate to each other and understand each other. It's much more straight forward than those authors would have you believe.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Hey, did I get to post in here before some idiot started talking about the "Multiple theories of intelligence" where kicking a ball is a form of intelligence?

Am I too late?

Or has someone actually confused knowledge for intelligence?

I wanted to get here early... but I had important things to do... lol

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

edit on 3-7-2012 by keldas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

You cant teach an expert anything as thy think they already know everything eh eh

all we really know for sure 100% is we dont know much

Man has lost his knowledge of the most ancient truth and wisdom, namely, that he is the criterion for all Creative things, in creation of Creation's own perfection within itself.

We are the Creation

All the big scientific discoveries are by people who haven't been taught consensus by an institution, they have no boundaries then

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Seems about right, although I wouldn't say smart people are dumber than stupid people.

So, what they are saying is that smart people tend to create shortcuts to get things done that make assumptions that aren't always based on facts and real world probabilities.

You could go so far as to say all "knowledge" is based on assumptions rather than facts. Math, science, and language itself is built on assumptions and presuppositions.

Cool articles thanks for sharing.

Actually, from my understand, IQ tests are just assessing a person's ability to predict. People with higher IQ's are just better at it. Predicting is like assuming, isn't it?

Read this:
phys.org...

Researchers have discovered that the brain saves energy by predicting what it is likely to see. According to scientists in the Department of Psychology at the University of Glasgow in collaboration with the Max-Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, Germany, the visual cortex does not simply react to visual stimuli but proactively predicts what it is likely to see in any given context - for example, within familiar environments such as your house or office.

My IQ is average according to my SAT score. For a long time I didn't want to know what my IQ was but then I researched a bit and saw that IQ correlated with SAT. And when I was younger there was a IQ-like book we had in class and I sucked at the few I did. Always felt dumb and I always finish tests last in the classes I've been in. I've known smart people and they're SMART. I don't know and I don't how, but they're just quicker. More creative with how they solve problems.

IMHO, people in this thread want some feel-good. There's a lot of hate towards smarter people. Thing is, I'm not jealous of smarter people. I'd like to be smarter, but I don't feel spite towards them. We all have something to offer in different ways and we all can't be the same. Jealousy is stupid, actually.

If you can't change reality then just stop hating, stop spreading negative things. Eveyr negative them stays in the environment just like pollution. "What goes around comes around."
edit on 4-7-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by enlightenspirit
Well from personal experience (which is sad to admit) I have answered some simple questions wrong, like on these new-age online job applications wrong because I have over analyze some trick questions. Very upsetting. But I think "smart people" over analyze simple questions while others can get to the point. Or maybe its just a different type of thought process for others. Very interesting study though.

It's just the opposite. Smart people get the right answer in the quickest simplest way.

People who over-analyze are just dumb and can't figure it out.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join