It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think you're smart? New research shows that smart people are dumber than stupid people. Wait,what?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by enlightenspirit
Well from personal experience (which is sad to admit) I have answered some simple questions wrong, like on these new-age online job applications wrong because I have over analyze some trick questions. Very upsetting. But I think "smart people" over analyze simple questions while others can get to the point. Or maybe its just a different type of thought process for others. Very interesting study though.

It's just the opposite. Smart people get the right answer in the quickest simplest way.

People who over-analyze are just dumb and can't figure it out.

I myself over-analyze a lot of things. I've been blamed for doing it numerous times. I love to bury myself in details, can't explain why. But I rarely produce practical RIGHT answers.

If I was smart I'd have quick simple answers. Just proves that I'm actually dumb.

So I think you just need to reverse your thinking and it'll be more correct.
edit on 4-7-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wouldn't a normal person just check the price tags on the said products, instead of involving themselves in some riddle put forth by the seller? Also who cares what the per object price is if the total amount is both known and affordable(and it fills ones request for a ball and bat)?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
1+1=1 how much piles of sand do you have if you combine 2 piles.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ariastel
1+1=1 how much piles of sand do you have if you combine 2 piles.
That depends on what you combine the piles of sand in to and how big the piles are.
If you pour one pile onto the other, then you still have one pile, albeit with more sand than either original pile had before they were combined.

If you combine the piles and fill sand bags with them, and end up with 40 sand bags, you don't have any piles of sand and have 40 full sand bags.

If both piles when combined equals the volume of a wheelbarrow, and they are poured into the wheelbarrow, then you have no piles and one wheelbarrow full of sand.

If you take both piles a few hundred miles off-shore and combine them in the ocean, you probably won't have any pile at all.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is retarded. The article is absolute rubbish. There's a difference between being a certain kind of "smart" and actually being intelligent. There's plenty of things that heuristics help out with, and other times lateral combined with analytical thinking is king. None of this is mutually exclusive.

I'm thinking of the dolts who bother with college, ace material, but lack any big-picture thinking. Mindless factoids that can perhaps handle details well, short-cut the basics, but lack any original thought. That's not really intelligent, but it might pass from laymen as being "smart".

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I've been aware of this, and considered it something like the difference between what we call "street smarts" and "being educated".

I often irritate people with my "mouse medicine" , noticing the tiniest details and inconsistancies, being ultra focused on the exact words I use, or movements I make, being accused of "thinking too much". But dammit, that has saved me from mistakes even while in a group where everyone but me was coming to the same conclusion, and they all turned out wrong! This sometimes really pisses people off, because I bring things into question that everyone would like to just wrap up quickly and move on.

I think, when you are educated, you get lazy about attention to details that are not specified by the source authority.
You get used to following the direction indicated about what is important to pay attention to, and what isn't.

If you've had to determine that for yourself, for your own survival, (there's no one to get your back if you miss a detail) you just get into this habit of being overly sensitive to all details.

LOL! Then you become a "concern troll", picking out "irrelevant details" and inconsistancies which upset the flow and consesus in a group.......

I would say, that though this is being painted as "being smart" I don't think it is being smart nor stupid, it is a certain behaviorism or way of thinking that can be helpful in some contexts, a handicap in others.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
We have a bunch of Ivy league MBS's running our country.

Proof enough for me.

Haha that was awesome.

I

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well, I would say I am smart. And I do use shortcuts in my head to figure out things more quickly all the time, especially with math. This usually just helps me figure things out very quickly, but sometimes does cause me to make a really stupid error, and be really confident in what I'm saying, when if I just actually looked at and thought about the specifics I would see it was just a nonsensical slipup. I think that's the sort of thing it's talking about. Certainly doesn't mean that smart people are dumber than stupid people, lol. More susceptible to stupid errors, probably.
edit on 11-7-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: IanPaul
Well now you have gone and taken a potentially scientific discussion and thoroughly debunked it with a mis-translation of a translation of a book written about 1500 years ago from stories passed down verbally for about 600 years.

God be with you my son; you're gonna need it.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metatronin
Wouldn't a normal person just check the price tags on the said products, instead of involving themselves in some riddle put forth by the seller? ...

What if you are the person who has to makes the price tags.
edit on 7/11/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: FortAnthem

I'd like to see a team of stupid people build an aircraft engine or design a liquid fuel rocket.

Then we'll see who comes out on top.....or in one piece....

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

About time time they called out psychiatry for what is it. Pseudoscience disguised as mental care for their fellow human being. Intelligent people given a degree in psychiatry, no-one questions the roots of psychiatry as a mode of behaviour modification working for the pocket of the the doctor/charlatan and the policies of the State.

Good thread...I admit I am smart and dumb most of the time.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Yes IQ tests certainly confirm I am a lot dumber than I ever thought.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That is so dumb you must be smart is how much ; )
Or as the old timer said to the city slicker,
you must be a really smart feller.

edit on 11-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

This sounds like scientists poorly constructing a study.

When so many studies broach subjects of obscure relevance I can see why they are clutching at straws...more funding to run with. Gotta pay the rent somehow.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
When Einstien went to get his brakes fixed, who was the smartest guy in the garage? Every bodies smart when you know something somebody else don't.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The study isn't about intelligence OR stupidity. Look at the title: cognitive sophistication does not attenuate the bias blindspot.

Nothing about intelligence or stupidity. Just saying that everyone is vulnerable to cognitive bias, which is nothing new. People are people, no matter how "cognitively sophisticated" they are.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join