It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think you're smart? New research shows that smart people are dumber than stupid people. Wait,what?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I would love to see a CSQ standard to contradict traditional IQ measures. (CSQ = Common Sense Quotient)

Plenty of highly intelligent people (book smart) who can't even cook a pot of noodles. My younger brother who is gifted with photographic retention of information didn't learn to ride a two wheeler until he was in 8th grade because he never thought it was important. I was 3 when I learned.

He's a wiz with organic chemistry but can't follow directions to build a simple playground. Amazing how our brains function...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I would love to see a CSQ standard to contradict traditional IQ measures. (CSQ = Common Sense Quotient)

Plenty of highly intelligent people (book smart) who can't even cook a pot of noodles. My younger brother who is gifted with photographic retention of information didn't learn to ride a two wheeler until he was in 8th grade because he never thought it was important. I was 3 when I learned.

He's a wiz with organic chemistry but can't follow directions to build a simple playground. Amazing how our brains function...

You compared people to yourself, but you are clearly not dumb or stupid, you have intelligence, probably on the upper end of "average" or higher. (average is anywhere from 85 to 115 on the IQ scale and covers 68% of the population)

The only people capable of creating it are the ones who disagree with it, so it's not going to be created. Also keep in mind that "common sense" comes with experience. The examples you gave are examples based on experience. If those people you mentioned dedicted time and effort, they would be more than capable of doing the things you mentioned. However, someone without intelligence would not be able to do what those people do no matter how much time and effort they dedicated to it.

The highly intelligent are very capable of doing anything that the less intelligent is capable of doing, they just choose not to, but they could learn how to much more quickly then someone without the intelligence could who didn't have the "skill" due to exposure to it over a long period of time.

A few of us are more like MacGuyver and can do both. Since they are not mutually exclusive, they cannot be considered "opposite". You would have to show someone who could do all the possible skill sets yet not be able to read or write, not be able to add, subtract, multiply or divide, not be able to communicate in their native language and so on.

So, essentially, IQ IS a measure of "common sense", that's exactly what it measures. The "sense" that every person possesses, not a physical skill set but cognitive ability. IQ tests also measure the ability to solve problems and find solutions such as constructing items, pairing items etc.

Think for a moment. Did you ride a bike on your first try or did you have to fall over again and again and again? Were you able to construct something successfully the first time you tried or did you make mistakes in it? Those are skills, not intelligence or "common sense".

You are labeling it "common sense", but it's actually just a set of skills acquired over a length of time not pertaining to intelligence or lack of intelligence. Skills can be acquired by anyone (with the ability to move their body...Stephen Hawking wouldn't be able to due to his body not moving, not anything related to his intelligence) willing to give the time and effort to acquire them. Some skills would take longer than others and some are more inclined for certain skills due to body structure. The issue is confusing intelligence with ability, they are two very different things.

.... and you are intelligent enough to see those differences, so you wouldn't be "stupid" to start with. Perhaps "less smart" then your brother, but not "stupid".

edit on 15-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Something someone once said sticks with me. There is a difference between ignorant and stupid.

Ignorant means you DON'T know, Stupid means you CAN'T know. Having ignorance of something doesn't mean you aren't capable, it just means you haven't been exposed to it. Stupid means you are not capable in any way, shape or form.

The "highly intelligent" may be ignorant of certain common skills, and can gain those skills if they dedicate the time and energy to it. The "stupid" aren't capable of doing what is considered intelligent regardless of how much time and effort they dedicate to it.

You can always move "down" the scale, but you can't move "up" the scale.

Those who speak out most often against the "academic elite" are not "stupid" at all, they just chose to not go in that direction. It doesn't make them stupid at all, just ignorant of the information (not knowing as opposed to being incapable of knowing)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
People take things to personal. Use what you have, do not let societal/cultural preconceptions define your own level of intelligence, or the means in which you express it.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. Albert Einstein

edit on 15-6-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Why Smart People Are Stupid

Because some people who fancy themselves as "Smart because they are stupid" believe this trash?

Is that the reason?

Look, smart means something, and stupid is the opposite of smart.

Stupid people are stupid, and smart people are smart.

Why can't all of you stupid people just accept the fact that smart people are smart, and move on with your lives, instead of letting your EGO drag you down the road of violent jealousy, and anti-intelligence?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The wording of that basic question is tricky, wrong answer as always. Anyways, everyone can be prone to having a bias blind spot with anything. Depends on the situation and the type of people they are...

In the end, to me, everyone is smart, we just happen to have different types of intelligence. Some people can do some things while they can't do others. Those same people who can do those other things cannot do some things. Doesn't mean they're stupid just means we all think differently. Doesn't help that society only seems to focus on one type of intelligence; ignoring the rest.

These are the ignorant words of someone who failed most of their academic career.
edit on 15-6-2012 by undergroundlight because: stuff

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
When someone is used to being right all the time it's easier to obtain that bias blind-spot. I failed the bat&ball answer too, then facepalmed when I realized what I did wrong.

What bothers me are all the textbook geniuses. You know the ones who read something and then repeat it later with an sense of smugness. The knowledge to understanding ratio is skewed in this world. People know a lot but understand little. I suspect our social nature and groupthink helps make this possible. Another one of those mental shortcuts that usually helps us, but occasionally makes us look/feel like idiots.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So you're saying I answered the sample question above correctly because I'm dumb?
I immediately recognized it as "one of those" questions.

I think this study is pretty weak. Answering a question like that has no real repercussion so people will answer more quickly intelligent or not. In the face of a REAL decision intelligent people may initially consider the shortcut, but may hold off on taking action based on it and consider other options. This sounds like scientists poorly constructing a study.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
gitnerdone on time and on budget
them are smarts

when a person THINKS they are smart or educated they often close their minds
I have world wide and continantal and national number ones at various businesses because I was smart enough to start at the bottom where the problems were

while the hi priced educated talent never left the front office
and so never got the right answer...

they got paid a lot for nothing I got paid not to much for a lot
ha ha
there is smart and there is smart

damn Im glad Canadian beerstores sell single cans

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If I have learned anything it is that I know nothing...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence and intelligence is often mistaken for wisdom.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Thank you for the excellent thread topic.

I have been trying to explain and elaborate upon these aspects of thinking and self-awareness for a long time here at ATS, nice to see mainstream science is slowly catching up with the program.

One of the most important things scientists must realize is that they too are bias, and misled by "belief" and rely on "faith" and as the article said "short cuts".

Finding the truth is a very complex and difficult prospect. It requires close inspection of all elements and evaluation of their propensities or implications.

The primary key tool we can use in order to dispel our own false beliefs, is to question them. Question yourself and everything you "think" you "know".

The fact is that you will find out that things you learned throughout the years were mostly untrue or out of context and misrepresented.

I have been doing this for years and every single day I find out that things I had believed in have no basis in reality and that they were either fabrications or misunderstandings.

For example Christopher Columbus, the famous "story" about him and "America" is believed by nearly everyone among the populace, it is taught in all of our schools nearly, and we hardly question it. People don't even want to know otherwise if their belief is false (as per some emotional comfort stance).

However in reality, if you study the history of this "individual" closely, you will come to discover the facts and the truth --- that over 90% of the specifics in that story are entirely fabricated. It is a fable now, little better than mythology itself in relation to evidence and technicalities.
edit on 15-6-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Then I must really be smart because I took your example and made an algebraic equation to represent the problem and came up with:

Ball= x
Bat= 1 + x

1 + x + x = 1.10
1 + 2x = 1.10
2x = .10
x = .05

Ball = .05 cents
Bat = 1.05

I'm not a stupidly smart person! Yay!!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
I think i understand what they are saying and their choice of words makes it sound backwards.

Im smart but i always have stupid people telling me im stupid.these stupid people think they are smart.

See what i mean?

I definetely see what you mean, and totally agree with your post!!!!!! I think it really boils down to intelligence, knowledge, common sense. Not Smart vs Stupid

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

That doesn't mean he is less intelligent or has less common sense. It simply means he has different priorities about what he wanted/wants to learn.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Oh and one more thing, it is imperative that individuals must realize that the ultimate tool in increasing their awareness and discerning fact from fiction, is the art of inquisition.

Questioning others is a very good trait, but questioning yourself is even more powerful.

Most folks will automatically feel shamed or embarrassed when they realize they were wrong, and will either attempt to escape the debate or will continually stick to their guns despite the fact they ran out of ammo. This is a fallacious stance and highly detrimental to self-development.

The key here is in recognizing when one is incorrect, and then reevaluating their own beliefs, and making corrections where necessary or warranted to their belief system. Of course it is impossible to eliminate our belief systems all together but we can indeed make vast improvements upon the accuracy of it's deliberations.

Balance is important, because in the real world it is necessary to have "some beliefs" in order to achieve a good survival rate % statistically. If you believe that cyanide is dangerous to ingest, than your belief is keeping you alive because it is factually revealed through practice that it indeed is harmful. That is not 100% proof that cyanide always kills, because in theory we could find individuals who developed resistances or other methods of mitigating it's negative chemical effects. But that is difficult to determine as we are all led to believe it's extremely deadly therefore we avoid taking large doses and so will probably never really experiment enough to disprove the assumption and reveal a human with innate natural resistance.

Point is, many beliefs exist because we are survival oriented. Many of them have kept us alive longer.
However at the same time, we must realize that we humans have overcome many of the negative aspects of nature itself and over time, many of our beliefs became inconsistent with human development. In many other instances, complete fabrications were passed along in order to control others or profit off of them, and these beliefs can become especially destructive depending on the circumstances.

So we have all kinds of different beliefs, and many of them have different reasons for existing. Some are legitimate and reasonable, while others are illegitimate and unreasonable.

Life is a balancing act. Thinking and learning is as well. We must remain open to alternative possibilities and suggestions until we can determine through diligent thought/study which is the most likely scenario.

Never go down on yourself when you find yourself wrong. Uplift yourself, for those who are aware of their own faults can take action to improve upon them and lessen their detriment. Admitting when you are wrong is 10 times more powerful and important for the process of learning than is believing you are right without sufficient reasoning to back it up.

How about me? I am wrong every day about several things. And that is what I became aware of in the course of the day! Who knows what I am wrong about which I haven't discovered yet? Possibilities are nearly limitless.

If I make 5 posts on ATS in a day, odds are I am wrong about at least an aspect or two in each post, or failed to elaborate significantly enough to entertain the varied plethora of possibility. If I were to revel in pride and arrogance, I would never grow or learn anything. I would never come to accept that I am wrong every day, and I would not be able to push myself towards the truth.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister

It is interesting to note that (IN GENERAL!) the older humans get, and the less physically malleable our brains become the more "hard headed" we tend to be. (literally... I guess!)

the Billmeister

That's not true! I want cell phones outlawed because it's right and logical. That doesn't make me old and hard headed. That, my friend, makes me smart. Oh wait, that doesn't work on this thread does it? lol

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Oh and one more thing, it is imperative that individuals must realize that the ultimate tool in increasing their awareness and discerning fact from fiction, is the art of inquisition.

Questioning others is a very good trait, but questioning yourself is even more powerful.

Yes, it is a person who doesn't question that is "stupid". If you take everything at face value when told, you will never learn anything for yourself. As you say, it is also important to question yourself because it leaves you open to receiving more information.

Most folks will automatically feel shamed or embarrassed when they realize they were wrong, and will either attempt to escape the debate or will continually stick to their guns despite the fact they ran out of ammo. This is a fallacious stance and highly detrimental to self-development.

You know, I might get stubborn sometimes when it comes to debating something, but I can definitely say that when I find out I am wrong, I am NEVER ashamed to admit it. In fact, the only thing that gets my goad about being wrong is when someone rubs it in my face even after I admit it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

You know, I might get stubborn sometimes when it comes to debating something, but I can definitely say that when I find out I am wrong, I am NEVER ashamed to admit it. In fact, the only thing that gets my goad about being wrong is when someone rubs it in my face even after I admit it.

I agree I am no fan of unnecessary punishment for someone who is technically innocent and willing to make corrections.

When I had realized that in my own mind that I was mistakenly feeling shame when I figured out that I was wrong, I was finally able to take action to reverse that and instead of shame, attempt to find pride and honor in admitting my own faults openly without reservation.

Pride in itself is not negative or positive per se, but rather it depends on how it is applied or misapplied. For example I am very proud of my son and daughter, and how far they have come and the accomplishments they have made. This again reverts to the survival instinct, because it is beneficial to survival that I get endorphin releases when I help my children learn new things.

That is why it is so important for us to reverse the social meme that being wrong is shameful. Realizing you are wrong and correcting it increases the survival rates significantly, especially when over a long period of time with many instances of correction/adaptation.

Failing to admit one's own faults is extremely detrimental in many cases and leads to lower survival rates. This can be shown again and again in countless situations that have actually occurred all around us.

What does this all mean? It means that the human race is harming it's own survival odds as a result of unnecessary conflicts and crisis which derive directly from an arrogant refusal to admit one's own fault.

It is in our best interests as a species to not only admit when we are wrong, but seek out everything and reevaluate it and see if it is wrong too. Balance again is a primary concern, because we don't want to become overzealous and assume everything is wrong flat out (as this is the extreme opposite of those who think all of their ideas are 'right'). We must seek a balance of the two forces in order to empower ourselves.
edit on 15-6-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Not to mention that refusing to admit you are wrong means you would rather continue on with knowingly false information and then spread it around most likely to people who don't question the veracity of said information.

What a travesty to yourself and society!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join