It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Largest Cave has a Jungle and a Waterfall

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

Unique perspective. I guess it'd be nice to live there. The cave could always later be named after you.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Guided tours of the cave, not to bad a price either, doesnt include airfare though

Sigh, maybe after my kids leave the nest lol.

ITINERARY AT A GLANCE Day 1: Dong Hoi Town – Phong Nha Ke Bang NP – En Cave Day 2: En Cave - Discover Son Doong Cave – return to En Cave Day 3: Back to Dong Hoi Town PRICE FOR PRIVATE TRIP (Per person) 2 person: US$ 999 3 persons: US$ 799 4-6 persons: US$ 699 7-9 persons: US$ 649 10 persons: US$ 599.

source

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
An amazing creation of our creator. This really a beautiful place

reply to post by Juggernog

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
My uncle actually led the first western camera crew through that cave. I'll try to find his show again

edit on 15-6-2012 by jephers0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lunchmanstan

There's some fantastic caves in Pennsylvania, especially along the the border with Kentucky, so many yet to be 'dug open', keep on looking bro, you'll find them. Huge tracts of your state along the Kentucky border are massive karst plateaus pot holed with entrances that are filled with overburden. Yup, plenty of virgin cave passage still to be found! I have visited that area many times with the Potomac Speleological Society. Having the opportunity to venture down into the bowels of 'Memorial Day Cave' with that group was something I will always remember. I'm heading back down to 'Germany Valley' in August for 3 weeks.

It's a shame the powers that be just concreted over those cave entrances
Usually what happens now is that local caving groups will purchase the lands that the caves are on. This way they can throw a gate over the cave entrances and control who enters the cave systems. This not only saves lives but also saves the ecology of the cave systems by not having hundreds of people going in and out of them at a time.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Pretty cool. I can almost imagine dinosaurs there lol

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Great place to shoot a movie.
Journey to the center of the earth 3,
anyone anyone?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
heard about it some time ago, let's hope people don't destroy it!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This is just amazing! I just saw the other pictures of the Forest and Waterfall in google images. *sigh* The wonders of the Earth.

edit on 6/16/2012 by Labdarex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

My brother and I have been avid climbers and spelunkers(when possible) all our lives, but we've had no luck in the area we live now(Edwards Plateau in Texas hill country). For a brief time it seemed we had an "in" to a spelunkers' group for our area--they apparently did location and mapping of the systems in the State parks and everything.
It didn't pan out for reasons I'm not totally clear on..and I've not been able to find or contact any other groups for this area!
Would you by any chance know anyone, or be able to help me locate a group that operates here?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This is incredible. I love when we find things like this. Nature has so many cool places. I want to see them all.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
reply to post by lunchmanstan

There's some fantastic caves in Pennsylvania, especially along the the border with Kentucky, so many yet to be 'dug open', keep on looking bro, you'll find them. Huge tracts of your state along the Kentucky border are massive karst plateaus pot holed with entrances that are filled with overburden. Yup, plenty of virgin cave passage still to be found! I have visited that area many times with the Potomac Speleological Society. Having the opportunity to venture down into the bowels of 'Memorial Day Cave' with that group was something I will always remember. I'm heading back down to 'Germany Valley' in August for 3 weeks.

It's a shame the powers that be just concreted over those cave entrances
Usually what happens now is that local caving groups will purchase the lands that the caves are on. This way they can throw a gate over the cave entrances and control who enters the cave systems. This not only saves lives but also saves the ecology of the cave systems by not having hundreds of people going in and out of them at a time.

Ummm.... Pennsylvania doesn't boarder Kentucky..... and Kentucky caves are much longer and more plentiful than PA caves are. I've lived in both states.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
If you're on the North America continent, Mamoth Cave is an awesome place to visit. Carter Caves is not far from it and also very interesting.

www.nps.gov...

Mammoth Cave National Park preserves the cave system and a part of the Green River valley and hilly country of south central Kentucky. This is the world's longest known cave system, with more than 390 miles explored. Early guide Stephen Bishop called the cave a "grand, gloomy and peculiar place," but its vast chambers and complex labyrinths have earned its name - Mammoth.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

wow THAT would be an ideal place to go on honeymoon. Kust kidding. I love places like that, its not just the scenic beauty, its the calm, the psacefulness, so far removed from the dreary bustle of daily life

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

wow THAT would be an ideal place to go on honeymoon. Kust kidding. I love places like that, its not just the scenic beauty, its the calm, the psacefulness, so far removed from the dreary bustle of daily life

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsurugi

This is the most active group that I am aware of in Texas for that area especially.

Texas Speleological Association

The Edwards Plateau in Texas is a MASSIVE karst area and one of the most under-studied and misunderstood systems in North America. Some cavers I have spoken to at the NSS conventions say that only about 3-7% of all the possible caves have been found (about 150). They know this due to the amount of large voids that have been found over the years when home owners and farmers have sank small diameter well shafts. However, most of the time in these areas no entrances or karst windows can be found which is highly unusual as karst aquifers are normally active and maintained through sinking streams, dolines and water filled sinkholes. This leads many geologists to speculate that the Edwards Plateau karst aquifer is being fed by a very large and very deep unknown underground river.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You can visit the Tennessee/Kentucky/Missouri area and visit over 20,000 caves!! The tri-state region has more caves than any other place in the world! Kentucky also has the largest cave system, considered the largest as far and the length of the system in the world!
The one the OP listed is largest as far as the largest cavern size, but Mammoth caves outrank it by a huge margin in the length. I think the deepest is in the country of Georgia. (as opposed to the state of Georgia).

Kentucky doesn't get to brag very often, so we take our opportunities when they arise! LOL Nature is definitely our "thing". ... and Fort Knox....and horses....and basketball....and Bourbon....and women who hunt and fish as well as cook and look good.... oh wait, we're AWESOME!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Yeah I got confused, I meant to say West Virginia which is very close to the southern border of Pennsylvania. I DESPISE "show" caves, any real caver will tell you the same. Unless you're knee deep in water and mud, swimming through an underground river or repelling down the side of a solution shaft then it's not caving. I hate it when prize cave finds are made "accessible" for overweight and unfit tourists by making concrete walkways, stairs and stringing lights up.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Pretty amazing. Thanks OP!

Now why couldn't everyone step back in awe and embrace the beauty of this cave back in the 60's instead of killing 2 million fellow humans needlessly? This planet has so much more beauty than negativity once we leave all the governments out of it.

S&F

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Pretty amazing. Thanks OP!

Now why couldn't everyone step back in awe and embrace the beauty of this cave back in the 60's instead of killing 2 million fellow humans needlessly? This planet has so much more beauty than negativity once we leave all the governments out of it.

S&F

Yea, free love man...
Lol, yea that wouldve been nice but you know what wouldve happened if the US army had found it right?
They wouldve turned it into a bunker, then when they left, they wouldve destroyed it to keep it from being used against them or something along those lines.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join