It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange 'event' off the Eastern Coast of Sicily.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

.For your privacy, I will just say I know exactly where you live because I lived out there for 6 months. You live near the two US Navy bases NAS 1 and NAS 2. It is possible that it's just us.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Are you old man?

A little. But my eyes are still good. But I did mention a problem with my monitor was possible.

I darkened the image and can see the trails. However...
As I said, if they are loops they are very sloppy loops.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok fair enough.

I think the loops are at angles though. I don't think they are perpundicular (spelling isn't my strong suit) to the camera lens.

The one on the far left looks like I would have been able to see the top of the plane with wings on each side. Sort of came towards the camera first and then away as it began to level out.

She said she didn't see what made it. Maybe there were strong winds? Could have made the trails less coherent?

That's what it looks like to me.

As to the poster daynight42:

The video is not really worth much compared to the photos. It's in the 4th post page one.
HERE
edit on 6/10/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
fireworks. nothing more.
lame lame lameo

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

She said she didn't see what made it. Maybe there were strong winds? Could have made the trails less coherent?

Planes. Ok. I just didn't think trails like that could/would be left behind to seemingly 'appear' out of the sea without seeing what made them. But again if I was looking straight at the plane when it shot up in the air? It would look like a precise 90 degree turn from my perspective. That and the speed? I wouldn't see them until I heard them. Awwwww....

All in all an amazing example of something seemingly very 'off' with a perfectly reasonable explanation - though you couldn't have told me that at the time with the strange noise(s) - and the 'end times' looking seascape!

peace

edit on 10-6-2012 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Very interesting stuff, my family background is from Acireale so this thread immediately peaked my interest.
More so is the fact that I will be visiting Sicily in the next month.
Maybe ill get lucky enough to see something like this.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Well, I don't know they are Jets, but that's just what it feels like at this point. Gotta say my first reaction was Missiles. I still might be wrong.

Do you take a lot of pictures? You seem like a photography person.

As far as Strange sounds I heard the sky sounds. Wouldn't want you to think I go around being a robotic de-bunker would I?

Here

There ARE a lot of strange things going on in this world.
edit on 6/10/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Frost

I'm in hopes I'm lucky enough to do some filming of the 'air show' today - to compare it to the photos I already have. Problem is? Will I be able to see the 'show' from here? Is what I saw yesterday a 'dry run' for today's event or not? We'll see.

peace

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
reply to post by salamanda

The MiG-29 and Su-27 can both do cobra tail slides from take off if need be. Neither of which had vectored thrust, publicly demonstrated, in 1999 when the following video was shot.

Yes, you're quite right Majestic... as I said they're 'capable of doing such maneuvers'... but at sea level or ground level?? No pilot in their right mind would attempt such a maneuver... though I could be wrong. The stationery component of the maneuver is at the end of the sequence... hence, the precision would have to be absolutely spot-on and with NO margin of error whatsoever... and why would you?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Its looks/sounds like they were missile testing.. there is so much still going on on military bases that is never known by the general public. I doubt they meant it to go so close to shore, so the guidance system must have been off.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Yes, you're quite right Majestic... as I said they're 'capable of doing such maneuvers'... but at sea level or ground level?? No pilot in their right mind would attempt such a maneuver... though I could be wrong.

It is my experience that those crazy pilots at air shows do it all the time, sometimes paying with their lives.

For public consumption, you need to make it exciting... And viewable. Not so impressive when done at higher altitudes.

edit on 10-6-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

"Vectored Thrust" would be slow moving and easy to spot when you hear the noise.

Those trails are not 90 degree turns, they are sloping curves. They could easily be a hard pull-up. The vapor trail wouldn't be from the burn, it would be from compressing the humid air against the flight surfaces as the plane changed directions abruptly.

Look at the pics closer, you'll see a sweeping turn.

Yes, but vapour produced from 'hard pull ups'.. or any extreme application of the control surface, is very temporary. It's effectively 'cloud' produced from a rapid decrease in air-pressure behind the control surface, causing the temperature to drop through the atmospheric 'dew point' at that moment in time... once the disturbed air re-calibrates back to 'atmosphere' the 'cloud' disappears again... very quickly.

My reference to the 'vector thrust' aircraft was only to address the 'vertical' line of the plume issue; the fact that it started and finished vertical and with no evidence of an entry point or horizontal approach... but again, it a red hearing as they're all jet turbine aircraft burning kero, which wont leave residual plumes such as these, let along for any length of time... hence my conclusion of 'missile' and a 'rocket fuel' burn plume... hydrogen and oxygen mix.

The best example of this... a shuttle launch. The burning (controlled explosion to be more exact) of H and O2 = Water Vapour = 'CLOUD'

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by getreadyalready

"Vectored Thrust" would be slow moving and easy to spot when you hear the noise.

Those trails are not 90 degree turns, they are sloping curves. They could easily be a hard pull-up. The vapor trail wouldn't be from the burn, it would be from compressing the humid air against the flight surfaces as the plane changed directions abruptly.

Look at the pics closer, you'll see a sweeping turn.

I was thinking the "trails" left by an airshow plane would be generated by a smoke generator installed on the plane. Such as this one: Example 1.
edit on 10-6-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

Actually Ive only just now seen these new and improved pics (the close ups)... these show something quite different to what was described in the original post (along the lines of vertical trails, straight up from the ocean).

These appear to show a horizontal entry into the vertical line... which brings aircraft back into the equation.

The question is 'How long after the 'sound' were these trails evident in the sky for?'. Aerobatic smoke, et exhaust plumes etc wont maintain their shape and form for very long, even on very calm days. These look to me like they'd only be 10 mins or less old of they came from an aircraft.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
maybe drones of some type?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
If it was a sub missile launch (probably less than likely, but not impossible) who has missile subs in the region? It's for sure there's a U.S. ballistic sub in the Med. Do the Italians have any? Brits?

That brings to my mind a couple of other questions. The U.S. uses ballistic subs for conventional missile launches. Does anybody have the capability to launch shorter range missiles from torpedo tubes? Does anybody have missile tubes on regular attack subs?

After seeing the pics I'm leaning toward acrobatic practice for tomorrows' air show. But, I'm not ready to conclude that it is. There has been some peculiar things in that region these last few days and some odd rumors.

I've never seen missile launches from subs not come out very near vertical. These seem to follow a shallower path at first.
edit on 9-6-2012 by Erectus because: Addition

I tend to agree with you.But subs go to great legnths not to be found.Or let their location be known.They do launch missiles from time to time to test them.Generally there are support ships around to help protect them.Remember submarines are the silent service and try not to be found.But that sure looks like a missle launch to me.I have seen them before.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
It was the Red Arrows. You can just make them out in pics 3&4. Seriously though, interesting happenings....

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The question is 'How long after the 'sound' were these trails evident in the sky for?'. Aerobatic smoke, et exhaust plumes etc wont maintain their shape and form for very long, even on very calm days. These look to me like they'd only be 10 mins or less old of they came from an aircraft.

peace

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Interesting stuff.
Could it be fireworks?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Can I just saay that I read this last night, thought it was interesting, and went to bed. And I had a dream about people asking me if I heard to rumbling and saw the smoke... I find it odd that I wake up and you guys concluded it was jets.. Why? I would have nevr posted the pics if it woulda been jets, and so I cant imagine jets duped the op. I dont buy jets.. I may have to call some relatives.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Interesting stuff.
Could it be fireworks?

This makes me chuckle but not at your account. How could you know! Here? Fireworks are a BIG deal. And constantly a big deal. All the time. Every weekend this time of year and during the day as well as the night.

But, in all the years I've lived here I've never seen a firework over the water that resembles a rocket launch - and - I've yet to see a firework I didn't hear!

Here's an example - a small one - of the daytime fireworks from just last weekend. The photo was taken from the same vantage point and a little to the left of the pics I included in this thread.

Love your contribution though - really - it gives me a chance to talk about the culture here and to definitely rule out fireworks.

Have a great Sunday!

peace

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join