It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange 'event' off the Eastern Coast of Sicily.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Maybe you should look again.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by butcherguy

The Italian team (Frecce Tricolori) which will be in the airshow uses jets. These jets:
en.wikipedia.org...

Ok, I didn't check your link before.

If these M339's were the culprits (I admit to never having seen them fly), I suspect that it was two of them, coming off the deck with smoke 'on', then performing an inverted loop, smoke 'off' at the beginning of the loop, leaving a residual trail afterwards.

Judging by pic containing all the trails.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

reply to post by butcherguy

The Italian team (Frecce Tricolori) which will be in the airshow uses jets. These jets:
en.wikipedia.org...

Ok, I didn't check your link before.

If these M339's were the culprits (I admit to never having seen them fly), I suspect that it was two of them, coming off the deck with smoke 'on', then performing an inverted loop, smoke 'off' at the beginning of the loop, leaving a residual trail afterwards.

Judging by pic containing all the trails.

I can see that. Which is why I was disagreeing with Phage...
I traced the paths and this isn't a vertical stall at all.
See?

Nice Job

edit on 6/9/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

You are assuming those are continuous paths? Why use such a low quality image?
What about this image? This is the tailslide I am talking about.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I see the Jet...

And yes the 3rd Jet did do that...

My picture shows the first 2... Which are to the left in the frame.

You cannot see the continuous path?

I guess we are both right. I wasn't watching the 3rd trail.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Good, Now look at this video one more time. Notice the shape of the trail at the end. Notice the position of the aircraft. Compare it to the image.

In any case, we should know tomorrow if it's the aerobats.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

the smoke trails look like they are coming out of the water ..

dunno for sure.. but viewing the video, kinda looks like missile launches from subs ..

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I see no loop...

I know from another angle there would be a "loop"

I understand air currents.

These other two loops are not caused in the same way IMO.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Who said anything about a loop? The other trails may be loops but if they are they are very sloppy.
All I have been doing is showing that these trails are left by aerobatic aircraft.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I was agreeing with that the whole time. I may not have made it clear.
I was in the Army. Patriot Missile Fire Control Never deployed. Medical discharge. I did train though.

I said "If this is a missile it's not any technology I've ever seen."
And "The smoke trail is parallel to the ground at first."
And "Yes I agree with this post about the loops and smoke off by butcher.. Makes sense."

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Why has the conversation become so set on the idea that it is just a jet or a missile, perhaps it is something else?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I was agreeing with that the whole time.

Oh.
Never mind.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeguy
Why has the conversation become so set on the idea that it is just a jet or a missile, perhaps it is something else?
Well, give us something that fits better, and we shall chew on it.

There is an air show scheduled to happen nearby and soon. The planes in the show could easily have made the trails in question.

ETA:
Missiles are pretty much ruled out. Not many fly on the deck, then pull a loop and roll out of it into level flight again.... In normal operations.
edit on 9-6-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

As to the noise, if they are traveling at high speeds you never hear them until they are going away from you. If one flew over low and fast and then pulled up abruptly, you probably would not see it unless it happened to pick up a glare or reflection from the sun.

I've not read the thread yet from your post on - but - I want to thank you for explaining this 'phenomena' to me without being side or self righteous about it.

Facts are I didn't see planes. Whatever 'type' they were (if they were) sounded extremely strange - and I hear jets all the time here. That combined with taking videos, looking down a moment and then wham - more 'trails'? It was, well, not scary but (obviously) got my attention big time.

Yes, there is an air show scheduled - but again - not seeing any planes, and, I've no doubt if 'something was up' it would be, in fact, scheduled around a training exercise or show.

Anyway, thank you again for your tact and time.

peace

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why use such a low quality image?

This is not a 'low quality' image. This is a ZOOM on a very small part of an overall image that's not been rendered smaller - in it's original form it's 59x33 inches.

peace

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I realize the originals are high quality.

I wasn't talking about the image in my post. I was talking about another one. This one:

Unless something is wrong with my monitor, I don't see the loops in the trails where the lines are drawn because of the low resolution or because they are not there.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hopefully, you'll have a good view of the proceedings today and can make a good comparison, Silo
They'll probably use multicolour smoke for at least part of the display. I'm a bit jealous that you have such a nice vantage point of the show (not to mention Etna!).

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by salamanda

"Vectored Thrust" would be slow moving and easy to spot when you hear the noise.

Those trails are not 90 degree turns, they are sloping curves. They could easily be a hard pull-up. The vapor trail wouldn't be from the burn, it would be from compressing the humid air against the flight surfaces as the plane changed directions abruptly.

Look at the pics closer, you'll see a sweeping turn.

I was thinking the "trails" left by an airshow plane would be generated by a smoke generator installed on the plane. Such as this one: Example 1.
edit on 10-6-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Unless something is wrong with my monitor, I don't see the loops in the trails where the lines are drawn because of the low resolution or because they are not there.

Come on photography expert don't play dumb. You either get to be dumb or smart. Not both.

Lower your brightness.

I just put mine on a normal level (ie. Raised it, a lot. I have sensitive eyes) and the smoke trails fade into the background at the top.

Lower brightness. You will see it then.

I encourage everyone to lower their brightness. I would edit the image, but I don't have that skill, and I don't know if you can even do that in MS Paint.

Look at the monitor at an angle if you have LCD. (tilt your laptop back)

Are you old man?
edit on 6/10/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

reply to post by Starchildren

Not always.
Not on ATS.

Exactly.

The absurdity and willingness to "want to believe" is overwhelming. People are also starting to deliberately lie, and then say they were joking. (not funny to me, either.) As if there aren't enough hoaxes without people deliberately lying to see how many people star them for only anecdotal claims.

Also, I thought there was going to be a video. Still waiting...?
edit on 10-6-2012 by daynight42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join