It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Land Of The Free No Longer

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
You are right to some extent that the only intelligent Americans are a minority fringe group. Although there's a majority of just plain idiotic Americans, there's also a large chunk of us who aren't stupid, but just refuse to open their eyes.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

You may be right about that... and that's why I said first they need to help themselves.

For starters, one should take the Occupy (fill in the geocode reference of your choosing here) as an example. As a group they can't come to consensus on what direction they should take at any given time. They are a small fringe group of those who actually want change.

We, those who see the deeper problem are an even smaller fringe group, and as you can see by a majority of the topics and posts on ATS alone, most if not all threads cant seem to run their course without attacks...without intervention from the "Government" (in this case, the ATS moderators) which precisely underscores the problem you lay out here. We certainly can't help ourselves if it seems everyone ELSE has the right answer and is unwilling to accept that they may either be wrong, or that their right way is not the only way with value or merit.

No one single man can solve all the problems.

This is quite true. It can't be expected.

And quite frankly I think it's a bit lazy to think one can elect the right man for the job and expect him to fix everything, and then hackle the hell out of him when he doesn't do a good enough job.

Honestly I think you view it far too simplistically. The lobbying groups and those who are staunchly toeing their party lines do so irrespective of the consequences for one reason and one reason only....the money that is in it for them personally by doing so. The dual party system would work just FINE if voters voted their conscience and not their parties. I would easily elect a homeless man or woman with no education if they had the basic understanding of right and wrong and every one of their thoughts were that of maintaining America with American values (traditional values, not values that seem to crop up every day with the swinging moods of Facebook or polls on MSN).

Of course it's important to have a trustworthy and intelligent leader... but first they need to help themselves by facing reality and electing that leader who has the plans required to solve the hard problems.

The problem with you stating this is that EVERY candidate makes such blanket statement. You know who I would trust? A guy or Gal who gets up there and says "look, I honestly dont KNOW how to fix it all at the moment, it's so complex and so deeply engrained that it's a LOT to sift through. All I can say is that I will do EVERYTHING I can to separate the chaff from the wheat".

What you don't do is rely on a corporate pretty boy who makes a bunch of shallow promises and expect him to fix everything, I cannot even begin to express the ignorance of that decision. Caught again by the lies, hook, line and sinker...

Of course not, I agree. UNLESS this pretty boy who makes such shallow promises actually makes GOOD on those promises rendering them no longer shallow.
edit on 7-6-2012 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by superballs

Artist: Lee Greenwood
Song: Proud To Be An American

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

I have been lurking this site for awhile, but you, if you are truly a fellow American, have embarrassed me so much I felt inclined to sign up to reply.

You truly have no concept of Freedom. Your lifestyle does not "piss me off". It makes me sad for you and others like you.

For the record, I have lived your "lifestyle" and have shed it for a lifestyle of self-sufficiency, independence and true freedom. I am still far from where I would like to/will be someday. My life is full of difficulties and hardships, yet I do not regret my decisions to see reality and prepare for it. Plus the feeling of awaking and hope for true independence is an incredible experience.
What infuriates me the most is your posting of this song. You have no clue of what it even means.

Your words do not qualify as "standing up to defend America".

In fact I am pretty sure if/when the time comes to "stand to defend America" you will not be standing at all.

[snip]

edit on 7-6-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Wonderful post, and very true. (Although I do think you give Bin Laden a bit too much credit... I think the government may have been in on that - but that's another thread.)

The debt gets larger and your freedoms slowly get stripped away from you as a sacrifice for security.

This is the honest truth. Americans are giving up freedoms left and right, and no one bats an eye at it because it's in the name of "our security" or "our health".

Even my own husband - we were just discussing the new law (or law to be?) in NYC about restricting portion sizes for sodas. Yes, soda isn't good for you, I think everyone knows that, but why should the government be allowed to tell you how big of a soda you can get? My husband thinks it's a brilliant idea! He thinks it's in our best interest and therefore it is completely acceptable for the government to put these restrictions in place.

It makes me want to scream! Everyone is perfectly content with how the country is being run because everything is "for our own good". I wish Americans would just open their eyes already, but unfortunately, like someone said before me - that won't happen until they wake up one day and finally realize they have absolutely no freedom left whatsoever.

Your quote above reminded me of something:

And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

Source

...and that is definitely where we are headed.

Way to go, America!

edit on 6/7/2012 by samara11278 because: Enter Source

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Blacksheep1

man america is great

i love this place

since u hate it here so much why are u still here?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by samara11278

sry was just tyring to make a post didnt mean to reply to your post

sry

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Excellent Post!

I would like to state that it is my opinion, that what brought us here to the state we are in today, is the monopolization and centralization of power and wealth by the elite at the top.

Those elite at the top consist of Multi National Corporations and Big Wall Street Banks that have their men run as politicians or simply giving their wealth to men they want to back.

It is Fascism to the core.
They are beefing up the police state to ensure their survival and domination over the little people. It is not, after all a government represented by the people anymore, but by the elite. It is after all not Joe Six Pack that are politicians in our government.

I believe in Freedom of Speech, but allowing money to equal freedom of speech, gives others, more power of speech that the majority do not have.

There is no question, that if money = freedom of speech, then those with the most money would merge and control the government as is the case now. That is Fascism which our founding fathers were against.

Those that support such policies, are not supporting the same policies that are founding fathers supported where the government is supposed to represent all people rather than the few, and that all voices should be heard.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Jacobe, I want to say I starred you for your post.

However, there are a couple of things I would like to say regarding it that I have heard many times, and in some ways it irks me.

Originally posted by jacobe001

I would like to state that it is my opinion, that what brought us here to the state we are in today, is the monopolization and centralization of power and wealth by the elite at the top.

This in particular. We truly GIVE them that power by doing what I said on one of the first posts I made in this thread. By being unwilling to give up some of our luxuries and bloated sense of security we cede that power to them. It kind of reminds me of the opening scene of Joe versus the Volcano. Where people are like little robots trudging along on their way to work as zombies because they SEE no other way to survive....so by traveling their zombie lives and their zombie roads to the "factory" they have this sense of security and hence cede that power to the ones controlling it.

Those elite at the top consist of Multi National Corporations and Big Wall Street Banks that have their men run as politicians or simply giving their wealth to men they want to back.

You're right. But ultimately we still have the choice on whether or not to elect them. Think about it, if the WHOLE, as a country decided there, in FACT was an individual who was better suited for the job, he could be written in and they would have no choice but to put him in office. [sarcasm]But who is going to take the time to do THAT[/sarcasm]

I believe in Freedom of Speech, but allowing money to equal freedom of speech, gives others, more power of speech that the majority do not have.

Indeed.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by superballs

you guys a bunch of whiney cry babys

Seriously... I think it's about high time you stopped the unnecessary name calling...

You seem to forget the soul of America is it's people, not a god damn flag...

You give more support to the status quo of America rather than real Americans...

Here you are slinging disgusting insults at your fellow Americans left right and center...

You sir are the most Un-American person I've ever met...

I would alert the mods to your distasteful behavior in this thread but I'm not a cry baby...

Every extra thing you say only highlights just how ignorant you are anyway...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

you guys a bunch of whiney cry babys

Seriously... I think it's about high time you stopped the unnecessary name calling...

You seem to forget the soul of America is it's people, not a god damn flag...

You give more support to the status quo of America rather than real Americans...

Here you are slinging disgusting insults at your fellow Americans left right and center...

You sir are the most Un-American person I've ever met...

I would alert the mods to your distasteful behavior in this thread but I'm not a cry baby...

Every extra thing you say only highlights just how ignorant you are anyway...

you know australia is a nato member right?

you know your guys were there every time america did something so atrocious aussies were right there next to them

so what have you done about it man?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Yeah and I can do all of those same things in Australia, and in dozens of different countries, and probably like every single 1st world nation... you're completely missing the point.
edit on 6-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

as i read it, we americans are, how did you put it "a bunch of morons"...oh!! please!!! i can't wait to see your next post on how terrible we americans are!!
i hope some day we will be able to match the intellect of the australian citizen.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

you know your guys were there every time america did something so atrocious aussies were right there next to them

Yes, of course I realize that, Australia is often right behind America with everything they get involved in. There was a poster on the last page who said perhaps I should focus more on the problems of my own country rather than showing so much concern for another country... and it is concern (not hate) whether you choose to see it that way or not. The truth is I realize how important the actions of the United States are when it comes to world affairs and international relationships... furthermore, I don't just care about my own country and "screw everyone else" as you essentially put it. I care about all people in the world unlike some people, and again I realize how important the actions of the United States are when it comes to world affairs and the life people are forced to live in other countries, including my own country. I care for your freedoms in the same way I care for the freedoms of everyone on this planet... I am not condemning anyone for the "atrocious" activities they may have been involved in, I am simply asking that we acknowledge these problems and that we try and fix these problems so that we can avoid such atrocious activities in the future. It's time you take off your blinders and look at what I'm saying with a wider scope, because your point of view is so simple and narrow minded all I can do is sign in disbelief...
edit on 7-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join